2004 - 2008 F-150

Auto headlights won't work???

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2006, 09:06 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Auto headlights won't work???

My automatic headlights have quit working for some reason, I can still turn my lights on with the switch but the auto function is not working anymore, this is on a 04' screw, anybody have any advise on what might be the problem, cause as of now,when I start my truck at night, the only things that come on are tailights and front parking lights, thanks!!

Old 02-27-2006, 10:13 AM
warranty?

Old 02-27-2006, 02:36 PM
Mine is doing the same exact thing, I plan on taking it in later this week. Let me know if you find anything out

Old 02-27-2006, 03:44 PM
either the switch or the light sensor.

Old 02-27-2006, 03:53 PM
Warranty is gone, didn't know if somebody else had had this problem so maybe I could get some advice on fixing this problem myself, thanks.

Old 02-27-2006, 06:28 PM
it is probably the light sensor. I doubt its the switch. There is probably a sensor somewhere you can adjust. you could try the dealer and ask them

Old 02-27-2006, 08:47 PM
I am completely pulling this out of my, uh, back pocket....but could you have possibly turned it off? I remember reading that the autolamps are run by the security module, and that they can be adjusted through there; perhaps you inadvertently turned the system off by the wrong combination of pushing buttons and wiggling fingers...

I'd check my owner's manual, but it is currently about 1400 miles away, in the glove box of the truck at the airport...

Old 02-27-2006, 09:12 PM
Originally Posted by OnBelay
I am completely pulling this out of my, uh, back pocket....but could you have possibly turned it off? I remember reading that the autolamps are run by the security module, and that they can be adjusted through there; perhaps you inadvertently turned the system off by the wrong combination of pushing buttons and wiggling fingers...

I'd check my owner's manual, but it is currently about 1400 miles away, in the glove box of the truck at the airport...
Its never that far away....just go here

Ford manuals

From the manual:

Autolamp control (if equipped)
The autolamp system provides light
sensitive automatic on-off control of
the exterior lights normally
controlled by the headlamp control.
The autolamp system also keeps the
lights on for approximately 20
seconds or on vehicles equipped
with a message center, you can
select a delay from 0–180 seconds,
after the ignition switch is turned to
OFF.
• To turn autolamps on, rotate the control counterclockwise.
• To turn autolamps off, rotate the control clockwise to OFF.
If your vehicle is not equipped with a message center, then the auto
lamps can be programmed manually by:
1. Start with the ignition in OFF and the autolamps selected ON.
2. Deselect (switch off) the autolamps.
3. Put the ignition in RUN.
4. Put the ignition in OFF.
5. Select the autolamps (switch on).
Steps 2 through 5 must be performed within a 10 second period. At
this point, the headlamps and park lamps will turn on.
6. Deselect the autolamps after the desired autolamp delay time
(maximum of 3 minutes)
At this point, the headlamps and park lamps will turn off.

Old 03-12-2006, 06:46 PM
I got my headlights fixed.
The problem was that the security box behind the backseat had shorted out. They replaced the security box, and the wiring harness. It was ~ $500. But i have a extended warranty so it was covered. I now have a new door code and had to have my remotes re-programmed.
The range for the remote is now MUCH better. It was only abouty 5 feet, now it works from 50+.

Old 12-14-2006, 11:10 AM
I'd like to bring this post back up because this is happening to me now. My light sensor is okay because it still turns on my gauges, but my headlights don't turn on. Neither of my headlights is out and I'm pretty positive I didn't go through that whole process of manually changing the automatic timer on accident. I also believe that my headlights used to turn on when I unlocked my truck and that no longer happens as well.

-Could someone tell me where the switch is that J-150 menitoned? I'm assuming you mean some kind of electrical switch under the hood and not the switch that I turn next to my steering wheel, because that one works fine (which I'm assuming based on the fact that it powers my gauges automatically when it becomes dark, but my headlights still do not turn on).

-How could I verify if my security box had shorted as cavermatt explained? Do all trucks with a key fob and keypad have one of these?

I know that I at least have one fuse blown (for the center 12V DC outlet), and I will be checking replacing the fuses today. Could it be related to this?

Thanks for your help,
Joe

Last edited by r6jojo; 12-14-2006 at 11:13 AM.
Old 12-29-2006, 01:54 PM
Here's a repeat plea for help with my questions above and an update to the issue. I replaced the fuse for the center cigarette lighter a few days ago and my headlights started automatically coming on again when I had the auto switch set. But now they've stopped working again and my cigarette lighter still works fine and the fuse isn't blown. I did think I may have seen my lights "flutter" once when they were on in the auto mode at night, but they continued working fine up until a night or two ago when I got in to drive and realized that my headlights had not turned on. I don't know where to start looking with this. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Joe

Old 05-21-2007, 09:21 AM
Anyone ever have this resolved?

My Auto lights went out this weekend. In auto mode, nothing comes on, not the dash lights not the parking lights, or anything else.

They went out twice before while driving. I swithed the lights on and back to Auto, then everything worked fine. Until this weekend that is.

Any help?

Old 06-06-2007, 10:56 PM
Rochester,

I never did get this resolved. When I have the dash switch turned to Auto, the gauges will come on at night, and I think the running lights, but not the headlights. And also, as opposed to my headlights coming on when I unlock my truck as it used to, now only the running lights come on. It seems like some kind of sender to the headlights is out on my truck, as the gauges running lights are getting the signal at night or during unlock, but the headights are not. If anyone has any tips, I would sure appreciate them.

Thanks,
Joe

Old 12-30-2014, 08:22 AM
Originally Posted by r6jojo
Rochester,

I never did get this resolved. When I have the dash switch turned to Auto, the gauges will come on at night, and I think the running lights, but not the headlights. And also, as opposed to my headlights coming on when I unlock my truck as it used to, now only the running lights come on. It seems like some kind of sender to the headlights is out on my truck, as the gauges running lights are getting the signal at night or during unlock, but the headights are not. If anyone has any tips, I would sure appreciate them.

Thanks,
Joe
It's too bad this thread is so old, and no one responded to that last one, because that's exactly what's happening to me. A few weeks ago I noticed my headlights dimming and coming back up. Turns out it was the headlamps cutting out, I think, because the fog lights and running lamps stayed on. Now when I pull into my garage, and the senors turns on the auto lights, I notice the head lights do not come on.

Old 12-30-2014, 09:44 PM
I'm still with the same problem eight years later. The only fix I've read so far is the security box mentioned above, but I have no idea where that is or what it looks like, even if I did know a way to check it. Hard to believe we're the only people with this issue out there, but I've never found any more information than this!

Quick Reply: Auto headlights won't work???