2004 - 2008 F-150

How to Install Viper 791XV or pay who to do it?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2005, 02:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to Install Viper 791XV or pay who to do it?

Hey Guys,

I want to have the Viper 791XV remote start/alarm on my truck soon. I had it on my last car and loved it. Unfortunately, Best Buy wants $550 for the unit which includes basic install for free!!! (very sarcasticly said) and then $180 for parts and labor. So that's $730 for the thing ready to go. That price is nuts. However, all the Best Buys up here are like that.

I can buy the thing on ebay for $200. How hard is it to install? Does anyone have an install manual or directions? I'd spend two days installing before I forked over $500 to have it done.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Duke

Old 10-14-2005, 03:05 PM
I have that alarm in my car and my brother-in-law installed it for me. I would rate my mechanical ability at a 8, but I hate wiring anything. I would check some local car stereo shops, I went by one the other day and they quoted me $150 to install my Viper 591 in my F150.

Old 10-14-2005, 03:15 PM
Originally Posted by cwelk150
I have that alarm in my car and my brother-in-law installed it for me. I would rate my mechanical ability at a 8, but I hate wiring anything. I would check some local car stereo shops, I went by one the other day and they quoted me $150 to install my Viper 591 in my F150.
$150 was parts and labor? The nice thing about Best Buy is that it would be warrantied for life. But then again if it's done right, there shouldn't be an issue. And I don't want to drop more than $400 on this setup.

Old 10-14-2005, 03:20 PM
Well that was 150 for labor only. They may try to sell you a passkey deal that fools the trucks computer into thinking that the chipped key is in the ignition so the remote start will work. A cheaper way to do that is to go the dealer and have a new key made and programmed. You can wire tie the key to the column and it will do the same thing, cheaper.

Old 10-14-2005, 03:28 PM
Originally Posted by cwelk150
Well that was 150 for labor only. They may try to sell you a passkey deal that fools the trucks computer into thinking that the chipped key is in the ignition so the remote start will work. A cheaper way to do that is to go the dealer and have a new key made and programmed. You can wire tie the key to the column and it will do the same thing, cheaper.
Yeah I'd pay a little extra for them to use the key with the key bypass because I'd be leary about having an actual key to the truck in the truck not 100% secured. I'm also going to have it installed so the heated seats work on the aux button. It gets unreal cold up here in MN. Sounds like it's time to start calling local audio shops.

Old 10-14-2005, 03:29 PM
www.gemsen.com/ford/
is the place to go for instructions for installing an alarm.

The PDF files they have that you can download are for putting a Code-Alarm system in any Ford.

However, if you read the PDF sections on your truck, it has all the wire locations, the color codes, the wire functions, that you would use with any alarm system.
So if it tells you to hook it to the door sensor, or the starter wire, you can locate the best place to do it in the PDF.

Really a great resource for alarm or keyless work.
These PDFs can be huge, and it may take you a few minutes to navigate at first, but they really can help.
Chris

Old 10-14-2005, 04:09 PM
Originally Posted by ChrisAdams
www.gemsen.com/ford/

The PDF files they have that you can download are for putting a Code-Alarm system in any Ford.

However, if you read the PDF sections on your truck, it has all the wire locations, the color codes, the wire functions, that you would use with any alarm system.
So if it tells you to hook it to the door sensor, or the starter wire, you can locate the best place to do it in the PDF.

These PDFs can be huge, and it may take you a few minutes to navigate at first, but they really can help.
Chris
On a scale of 1- 10 (10 being very hard, and 1 being easy). What would you rate installing a remote start/security system like the Viper 791XV?

Old 10-14-2005, 04:11 PM
www.gemsen.com/ford/

Chris
Damn, that's an awesome link! That might just be the cause of me gettin another one of those remote start/alarm jobs. Thanks a lot Chris!

Old 10-14-2005, 04:59 PM
I payed $350 w/tax installed for my 791XV alarm. Sounds like those guys are trying to rip you off. I had lost my remote for it, so I got a Clifford replacment for $95.

Last edited by Tuff4rd; 10-14-2005 at 05:03 PM.
Old 10-14-2005, 05:10 PM
http://www.hookedontronics.com/show_...eyword=+791xv+

Is this the one you guys are looking at?

Old 10-14-2005, 05:16 PM
If that is the one it sure does not look super complicated. Anyone have the link to a site with specific directions for that puppy?

On putting any alarm into this truck, one nice thing is the interior is so modular, easy to pull items from, and to work in.

Chris

http://shopping.msn.com/prices/shp/?itemId=33388050
Prices don't seem high on it, what's it's strong point?

Last edited by ChrisAdams; 10-14-2005 at 05:19 PM. Reason: add another link
Old 10-14-2005, 05:59 PM

Holy cow yes!!!!! Sweet, just found where I'm going to buy it from.

Old 10-14-2005, 06:14 PM
I have a code alarm CA 670 and am currently trying to decide to install it myself or take it to a shop.

Old 10-14-2005, 06:31 PM
Originally Posted by countyboy04
I have a code alarm CA 670 and am currently trying to decide to install it myself or take it to a shop.

http://www.carmedia1.com/en-us/dept_39.html
Which one is it? I notice three at least with the same darn number?

If you download the instructions in PDF file
https://www.f150online.com/forums/li...msen.com/ford/

Then all that is left is how comfortable you are with putting in the connections. One of those squeeze wire stripper/seperators (3-10 bucks) makes the stripping of the wires pretty easy.
I used the PDF's to install a Code-Alarm keyless/alarm, and it was a mornings work.

The only part that kinda bugged me was fastening the module with wire ties (ties are the way they recommend), rather than bolting it in, but that turned out to be a very good way to do it.
The instuctions were simple.

Cool items. You can pull the kickpanel from below the wheel, in about two minutes, and the plate behind it. Then you can pull the panel behind the e-brake, and pull up the runner that covers the wiring channel.
Then the best part, you can pull the side panel between the door and the dashboard. Lets you reach in from all sides.

If you really want lots of room to play in, you can pull the cowl over the speedo in minutes, and ever yank the IP out. This is not a lot of work.
The glove box is held on with two screws.
This interior comes apart in minutes.
Finding a safe place to lay the plastic takes almost as long as pulling it off.
All the wires you would normally use are exposed when you pull the kickpanel off and the panel by the e-brake.

Modular truck interiors Rock.
Chris

Old 10-14-2005, 09:33 PM

very very good store, buy from them/\ , they are cheapest and great customer service.

Quick Reply: How to Install Viper 791XV or pay who to do it?