2009 - 2014 F-150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Remote Starter - Factory or Aftermarket?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 09:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sundevil2188
Pay a shop to do it. Peace of mind my friend. If he frys a computer your looking at least a grand to replace it. If you get the 5900 (which i recommend highly) you can get it installed through Best Buy (where I work) for $200. Save 80 now or have potential to cost a lot more later? Just remember, you get what you pay for.
sounds like scare tactics...I'm not worried.

The guy is a certified DEI installer, and used to do all of the Ford installs at a local dealer too. He installed a remote start in my brother's F150 last year with no problems.

and I know how to install these systems myself too, I have done 3 of them and never had a single problem. I just don't have the time or patience (mainly the time) to do another right now.

Old 03-26-2009, 09:09 PM
there is no disarm wiring coming from the truck so even if the rmst system has a disarm output there is nothing to hook it up to.

Old 03-26-2009, 09:21 PM
Originally Posted by KCAutosound
Yep it's the 6 button system. I put them on two Platinums today.

Can I re-program my existing hardware to the new 6-button FOBs - or do I have to trash what I have and install new hardware?

Thanks for sharing your expertise!

Old 03-26-2009, 09:29 PM
if i am not mistake the six buttons won't work because the software is different from the older 4 button systems.

Old 03-26-2009, 09:58 PM
The Viper 5901 can not be disarmed with the door keypad. There is no manual disarm input wire on any DEI systems except a add-on alarm to factory keyless entry. If I am wrong please correct me. I have explored the installation manual of this unit pretty deep and even talked to some DEI techs and they have confirmed that it will not do this.
I've never actually done it myself, but ive heard of other installers having done it. The thread that i saw it on is on a company forum so I cant exactly link to it...I'll see if I can get some more info on it when i get back to work next week...I wanna say it required an add on module though, such as the one that controls your windows. But you have been doing this a helluva lot longer then i have so you are probablly right...

Originally Posted by SteveVFX4
sounds like scare tactics...I'm not worried.

The guy is a certified DEI installer, and used to do all of the Ford installs at a local dealer too. He installed a remote start in my brother's F150 last year with no problems.

and I know how to install these systems myself too, I have done 3 of them and never had a single problem. I just don't have the time or patience (mainly the time) to do another right now.
Just trying to look out for you. Ive seen too many of the "my buddy is an electrical engineer and will do it for a 6 pack" screw ups to let someone with a brand new beautiful truck get into something like that without knowing what the possibly consequences may be

Old 03-26-2009, 10:57 PM
clifford remote start

my alarm guy is installing a clifford system remote stat alarm into my truck tomorrow he has been installing them in fords for many years and has no problem with everything working correctly.he informed me that the system in the fords is an audiovox alarm its not a factory system it just has the ford logo on the fobs they outsource it as ford does not make their own alarm system.

Old 03-26-2009, 11:01 PM
^yes we already knew that for years, Ford systems are made by Code Alarm or Code Systems, which is part of the Audiovox corporation.

Old 03-27-2009, 01:26 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by new09f150
my alarm guy is installing a clifford system remote stat alarm into my truck tomorrow he has been installing them in fords for many years and has no problem with everything working correctly.he informed me that the system in the fords is an audiovox alarm its not a factory system it just has the ford logo on the fobs they outsource it as ford does not make their own alarm system.
You have a Platinum, right? Let us know how the install goes, cause the Clifford is the same as the Viper, and I'm looking at getting one of those installed into my Platinum but want to make sure it will work fine.

Old 03-27-2009, 09:22 AM
^yes we already knew that for years, Ford systems are made by Code Alarm or Code Systems, which is part of the Audiovox corporation.
You know the crazy thing Steve. I spoke to Audiovox again and they still saying that the platinum cant have the remote start system fitted. I was like look mate i have seen a few peole with it put on there trucks and he said that if they were done on platinums then they have been done the incorrect way and would not be covered under warrenty if there was a electrical fault or fire damage you would not be covered.

What on earth is going on at audiovox. Glad to hear viper have sorted out their syste to work on the platinum now though.

Old 03-27-2009, 09:40 AM
^yeah that makes no sense since the guys on here like KCautosound have installed the Audiovox/Ford remote starts and 6-button alarms systems on over 30 platinums with no problems at all.

and like I said on the other forum, the guy from Viper didn't really say there was anything special about the Platinum, rather all of the 09's had a new immobilizer/pats bypass that was different from the 08's but that their PKFM bypass module has been updated to work with the 09's.

Old 03-27-2009, 09:42 AM
That's just silly. The only Audiovox/Code Alarm techs you need to be talking to are Roy or Frank. The other young guys just butt heads with me. Then Roy smacks them around and tells them "don't you know who he is"...lol

I've put about 20+ Ford Gold systems, Code Alarm systems and many Compustar systems on the 09s. Nothing has changed on them except a couple wire locations and that's it. Today I have two more to work on. Been good business now that the 09 are here.

Old 03-27-2009, 09:48 AM
^yeah that makes no sense since the guys on here like KCautosound have installed the Audiovox/Ford remote starts and 6-button alarms systems on over 30 platinums with no problems at all.

and like I said on the other forum, the guy from Viper didn't really say there was anything special about the Platinum, rather all of the 09's had a new immobilizer/pats bypass that was different from the 08's but that their PKFM bypass module has been updated to work with the 09's.
I think i am seeing a pattern here. I recon directed get all there infomation from Audiovox about the way the alarm functions and if they tell me this then perhaps they tell directed the same thing and thats why clifford was telling me almost the same thing about the platinum.

Old 03-27-2009, 09:53 AM
Originally Posted by Truck HOg
Can I re-program my existing hardware to the new 6-button FOBs - or do I have to trash what I have and install new hardware?

Thanks for sharing your expertise!
Sorry I missed this one. What is that you have now? Not all the 6 buttons have a function on the F150. You can connect the number one button to turn the headlights on for 30 seconds if you wire a relay. The older Ford 4 buttons would do this by holding the lock button down. I rarely ever connect this option. The real function of the 1 and 2 buttons are for a van with motorized doors or for the vehicles with a automatic lift gate.

Old 03-27-2009, 05:44 PM
i put in 2 to 3 compustar remote starters a day in to everything from a 09 Focus to 09 F450 and there hasn't been one issue with any of them.

Old 03-27-2009, 10:05 PM
Sorry I missed this one. What is that you have now? Not all the 6 buttons have a function on the F150. You can connect the number one button to turn the headlights on for 30 seconds if you wire a relay. The older Ford 4 buttons would do this by holding the lock button down. I rarely ever connect this option. The real function of the 1 and 2 buttons are for a van with motorized doors or for the vehicles with a automatic lift gate.
I had the Dealer installed one button in my Platinum (before I found this Forum). It would be great if I could combine my remote entry FOB with the remote start FOB without having to throw away the remote start kit the Dealer installed... is this possible? or will I just have to start over with an aftermarket kit to get one FOB?

Thanks again!

Quick Reply: Remote Starter - Factory or Aftermarket?