2004 - 2008 F-150

2006 4x4 Prerunner, long travel

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 05:49 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 4x4 Prerunner, long travel

Just gathering some information on this. I have a 2006 F150, Scab, 4x4, 5.4L that is lifted 6" with the entry level Pro Comp lift kit. Don't get me wrong, the truck works nicely and performs low speed off-roading with ease... but I want to chage it up.

I do a lot of dirtbike riding in the desert and can say with certainty that I enjoy the wide-open space and star-lit skies of the Mojave Desert. The desert in general is peaceful to me and I spend a lot of time there. Often times though I want to take my truck out on the trails and play around, but the suspension is just too stock to get up any speed (well, getting up to reasonable speed while maintaining control anyhow).

This has lead me to some research... how can I make it better? It seems that a longer travel suspension is a step in the right direction, but I am limited by these things called half-shafts. Yep, being a 4x4 has its advantages but in this case it seems a hinder. I know that I will never have a 16" travel front suspension and 4 wheel drive, but what can I acheive? Is 12" of travel out of the question?

I haven't ordered a thing yet (I need to regear the truck first), but I think I will break it down in the following phase steps:

Phase 1: Bodywork
I will need nice open fenders and bedsides to clear the tires under compression. Can anyone point me the way of nice prerunner fenders and bedsides for a Scab, 6.5' bed? I should look for a front bumper while I'm at it... this will allow for plenty of wheel clearance under compression (something the stock bumper and fenders lack).

Phase 2: Suspension
I've been dying to have a custom coilover setup made for my truck for some time now, but this time it will be setup for travel rather than maximum lift. When you have big, open fenders there is less of a need to lift your truck into the clouds to fit larger rollers. I have 35x12.50-r17 tires at the moment, and a 6" lift to clear them. I figure I can keep my tires and wheels for this project, but ditch the lift and start from scratch. Then again I may be able to keep some parts of the lift and work with it. This is the part of the project that I am going to need to the most help on... I am going to replace the rear leaf pack with a Deaver Spring Co. pack, and add some nice 2.5" shocks. The front will receive some coilover, upper arms from Camburg and as many heim jointed end links as I can find end to put them on. I'll probably stick with the factory LCA's since they are pretty stout and made of 'forged aluminum'.

Phase 3: Fortification (addinig testicular fortitude to the parts that need it)
In my 3rd and final phase of the build I will be addressing the areas that need it. I will build a truss for the rear axle, add traction bars, a 4-link or whatever other setup needed to control the rear axle. Power is always nice, and hopefully I will be able to add a lot more of it! I am thinking a Whipple dyno tuned and running 10-12psi ought to be enough to get me where I need to go. Of course the transmission will be completely rebuilt with performance clutches, valve body and torque converter added to trasmit the 500 or so horsepower to the rear (or all) wheels.

Phase 4: Repeating steps 1-3 as needed
Since things break, I have added a Phase 4.

What are thoughts on this project? What information can you provide me? Any resources to look into? This will be my daily driver, so I will need to maintain reliability and civility (no lexan windows or internal roll cages for this rig).
Any and all help, comments and questions will be entertained.

Last edited by Tornadom; 04-07-2008 at 06:17 AM.
Old 04-07-2008, 08:32 AM
I really want to build a baja type truck as well but it'll be a 2wd just for simplicity sake. I'm pretty sure the IFS 4x4 would just fall apart if it was treated like a baja truck in slightest. There was a thread on these forums where a guy was taking this project on. I lost track of it but hopefully someone knows where it is.

EDIT: here's the thread with a pre-04 setup. In that same thread another member posted photos of his 05 4x4.

http://wwww.f150online.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=288869

Last edited by Impact9; 04-07-2008 at 08:43 AM.
Old 04-07-2008, 08:48 AM
Im no expert on this, but I would have to agree with impact. I cant see how 12 inches of travel would be attainable when some guys wont even put a 3 inch level kit up front. Seems that if 3 inches will wear out your ball joints pre-maturely, 12 inches would do it 4 times as fast. Again Im no expert, so take this all with a grain of salt. This may seem kinda stupid but couldnt you remove the front drive train? (If thats the correct term) I mean if you were set on a Pre-Runner, I would think It wouldnt be too hard to remove everything up front.

