2004 - 2008 F-150

2007 F-150 and Hardwire Radar Detector

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2007, 10:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 F-150 and Hardwire Radar Detector

I've done a search on this, but I've come up empty.

Here is what I want to do. I have a 2007 F150 SUpercrew 4x4 Lariet.

I want to mount my Bel Radar Detector in the headliner adjacent to the rearview mirror, run the power wire in the headliner, down the A-pillar to the fuse box on the passenger side. The radar detector has an inline 1 amp fuse.

I want the radar detector to only be on when the engine is running or the key is in the accessory position.

When I had my 2002, I tapped into a black wire with red stripe under the steering column and it worked great.

I went and bought one of those "Add a fuse" kits from Autozone for $5.00.

My question is: What fuse # do I tap into in the fuse block? Or should I did like I did in my 2002 and tap into the steering column? Does this black wire with red stripe still exist under there??

I have a sunroof and don't want to tap into the switches up there. Down the A-pillar seems to be cleaner.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Rob

Old 05-24-2007, 12:18 AM
tap into the radio's switched 12v positive

Old 05-24-2007, 12:55 AM
This is the exact setup that I have done with my radar detector. I bought a 12V cigarette lighter from walmart so that i didnt have to cut the wire for the radar detector. I dropped the wires down the passenger A pillar and tucked the cigarette lighter above the headliner above the passenger sunvisor. Next to the fuse box is a green headed sheet metal screw that is a ground and i tapped into a wire running out of the fuse box that is a switched source. You can see in the picture below that the switched power wire appears to be blue.

and i have the detector mounted to the left of the rearview mirror so that it is easily accessible for the mute button and up off the dash and out of sight of would be smash-n-grabbers.

hope this helps.
ox

Old 05-24-2007, 10:40 PM
Originally Posted by rklavoon
I've done a search on this, but I've come up empty.

Here is what I want to do. I have a 2007 F150 SUpercrew 4x4 Lariet.

I want to mount my Bel Radar Detector in the headliner adjacent to the rearview mirror, run the power wire in the headliner, down the A-pillar to the fuse box on the passenger side. The radar detector has an inline 1 amp fuse.

I want the radar detector to only be on when the engine is running or the key is in the accessory position.

When I had my 2002, I tapped into a black wire with red stripe under the steering column and it worked great.

I went and bought one of those "Add a fuse" kits from Autozone for $5.00.

My question is: What fuse # do I tap into in the fuse block? Or should I did like I did in my 2002 and tap into the steering column? Does this black wire with red stripe still exist under there??

I have a sunroof and don't want to tap into the switches up there. Down the A-pillar seems to be cleaner.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Rob
See the link for another option that I posted about a while back. I hardwired my V1 into my 2007 F-150 by tapping into one of the wires (on/off with ignition) going to the rear view mirror. So far, it's working great.

https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=269523

Old 05-28-2007, 09:52 PM
Update- Completed Install

Just an update....

I followed Oxlander's instructions and everything worked out great. Here are a couple of pictures similar to what he had posted.

Keyed Power Source is the blue wire with green stripe....

Ground connection.....

If anyone has any questions, let me know....

Rob

Old 05-29-2007, 04:38 AM
With lidar (laser) becoming more and more popular, do radar detectors do anything but let you know to pull over and get your ticket? I drove with one a few years ago and it seemed to give me a false confidence to go fast. I used it for a couple of months and then gave it back to my buddy.

Old 05-29-2007, 05:16 AM
you all do stuff too hard. You know that lights up there just above your detectors are 12 volts.

I tapped my wires right there. Took like a whole 2 minutes.

Old 07-02-2007, 08:31 PM
Agree with impact9. I tapped the feed wire for my back window for a power source. A dinky little radar detector load would not even approach overloading a motor circuit.

Old 07-03-2007, 12:35 PM
Originally Posted by hllon4whls
With lidar (laser) becoming more and more popular, do radar detectors do anything but let you know to pull over and get your ticket? I drove with one a few years ago and it seemed to give me a false confidence to go fast. I used it for a couple of months and then gave it back to my buddy.
The one that i have is a scrambler for all forms of radar and laser. The company will pay for any ticket you get within the first year. It is made by Rocky Mountain Radar company.

Old 07-03-2007, 02:51 PM
Originally Posted by dmelchi2000
The one that i have is a scrambler for all forms of radar and laser. The company will pay for any ticket you get within the first year. It is made by Rocky Mountain Radar company.
Sorry to inform you that RMR are a scam. They don't work.

Have you read the fine print on their ticket policy?

Old 07-06-2007, 05:35 PM
Yeah radar scramblers are illegal, not to mention that Rocky Mountian Jammers were all tested and none jammed radar! Laser jammers are legal though.

Old 07-06-2007, 07:19 PM
Originally Posted by Impact9
you all do stuff too hard. You know that lights up there just above your detectors are 12 volts.

I tapped my wires right there. Took like a whole 2 minutes.
Yes, I knew they were there but decided not to use them because they are not switched. They are constant hot and it would be just my luck that I leave town on an extended trip and forget to turn off the detector and return to a drained battery. The way I installed it, the detector is set to turn on and off with the turn of the ignition. Nothing to remember (or forget) and always at the ready.

Old 07-06-2007, 08:38 PM
Just wired mine up to the lower fuse panel by pass. door. Took 15 mins!

Old 07-07-2007, 12:58 PM
Originally Posted by Oxlander
Yes, I knew they were there but decided not to use them because they are not switched. They are constant hot and it would be just my luck that I leave town on an extended trip and forget to turn off the detector and return to a drained battery. The way I installed it, the detector is set to turn on and off with the turn of the ignition. Nothing to remember (or forget) and always at the ready.
I may be incorrect about this as far as hooking something up to those dome lights power wires, but I will say that in my 2004 my dome lights will shut off automatically if I accidentaly leave them on after shutting off the truck. Don't know if that would do the same for a radar tied in there or not.

Old 07-07-2007, 01:00 PM
For my Valentine 1 radar detector I tapped into the power rear window wiring in the overhead console. It's switched so when I turn off the ignition and open a door the detector turns off. Start the truck and it's on.

On trucks that don't have the power rear window it may be worth a look inside the console to see if the wiring is there anyway. Just grab the console and pull straight down (it's held on by clips) to check it out.

I then ran the cord (which is like a flat telephone cord with modular plugs at each end) for the remote display from the detector under the front edge of the headliner and down behind the A-pillar trim and under the dash. I mounted the remote display on top of the cover for the steering column just ahead of the guages.

Quick Reply: 2007 F-150 and Hardwire Radar Detector