2004 - 2008 F-150

6" lift and my driveshaft-I gotta question....

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2012, 10:08 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
6" lift and my driveshaft-I gotta question....

Ive had a fabtech 6" lift on my truck for a few years now.

I have 95k miles on my truck and Im looking to get my driveshaft serviced. (We use my truck to tow my boyfriend's rockcrawler around. ) I was wondering if I should have them lengthen it too?

I got the fabtech spacer in the kit that goes down by the differential but we think that the driveshaft still maybe a bit over extended. Up by the transfer case there is quite a bit difference where the slip yoke was before the lift and where it is now.

Just wondering if anyone with 6" lifts have considered the driveshaft.

thanks

Old 02-20-2012, 10:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There are several people that have upped there 6 to 8 inches and still havent did anything to there driveshafts. I think you will be fine. The kit was designed with the spacer to make up for the extra height. If you are still wondering the best thing to do would be to go to a shop that does that sort of thing and have them give you there opinion. Im not a genius with this sort of thing, but i did install my 6 inch lift and my driveline looks fine..different kits and years, but anyway. hope you get it figured out, thats all the worthless knowledge i know.

Old 02-20-2012, 10:34 PM
knowledge is never worthless. thank you!

Old 02-20-2012, 10:43 PM
I have a 6" Fabtech on my 2006 4x4. I've noticed the same thing as you. There's a gap at the front of the driveshaft. I just figured I'll leave it unless it causes a problem. My rear pinion seal went bad, and after I put a new one in I took my truck to an offroad shop and let them look at the front of the driveshaft. They said not to worry about it. I guess the first sign of being stretched too far would be a leak or maybe a u-joint going bad. I'm just going to keep an eye on it

Old 02-20-2012, 10:54 PM
yea, mine does not seem to be causing a problem but as long as I have the driveshaft off to get it serviced, I figured I might as well get it lengthened if need be.

I have a few shops around that specialize in drivelines and they only charge 4$ per ujoint to install. plus the price to the ujoint of course, and a balance. to get it lengthened would be reasonable since it was already off the truck .

but from yall's few responses already, I may be saving some $.

Old 02-20-2012, 11:02 PM
How much is it to get it lengthened? If it's not much you might as well go for it. I've always figured it's better to not have spacers on stuff if it can be avoided

Old 02-20-2012, 11:11 PM
well I think once it needs to get lengthened its pretty much a new custom driveshaft. so it would be called a brand new rear driveshaft. I think around $250 for everything.

Old 02-21-2012, 02:04 AM
I've been through 4 drive shafts, stocker, custom aluminum, lengthened stocker and now a thick steel custom double cardan cv drive-shaft.

I was never a lucky one like all these guys are on the board are. I had vibrations at 6 inches and lived with it. At 8 inches the vibrations were horrible (aluminum). At 10.5 inches, the vibrations were complete hell(aluminum & lengthened stocker)!

With my current double cardan cv drive-shaft, I forgot I even had any problems to begin with...

Old 02-21-2012, 12:59 PM
Technical Article Contributor

The Fabtech lift comes with a driveshaft spacer so you shouldn't have issues with the rear driveshaft. I've never had an issue in 4 years.

The front driveshaft you need to have reclocked (align the slipyokes). Easy to do, grind down the master key and align them. Some people don't do it but I have seen first hand a 2004 F150 with the 6" lift in 4x4 completely shred the front driveshaft. I would highly recommend reclocking and rebalancing the front if you ever use 4x4. Nothing worse than losing 4x4 when you need it.

Old 02-21-2012, 05:49 PM
Originally Posted by *FX4TEXASGIRL*
well I think once it needs to get lengthened its pretty much a new custom driveshaft. so it would be called a brand new rear driveshaft. I think around $250 for everything.
That's kind of pricey. If you don't plan on going up to 8" in the future, I would probably leave it and keep the spacer

Old 01-25-2015, 11:50 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
As for me (a guy living in Dubai) what do you guys recommend? I'm running 8" and 40" and I've started towing random cars from time to time, my shaft feels unhappy and heavy... :-(
:-/

I guess I've brought it back from dead lol

Quick Reply: 6" lift and my driveshaft-I gotta question....