2009 - 2014 F-150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Speaker upgrade??

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2009, 11:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Speaker upgrade??

Bottom line, the stereo BLOWS! I was thinking about getting some aftermarket speakers installed, but want to keep the stock head unit. Is this possible?? I have a REG cab SHORT bed and I can't stand the muddy cheap sound that the stereo produces. I don't need anything special. Just components, no sub. Can this be done with the stock head unit? Will I need a amp?

Old 08-16-2009, 11:15 PM
sure, why not, I installed some component speakers in my 04 F150 and ran them off the factory head unit and it was a nice improvement over stock. No amp needed. I also got some speaker wiring adapters so that I didn't have to cut any stock wires at all.

Old 08-17-2009, 08:54 AM
Just a question nadz but are you 12 years old?

Old 08-17-2009, 10:28 AM
Yes, it's an easy upgrade. When you pull the factory speakers you will be surprised how cheap they are. Basically laminated cardboard. Get a good set of 5x7's or 6x8's, and they will mount right in the same spot. As Steve said, getting yourself a set of speaker harnesses is a $5 way to get yourself out of alot of headaches with wiring. With the right tools, you can swap out both doors is probably an hour.

You shouldn't need an amp to drive new speakers. They just won't be 'all they can be'.

Oh, and nice first post Blue09. What are you, 10?

Old 08-17-2009, 11:22 AM
As mentioned, running them off the head unit will work fine, but you wont get everything out of the speakers that they are capable of putting out. I am running a system off my headunit, but have amps and a processor hooked up as well.

Old 08-17-2009, 08:34 PM
As long as it sounds 50% better than stock, I'll be happy. Trying to get around spending all that money on amps, wiring, etc.

Old 08-17-2009, 09:07 PM
Is the procedure for front speaker replacement as easy in an '09 as it was in an '04-'08 (I'm assuming the rear still involves door panel removal)?

Old 08-18-2009, 10:00 AM
Originally Posted by cdiddy4224
As mentioned, running them off the head unit will work fine, but you wont get everything out of the speakers that they are capable of putting out. I am running a system off my headunit, but have amps and a processor hooked up as well.
Is the difference in sound quality worth it and how much trouble is it. I don't want to change my head unit but, I'm definately looking at other options because the this stereo sounds like it came out of a '75 Dodge. I traded an '05 silverado with a bose system that was very impressive. listening to a good CD was like sitting in a room with surround sound. My truck is work/personal so for practical puposes I did not need or want a lariat and I think it is sad on Ford's part that this is the best they could do for a stereo in an XLT with no other option available to the buyer. This was almost a deal breaker but, I was sold on the ride and build quality.

Old 08-18-2009, 12:06 PM
Originally Posted by BigTRQ
Is the procedure for front speaker replacement as easy in an '09 as it was in an '04-'08 (I'm assuming the rear still involves door panel removal)?
You have to remove the door panels in the front and rear to change the speakers in the 09's.

Old 08-18-2009, 06:15 PM
Originally Posted by ibcop
You have to remove the door panels in the front and rear to change the speakers in the 09's.
True. The fronts are easy though. Four bolts and it lifts off.

Old 08-18-2009, 06:18 PM
Originally Posted by Boataddict
True. The fronts are easy though. Four bolts and it lifts off.
What about the door handles, wiring, etc.?

Old 08-18-2009, 06:49 PM
Originally Posted by BigTRQ
What about the door handles, wiring, etc.?
Once you have the door panel up, ensure you lift it high enough to get the "fingers" clear of the door panel. Another words, don't pull it towrds you - go straight up.

Once the panel has cleared - hold it in one hand and with the other, push in the two clips holding the door handle. Once it's released, it will slide back through the door panel. The simply disconnect the window harnesses and power mirror harness and your set.

Take you time when you re-install - you'll have to slide your hand behind the door panel where the door lock rod is in order to line it up with the hole in the panel.

Piece of cake!

Old 12-02-2009, 11:28 AM
I replaced all my speaker in my 09 supercab. The first door (front pass side) took me a while to figure out. but switched all other three door speakers in less then an hour. It was just the first step in a full speaker upgrade. Upgrade includes speakers, subs, and amps running of factory head unit. Should be completed in about a week. I will be posting a detailed review once complete.

Old 12-02-2009, 06:45 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ibcop
You can also do the fronts just by removing the grilles only, not the door panels.

Old 12-02-2009, 09:13 PM
Swapping out the amp and subwoofer while keeping the head unit is just what I need. Any info would be great. Can only imagine how many adapters would be required.

Quick Reply: Speaker upgrade??