2004 - 2008 F-150

2005 F150 Clicking/Popping While Turning

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2014, 02:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm new to the forum and have a question to ask that I cannot seem to figure out anywhere else or from inspections.

For the past couple of months, my 2005 F150 STX 4x4 has been clicking/popping while turning slowly at sharp angles mainly into and out of parking spots or sharp 90 degree turns while driving slowly. I have read the online forums relating to this saying it could be wheel bearings, CV joint, 4x4 hub and other things, but do not believe it to be any of those. It sounds like it is coming from the front driver's side tire and is relatively loud.

I first took my truck to Firestone to have them do a check after I initially took the tire off and checked the CV boot and made sure everything was tight myself (I thought it was for sure the CV joint). Of course when I took it there I couldn't get it to make the popping/clicking sound while driving it for them. Firestone could not find anything wrong. A few weeks went by and the clicking/popping got a little worse so I recently took it to a Ford dealership near where I live. I explained the same issues with them and they could not get it to replicate the noise nor could they find anything wrong with front end at all or 4x4.

My question is, does anyone know if this could be anything else besides what I described above? It isn't the CV joint, wheel bearing or 4x4 hub based on 2 different inspections, so I'm out of options to determine what it is. Thanks!

Old 07-23-2014, 02:19 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Lower strut bolt not properly tightened can cause this. Or other suspension bushings.

Old 07-23-2014, 08:16 PM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
jaredt2012 - I'm new to the forum and have a question to ask that I cannot seem to figure out anywhere else or from inspections.

For the past couple of months, my 2005 F150 STX 4x4
This is the 2009 - 2014 F-150 forum.

Try a few doors down ...
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 - General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Old 07-24-2014, 09:27 AM

I'm new to the forum and have a question to ask that I cannot seem to figure out anywhere else or from inspections.

For the past couple of months, my 2005 F150 STX 4x4 has been clicking/popping while turning slowly at sharp angles mainly into and out of parking spots or sharp 90 degree turns while driving slowly. I have read the online forums relating to this saying it could be wheel bearings, CV joint, 4x4 hub and other things, but do not believe it to be any of those. It sounds like it is coming from the front driver's side tire and is relatively loud.

I first took my truck to Firestone to have them do a check after I initially took the tire off and checked the CV boot and made sure everything was tight myself (I thought it was for sure the CV joint). Of course when I took it there I couldn't get it to make the popping/clicking sound while driving it for them. Firestone could not find anything wrong. A few weeks went by and the clicking/popping got a little worse so I recently took it to a Ford dealership near where I live. I explained the same issues with them and they could not get it to replicate the noise nor could they find anything wrong with front end at all or 4x4.

My question is, does anyone know if this could be anything else besides what I described above? It isn't the CV joint, wheel bearing or 4x4 hub based on 2 different inspections, so I'm out of options to determine what it is. It sounds like it is coming from the brake/caliper area on the front driver's side wheel. Thanks!

Old 07-24-2014, 09:29 AM
Originally Posted by gDMJoe
This is the 2009 - 2014 F-150 forum.

Try a few doors down ...
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 - General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.
I actually thought I posted in the 2004-2008 forum, sorry about that.

On another note. I took my truck to another Ford dealership and they could not diagnose the problem either, but before I left the service manager came out to take a look at the noise and it seemed as though it is coming directly from the brake pads/calipers and he suggested it may have something to do with that.

Old 07-24-2014, 10:52 AM
I have a problem when in 4x4 and I make sharp turns. Get a popping/clanking noise. My mechanic thinks it is due to my worn out bushings in my upper control arm. I have the original ball joints with 116k on the truck. You might want to start looking there.

Quick Reply: 2005 F150 Clicking/Popping While Turning