1997 - 2003 F-150

Need help 2001 F150 5.4L Triton

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2016, 11:21 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Need help 2001 F150 5.4L Triton

Hi there everyone. I am having a issue with my grandparents truck. I am down visiting them and we went out to a local tourist attraction.

When we got close all of a suddenly the no oil pressure light came on. We stopped check it. It had oil had coolant etc.. No engine light at this point. So we restarted it and it showed pressure for awhile then after we went a little more it did it again but it was not ticking like a hydraulic lifter tick. The ticking I hear from the motor I believe to be a blown plug due to the fact that all but one is tight and it is the same sound the V10 Trition in the tow truck I drive made when it blew a plug. But back to what I was saying.

Then while we were going up a hill all of a sudden the truck died almost at the top at the turn around point. It cranked really hard and slow like a battery but the battery is fully charged. After awhile we could crank it normally but it did not want to start. If i put the gas pedal to the floor and or pumped it it may start for a few seconds or if i keep it reved up between 1500 and 2000 rpms it will run but as soon as you let off the gas or try to put it in gear it quits. My grandparents just got it back from the repair shop after they removed the whole dash and put in a new heater core. I have checked the IAC its clean and working, Has Fuel 3/4 of a tank, All the vacuum lines are connected and do not seem to be broken, I tried unplugging the vacuum from the EGR which if that was bad would cause running issues but it did not make a difference.

Theres a engine code now which I will be pulling later today. The code light turned on when it died almost to the top.

Any sugggestions on what to check?

A Little more about me, I use to work at a parts store for a little over 2 years, My parents use to run a repair shop and I helped out whenever I could from the time I was about 8 years old. I am from MN.

Old 02-08-2016, 11:22 AM
The truck is a 2001 Ford F150 2 wheel drive extended cab with the doors to open the back ( half doors ) it has a auto trans with a 5.4 L Triton V8

Old 02-08-2016, 12:25 PM
so the code is P1504 Which is IAC code. mine seemed good but i will try to change the IAC out and see if that makes a difference. it has the right amount of oil in the motor so we do not know why the oil pressure went wompy

Old 02-08-2016, 02:24 PM
If you are changing your IAC I suggest you order from ford, I opted for an aftermarket and it wasn't any good. Had me really scratching my head for awhile. Goodluck

Old 02-08-2016, 04:48 PM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
Rockauto.com, Amazon, and O'Reilly's all carry Motorcraft IAC valves. No need to pay list at Ford.

Old 02-09-2016, 01:04 PM
Thanks guys for replying. I tried t clean the IAC and am checking a few other things first. I decided to check relays and I think one of them may not be working so I am going to test those first. I normally go to O'Reilly's for parts due to my parents having a corprate account from when they use to run a shop before we moved from where the shop was.

Old 02-09-2016, 01:25 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
The IAC definitely will not affect the hard slow cranking. Check the oil pan for damage. A small dent in the pan can cause no oil pressure.

That truck has the EXACT symptoms my 5.4 had just before it siezed.

The root cause was that a timing chain guide broke causing a very slight tick which happened to be the chain eating front cover which filled the oil with metal. It happened on a long trip and while going up a hill, I lost oil pressure and the truck died with no more than a little poof out of the tailpipe. Engine was seized 200 miles from home on Christmas eve.

Old 02-09-2016, 08:30 PM
Originally Posted by ishootstuff
The IAC definitely will not affect the hard slow cranking. Check the oil pan for damage. A small dent in the pan can cause no oil pressure.

The root cause was that a timing chain guide broke causing a very slight tick which happened to be the chain eating front cover which filled the oil with metal. It happened on a long trip and while going up a hill, I lost oil pressure and the truck died with no more than a little poof out of the tailpipe. Engine was seized 200 miles from home on Christmas eve.
Thank you for the comment ishootstuff, My grandfather has decided to have the shop that put the heater core in come pick up the truck and look at it to try and see whats wrong due to the fact that I am only down here for a short while and do not have all the tools I would need to be able to dig in to find out for myself. The shop agreed to look over the truck to see if anything they did caused any of the problems for free of charge and to also see if there is anything else that would not of been there doing that has happened without charging till my grandpa decided what to do after there looking into it. I appreciate everyone's help. I will let you know what the shop says when they get back to my grandpa. There not picking the truck up till next week at the earliest.

Old 02-09-2016, 08:32 PM
So what i was getting at in the post is they are looking into the issue for free of charge and will only charge him if he decides to have them work on it.

Old 02-09-2016, 09:38 PM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
Originally Posted by ishootstuff

What terrible luck! Sorry that happened to you! Was this the truck that you installed the V10?

Old 02-10-2016, 02:40 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Roadie
What terrible luck! Sorry that happened to you! Was this the truck that you installed the V10?
Indeed it is. Lesson learned... Don't ignore even the smallest of noises.

Old 08-30-2017, 10:30 PM
Timing

So how would you set the timing? I had an issue with this as well my chains ate thro the oil pump and the cover but I got it bored out and got a built motor with valves checked with the test of the good things

Old 08-30-2017, 10:39 PM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts

Quick Reply: Need help 2001 F150 5.4L Triton