2004 - 2008 F-150

Oil Sludge ruined??

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2015, 10:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil Sludge ruined??

Ok so I bought this 04 F150 for $1000 knowing I might need to do an engine swap. So tonight I decided to start tearing into it to check the timing chain and tensioner and guides etc... I got as far as pulling one valve cover off and stopped after what I found underneath. My question is, is this motor trashed with all this sludge or is it salvageable?

Old 09-15-2015, 08:37 AM
Holy crap, that is a lot of gross. How did it run? Did it make any specific noises, or have any codes thrown? Have you done a compression test? It's hard to tell if the motor is fixable just by looking at pictures.

Old 09-15-2015, 09:12 AM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
Looks like what you have is a truck that may not have ever had an oil change.

If it runs ok, clean the sludge out the best you can and drop the oil pan and clean it along with the oil pump screen and see how long it will last. Try not to leave any loose sludge.

A long time ago, I bought a 59 chevy Impala ($100)that had sludge like that in the engine because the PO used non-detergent oil in it. Then he got a wild hair and put detergent oil in it. The detergent oil started breaking up the sludge under the valve covers and plugged the oil drain holes such that the oil level in the valve cover was higher than the valve guides. This resulted in oil running down the valve stems into the engine and it smoked like a coal burning train. I cleaned the heads and pulled the intake manifold and scooped out the sludge. Got about a bucket of sludge out. Then I drove it and it didn't smoke and didn't burn all that much oil. After about 6 months of use, I sold it for $150.

Old 09-15-2015, 10:11 AM
Well it doesn't want to run Lol. It sounds like it's going to fly apart. As soon as you take off the oil pressure drops to zero when you let off of slow down the oil pressure is back up obviously from sucking sludge into the pick up screen. There are codes but I haven't had them read and the wrench light is on. Clearly this didn't happen overnight and the guy had been driving it like this for a while so I'm not sure if it would be worth cleaning it out and spending the money and time to take a chance. I'm thinking a used junkyard motor would be the quick and easy fix

Old 09-15-2015, 10:44 AM
have to agree that a used motor would be the quickest way to get it on the road again. But I would do two things before making that decision.
First, a compression/leak down test. If one or more cylinders fail, then it's probable that there are major issues that just aren't worth your time to fix.
Second, pull the camshafts off and look for excessive scoring. If the heads haven't been getting enough lubrication, they will be toast. It just doesn't seem like it's worth the time and money to replace them, when the bottom of the motor may also be shot.
If all that checks out though, you'll probably be fine to clean it up and replace the timing system. If you get a used motor, there is a good chance you'll have to replace the timing system in that too.

Old 09-15-2015, 11:16 AM
Well I have till March to get it running so there's no hurry. I'm not real impressed with the 5.4 2004 and up. I have an 03 and glad I don't have to deal with the 3V vct setup. That was another thought, if I go used I will put in as much money as buying reman by the time I buy the timing setup and all new gaskets. I'm not sure about the reputation of powertrainproducts re manufactured engines but they sell it for $3200. I can't find a junkyard motor under $2000 and they all have 150k plus miles on them. Maybe I'll do as you suggested. Start out with a compression and leak down test.
Originally Posted by Lewissa81
have to agree that a used motor would be the quickest way to get it on the road again. But I would do two things before making that decision.
First, a compression/leak down test. If one or more cylinders fail, then it's probable that there are major issues that just aren't worth your time to fix.
Second, pull the camshafts off and look for excessive scoring. If the heads haven't been getting enough lubrication, they will be toast. It just doesn't seem like it's worth the time and money to replace them, when the bottom of the motor may also be shot.
If all that checks out though, you'll probably be fine to clean it up and replace the timing system. If you get a used motor, there is a good chance you'll have to replace the timing system in that too.

Old 09-15-2015, 11:23 AM
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Sorry, but there's not a chance I'd put that engine back in service without a full rebuild after having the block hot-tanked. I doubt it would be as expensive as buying a reman engine, as bearings/gaskets/seals aren't too expensive. Eventually that gunk is going to fall out/plug up the oil galley and the engine will be toast in short order. I'd also trust my own work more than some reman company, but that's just me.

As long as there's no permanent damage to the cams/crank journals, I'd rebuilt it with a basic cylinder hone, have the heads cleaned up thoroughly, and put new VCT/seals in it.

Old 09-15-2015, 01:24 PM
The only thing I have experience rebuilding is 2 stroke engines. I don't have any tools to check specs/clearances or to rebuild an engine. I can do any of the basics except for that.

Originally Posted by SoonerTruck
Sorry, but there's not a chance I'd put that engine back in service without a full rebuild after having the block hot-tanked. I doubt it would be as expensive as buying a reman engine, as bearings/gaskets/seals aren't too expensive. Eventually that gunk is going to fall out/plug up the oil galley and the engine will be toast in short order. I'd also trust my own work more than some reman company, but that's just me.

As long as there's no permanent damage to the cams/crank journals, I'd rebuilt it with a basic cylinder hone, have the heads cleaned up thoroughly, and put new VCT/seals in it.

Old 09-15-2015, 01:30 PM
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Kevin Still
The only thing I have experience rebuilding is 2 stroke engines. I don't have any tools to check specs/clearances or to rebuild an engine. I can do any of the basics except for that.
No need to. Any machine shop/engine shop will check all of that for you for minimal cost while you are having the block cleaned/honed. When you get it back, it's just assembly like any other engine.

Old 09-15-2015, 02:33 PM
That might be a considerable option. I'll have to price everything. I just found an 07 engine with my vin code for $2300 at my local salvage yard. 120k miles. Would you still rebuild or just swap?

Originally Posted by SoonerTruck
No need to. Any machine shop/engine shop will check all of that for you for minimal cost while you are having the block cleaned/honed. When you get it back, it's just assembly like any other engine.

Old 09-15-2015, 03:47 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Oil Sludge ruined??

That might be a considerable option. I'll have to price everything. I just found an 07 engine with my vin code for $2300 at my local salvage yard. 120k miles. Would you still rebuild or just swap?
You have no idea what condition that engine is in or how it's been maintained. I would put my $$ in a rebuild or new long block.

Old 09-15-2015, 08:50 PM
Honestly the more I read about the 3v 5.4 the more I want to scrap the idea and just re sell this truck. It sounds like a very poor design of an engine.

Old 09-15-2015, 09:14 PM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
The oil pump screen is probably almost completely plugged up causing the loss of oil pressure. If you drive it any more, first drop the oil pan and clean it out along with the pump screen. In fact clean the entire engine all you can before driving it any more. But, lets face it. That engine is probably toast. For the money you paid for it, a used engine may be the way to go. Or sell it to get your money back if you don't want to deal with it.

Old 09-15-2015, 10:11 PM
Honestly the more I read about the 3v 5.4 the more I want to scrap the idea and just re sell this truck. It sounds like a very poor design of an engine.
If you live in or near Alabama, I'll buy it from you! Lol

Old 09-15-2015, 10:17 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Oil Sludge ruined??

I had a 2005, loved that engine, 135,000 trouble free. I would not hesitate to buy another that had proper maintenance done.

Quick Reply: Oil Sludge ruined??