2004 - 2008 F-150

04 Performance Issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2015, 01:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
04 Performance Issues

I have an 04 FX4 with the 5.4L 3v. About 15000 KM ago I had my engine replaced due to the VCT phaser issues. It was running good, but lately it has no power.

Once it gets warm, it will bog down around 2000rpm and not want to gain any more speed or rpm, then eventually, it seems to recover and has power again.

It had one code P2006 for the imrc and my mechanic replaced the motor (said mine was seized). I still have no power when accelerating and if I do a scan, I still see code P2006 showing. I use torque to read my codes and it says it may only clear after 'x' number of drive cycles.

The battery has been disconnected and the codes have been cleared, but this P2006 keeps coming back. (doesn't turn CEL on)

The plugs were replaced with the new engine, but the COP's were not. The original parts will have around 165,000 km on them now.

Any ideas on what might still be causing me issues? I thought the imcr wouldn't bug me until I got over 3000 rpm, but I am struggling to get it that high. I did stick my inspection camera in there to see if the clips were still attached and they are. My mechanic says he can see in his scan tool that the voltages are changing at the imrc as well.

I don't know if I could stick my camera in there and see if the imrc valves are moving when the rpms are raised or not? Does anyone know if it happens in park when opening the throttle?

Old 05-29-2015, 10:24 AM
Once it gets warm, it will bog down around 2000rpm and not want to gain any more speed or rpm,
Sounds like the CATS may be clogged???

Old 05-29-2015, 12:31 PM
Originally Posted by RevBiker
Sounds like the CATS may be clogged???
We had thought that too, but I had them checked, the fronts were clear, the shop removed the rears since they were behind the O2's

Old 05-30-2015, 10:12 AM
Read this info, may help. Sounds like your problem. intake may have to come off again or wires going to that motor?
http://www.fordf150.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=87805

Old 06-01-2015, 03:41 PM
Yeah, I had read that one already. I am going to pull the upper intake off and see what I can find with my inspection camera.

I didn't want to pull the lower intake off because you have to drain some coolant to do it.

Old 06-03-2015, 11:59 PM
There was something else I thought of as well. The mechanic that installed my new engine put champion plugs in it because he didn't like the Ford ones. Could that be the issue? I would swap them to motorcraft but the dealers up here want $25 a plug, it's a high price to pay on a guess.

Old 06-04-2015, 12:19 AM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
Motorcraft SP515's are $10.82 CAD plus shipping from rockauto.com.

Old 06-04-2015, 11:30 AM
FYI,Ford people have had a lot of problems using anything other than Motorcraft plugs. I just replaced mine w/ Motorcraft, The old owner put in Autolites 60k ago. If its a toyota or a ford, just put in what it came with and you shouldn't have any plug problems.

Old 06-04-2015, 11:34 AM
PS make sure you check all the plug gaps before installing them. The boxes get thrown around which can change the gaps!!! I have found over the last 35 years that they almost always need to have one or two adjusted.

Old 06-04-2015, 01:31 PM
Thanks GLC, for that price, I will order them and change them out with my coils. I don't think I would have any issues removing the plugs since they haven't been in for that long.

This might be a stupid question Rev, but how to you adjust the gap on the Motorcraft plugs? Since the strap is one solid piece I am not 100% sure the best way to adjust it.

Old 06-04-2015, 10:36 PM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
The SP515's are not meant to be adjusted. You need a specific pliers to do it.

Old 06-05-2015, 09:19 AM
sorry 3 valve engine plugs, I was talking about ALL OTHER PLUGS!

Old 06-05-2015, 09:45 AM
OK I will get these parts here and start some work on the truck. I am going to pull intake apart, and look at the IMRC and see if it is connected and if the butterflies move. If they move and the wiring is good, then I guess I will have to replace that motor again.

Old 06-05-2015, 12:10 PM
04 Performance Issues

Originally Posted by Bonder
OK I will get these parts here and start some work on the truck. I am going to pull intake apart, and look at the IMRC and see if it is connected and if the butterflies move. If they move and the wiring is good, then I guess I will have to replace that motor again.
To gap the 3v plugs you should consider buying this..
JEGS Performance Products 80594 Ford 3V Spark Plug Gap Tool https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007VR8VYC..._kHCCvb0QEJZ5F

Sp515 should be pre gapped and ready to go..
Champion plugs suck, but it's likely not your problem..

The imrc or cmcv plates sound like they are binding up, or possibly not moving at all.. If the stepper motor seized up than there's a good chance something else may have caused it too.

They should be full open around 3k rpms.. It might be worth while to just pull the intake manifold and make sure the armatures are installed correctly, and the butterfly's are moving without hinderance..

Old 06-12-2015, 03:08 PM
Thanks for all the info. Thought I would send a little update.

Since Monday, I have not had the hesitation on acceleration, I am not sure what changed exactly, but I am thinking those imrc arms are binding on something.

My new coils arrived early, so if the weather holds out this weekend, I am going to try to replace them. If that solves the stumbling idle then I am all good, otherwise I will also do the plugs.

I did notice that my coils came pre lubed with dielectric grease, witch is good, but there seems to be a ton on it in the boot. It is filling the entire open end of the boot. Should I be removing some before I install them, I always thought just a light coating on the boot itself was all that was required. This would get all over the metal top of the plug during insertion the way it is in there now.

Thanks

Quick Reply: 04 Performance Issues