Last edited by lever; 04-07-2008 at 08:53 AM.
Old 04-07-2008, 09:31 AM
Actually, I found a bolt on kit that increases track width by 4" per side and claims 13.75" of travel. The components in the kit seem to be overly built (never a bad thing) and take care of the concerns that I had. They use Porsche CV joints that allow for much greter angles than the OEM Ford CV's do, and longer CV shafts. Their kit eliminates the ball-joints and adds some seriously burly upper control arms. I have looked into some other kits, but this one seems like it would cover the basics for me (the things that I can't fabricate myself) and allow me to customize it with many options.

http://jdfabrication.com/index.php?o...d=13&Itemid=29

Old 04-07-2008, 11:07 AM
Suspended
The JD Fabrication kit is pretty much your only option and the best option. Short of having a custom kit built which is going to be some coin.

Old 04-07-2008, 11:41 AM
This is exactly why almost ALL Baja 1000 trucks are 2WD. I think it'd be cool to have a 4WD with that much travel though.

Old 04-08-2008, 01:34 AM
4x4 prerunners are making a big movement into the baja scene. JD fabrication is an awsome company to go through for suspension needs. NCD Customs is another good company to go through. ncdcustoms.com As for fiberglass needs, Hannemann fiberglass Is the Best place for the fenders and bedsides. They're good quality and very strong. Shock wise, King's rock, but if ur on a budget sway away's are good. Good luck on the build

Old 04-08-2008, 01:38 AM
I don't know that I'd keep the rear stock. I've seen a few desert trucks in my time, and the major thing the owners all preached was never to under-estimate the rear.

Stock, or even Deaver rear springs are going to be a major weak point. I would think a complete 4 link with coil overs would be awesome. I'm not an expert though.. Just added my little tid bit.

Old 04-08-2008, 05:41 AM
Originally Posted by attworth
Stock, or even Deaver rear springs are going to be a major weak point. I would think a complete 4 link with coil overs would be awesome. I'm not an expert though.. Just added my little tid bit.
I agree with you 100%. I figured I would start with the front setup, and as speed increases address the rear as needed. I don't want to give up use of my bed, or the ability to tow smaller things, nor am I planning to go full on Baja racing... just something that is more capable than it is now, and can take a small jump or two if I accidentaly miss-judge my speed.

I would love to build up a Ranger or Tacoma 4x2 for full-out, trailer it to the desert sort of fun. I think a carburated 351 Windsor and a built C6 automatic in a race-prepped Ranger would be fun, fast and plenty reliable (since the motor would be basically stock).

Sway-Away does make a very nice coil-over. What are your thoughts on Fox Shocks? I know they make some cheaper, not-so-good stuff, but they seem to have a pretty good following in the desert scene, as does Bilstein.

Old 04-10-2008, 07:24 PM
deavers do suprisingly well with custom shackles if your bypass rear shocks are mounted correctly and valved right.... the more weight you ad in the back the smoother it is. Oh yeah, don't four link it if you plan on driving it on the street. Even with sway bars it will body roll like a mother...

Old 04-10-2008, 08:50 PM
Suspended
Deaver springs in the rear and a good shock will be all you need. You're planning on this being a daily driver, 4 linking it would be idiotic. I'd go with Kings all the way around but that's just me. SAWs are good, too.

Old 04-12-2008, 01:53 AM
You can get a 4x4 to work just as good as two wheel drive for Prerunning or actual Baja 1000 but as stated earlier it just cost a lot more coin so most people opt for a 2x4 (Herbst trophy truck is 4x4). I built a 4x4 ranger Prerunner with 20"s of travel with a fully functional 4x4 basically the same set-up Camburg sells just mine was a custom one off.I think your idea sounds awesome I looked into the JD kit myself and would love to have it but just never materialized becuase of other priorities (A BUILT RHINO) But all the talk about the New F150 Raptor makes me want to get serious about looking into buying a JD kit again. Good luck with your build and just so you know Kings, and Sway Aways are dang near identicle when you rebuild them and actually use the same shims for valveing so go with which ever ones are cheaper and a 4/3 link set-up right will handle just fine on the street it just cost a sh_t load more then a quality spring pack with Triple bypasses. Know ask how many of the guys saying way to much body role for the street? have ever road in a linked truck set-up by reputable builder????...

Last edited by Jessem; 04-12-2008 at 02:27 AM.
Old 04-12-2008, 01:56 AM
side shot

Old 04-12-2008, 02:12 AM
This linked truck has way to much body role to be driven on the street

Old 04-12-2008, 02:16 AM
Same with this one looks like it is going to flip right over!

Quick Reply: 2006 4x4 Prerunner, long travel