2004 - 2008 F-150

Engine troubles again.....

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2013, 08:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine troubles again.....

I have a 2006 F150 5.4 3v that had a new (remanufactured) engine installed last August by a Ford dealership. Lately I have been having a burning oil smell when I have the A/C running so I made an appointment to have it looked at. Turns out this "new" engine has a leaking crank seal and possibly leaking rear main. The engine is less than a year old and I should not be having any problems with it, period. The dealership told me they don't have loners and if I needed a car to drive in the meantime it would come out of my own pocket. So I called customer care and they told me the same thing that the warranty on the engine only covers parts. Having to pay for the rental was just the icing on the cake, everything else is under the 3 yr/100,000 mile warranty. Looks like Ford just lost another customer.

Old 05-31-2013, 10:08 PM
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I'm not sure what you want them to do. You have a vehicle with a leaking rear main seal, which isn't likely the dealerships fault. If they truly don't have any loner vehicles available, what would you like them to do? I'm not one for siding with a dealership, but you going away from Ford because you had to rent a car for a few days is a little petty. I'm assuming you didn't buy the truck new from that dealership either, right?

Last edited by SoonerTruck; 05-31-2013 at 10:11 PM.
Old 05-31-2013, 10:53 PM
My main complaint is with the quality of the engine/parts, less than a year old it shouldn't have any leaking seals. Going away from Ford because the quality/reliability isn't there. Going to trade it before the warranty is up. I am not angry at the dealership as they have to deal with junk that Ford designs.

Old 06-01-2013, 04:38 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Though it's rebuilt by an authorized Ford rebuilder, Ford actually has nothing to do with the actually rebuilding, other than paying that company to do it. Don't know who actually supplies the parts but assume they are Ford parts (once again, not built by them, but to their standards, with the Ford name on 'em.) Still shouldn't have happened, but then a lot of stuff happens that shouldn't. God help you if you think Chebby or Dogdge are more reliable!

Old 06-01-2013, 07:23 AM
I don't think Chevy or Dodge are more reliable, wife drives a Blazer that is constantly needing new serpentine belts and the front end has been repaired several times. I never thought I say it but I am contemplating getting a Toyota Tundra.

Old 06-01-2013, 07:32 AM
They all have their own brand of problems...

Old 06-03-2013, 02:18 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Fred06FX4
I don't think Chevy or Dodge are more reliable, wife drives a Blazer that is constantly needing new serpentine belts and the front end has been repaired several times. I never thought I say it but I am contemplating getting a Toyota Tundra.
I think Toyota builds great vehicles, but if you think there are no demons down that road, you're not hitting on all cylinders. Better read up on some of the headaches there also.

Old 06-03-2013, 05:22 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
All brands have their issues. Even Toyota.

Sounds to me like your feelings are hurt more than anything. Not a good enough reason to leave the brand.

Old 06-03-2013, 04:23 PM
Well it all started with the engine being at the dealership for over a month, diagnosing drivability issues. Then they put new cam phasers and VCT solenoid on it, timing on the engine was still off so they had a field service tech from Dearborn come out and look at it, this person was stumped as to what the problem was. The solution? Put a new engine in it at the owners expense because they couldn't fix it. Now a year after I had the engine installed I am told today that when the engine was installed there was no silicone around the oil pan, had probably been leaking since day one, and almost every nut and bolt was either cross threaded or stripped. Will be getting my truck back this evening.

I am aware of the problems with the Tundra, have been lurking on a Tundra forum for the last three months. What drew me to the Tundra was purported reliability and the model that I sat in at the Auto Show here in Detroit had an adjustable back seat (Crewmax). So thinking about a Toyota is the culmination of a few things, not just this one experience with the leak that should not have leaked in the first place. Disappointed because I love my truck (performance/looks) but there is no guarantee the engine won't fail again.

Old 06-03-2013, 05:03 PM
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Lol, you want the Tundra because of an adjustable back seat? How much are you back there?! I see that being an option which rarely gets used. Also, not that you aren't already turned off on Ford, but the '09+ F-150 CrewCabs are enormous and I can't see needing to move the rear seat back any to provide additional leg room unless you haul Shaq and Yao Ming around in the back all the time.

Old 06-03-2013, 06:28 PM
5 year old daughter in her car seat is always putting her feet on the lip of the map pocket, have heard the crewmax helps to avoid that.

Quick Reply: Engine troubles again.....