2004 - 2008 F-150

Mounting FX4 Fender Flares on XLT

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2006, 04:03 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mounting FX4 Fender Flares on XLT

not sure if this is a dumb question.... but what is the best, and easiest way to mount these fenders on my truck? I have an 06 SCrew.... and got some
FX4 flares on EBAY..... they have clips on the inside (fender side). do i need to drill the fenders or can i mount them with out drilling the fenders?

Old 08-25-2006, 04:07 AM
My new Fender Flares

below.... clips on

clips different angle

clips removed

Old 08-25-2006, 04:08 AM
more pics

Old 08-25-2006, 05:06 AM
get it done!!!

Old 08-25-2006, 07:01 AM
i think on the fx4 they are mounted with out drilling but maybe not so lucky on your xlt's

Old 08-25-2006, 07:27 AM
If you search around you'll find a few different answers. You can either drill out the holes to use the original clips or you can use some 3M tape in place of the clips. I've read that drilling the fenders is a long tedious process, make templates, check the alignment, recheck, walk away, check again, then drill away. I've got an XLT and have been wanting to do this for awhile, just never found a reasonably priced set. If I do find a set I was going to go the 3M tape way and see how that works out before drilling. One concern I have about it all is getting dirt/salt between the flare and the fender and creating a corrosion issue.

Definitely post back how it goes for you. Good luck!

Old 08-25-2006, 08:24 AM
I mounted Lariat flairs on my XLT using FX4 flairs as templates.
Since I work in a tool shop, I used one of the mounting clips to
make a “drill jig”. Using the clip, I drilled a small hole thru the
flair at each mounting location. I then put blue painters tape on
the body panel and carefully located the flair before “spot drilling”
thru each small hole in the flair. I then removed the template flair
and proceeded to drill the holes in the sheet metal (very scary at first).
I then painted the raw edges of the sheet metal before mounting
the flair. I don’t know if this was the best way to do this or not, but
since I was going to drill all these holes in perfectly good sheet metal,
I didn’t want to screw it up. I now have a set of FX4 flairs with holes
in them, but I think the end result was worth it.

Old 08-25-2006, 09:23 AM
I would like to have two sets one to drill totally through as a template and one to install.

Old 08-25-2006, 09:34 AM
It is quick and easy. I added the FX4 flares on my 04 XLT Screw. Pull off all the clips and throw them away. Just drill holes on the underside of the wheel well and use stainless scews/washers to fasten the flares on (not on the outside surface where the clips would have been). Use the holes in the flares as a template to drill the holes. When tightening the screws, push the flare against the outside surface of the fender nice and tight. It would be hard to fit a razor blade between the flare and the fender when its done. I have had mine on for over a year and no noise or vibration or loosening at all. Good luck.

Old 08-25-2006, 12:19 PM
ideas...

GChuff & Fuzzola,

do you guys have any pics of the install?

does anyone have pics of fx4 or lariat fenders with the flares taken off?? i would not mind drilling if i can get a visual of the finished product (fender w/ holes).... the rears appear to be fairly easy as they attached to two existing bolts that hold a support bar for the rear fender.

Old 08-25-2006, 12:59 PM
mc2912,
Sorry no pics.

Old 08-25-2006, 09:53 PM
I don't have any pix of the install, but I'll try to get some close-ups of the mounted flares this weekend.

Old 08-25-2006, 10:41 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by fuzzola
It is quick and easy. I added the FX4 flares on my 04 XLT Screw. Pull off all the clips and throw them away. Just drill holes on the underside of the wheel well and use stainless scews/washers to fasten the flares on (not on the outside surface where the clips would have been). Use the holes in the flares as a template to drill the holes. When tightening the screws, push the flare against the outside surface of the fender nice and tight. It would be hard to fit a razor blade between the flare and the fender when its done. I have had mine on for over a year and no noise or vibration or loosening at all. Good luck.
X2 ,I installed my lariat flares the same way.I had previously installed fender flares using this same method on my GNX clone so I knew exactly what I was getting into.I found that if you drill the holes in the right place you can get the flares tight enough against the body that tape isn't necessary.For me the tape was creating gaps.

Last edited by NASSTY; 08-25-2006 at 10:43 PM.
Old 08-25-2006, 10:54 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Hmmmmm. I've been thinking of doing this mod for a while, but was unsure how to atach the flares to my xlt. Now I know. Thanks Fuzzola and NASSTY. Awesome.

Old 08-25-2006, 11:34 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Another bit of advise....I put several small strips of painters masking tape on the fenders where the top edge of the flare meets the fender.The tape kept me from scratching the paint during the trial fitting and drilling process.By the time you're done trial fitting and drilling you will have pushed the flare firmly against the fender several times and you may need to remove and reinstall the flare a few times before you're done.If you're not careful you can scratch the paint.After all of the holes were drilled I removed the tape and did the final install.

Quick Reply: Mounting FX4 Fender Flares on XLT