1997 - 2003 F-150

Heated Throttle Body Inlet Hose Leaking

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2015, 01:06 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Heated Throttle Body Inlet Hose Leaking

I'm new here, never really needed help because these engines are pretty straight forward, but this problem has me stumped. I would appreciate some help if anyone has any advice!

I have a 2001 F-150 5.4 2v with over 200k on it. I recently noticed that I smelled coolant coming when the engine is turned off. I noticed the next day my engine got to 200 degrees F. The coolant reservoir was getting dangerously low.

I opened the hood and saw cylinder #1 injector was drenched in coolant. I searched online and found this:

This is what mine looks like:
Heated Throttle Body Inlet Hose Leaking-kv8uzfv.jpgHeated Throttle Body Inlet Hose Leaking-x1g6idu.jpg

Has anyone replaced this or know another name for it?

Is there a way to bypass it? It's over 90 degrees F here steadily and I don't think I have to worry about my throttle body freezing.

Thank you guys!

Last edited by V8F1504x4; 06-16-2015 at 01:10 AM.
Old 06-16-2015, 05:33 AM
Found out doing some research its the "Coolant Crossover" and it looks like I'll be needing to replace the intake manifold.

Old 06-16-2015, 08:29 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sounds like you identified the problem and solution.

I used the Dorman replacement manifold. It is about half the price of an OEM manifold and has built in gaskets and thicker plastic around the coolant crossover to prevent a repeat problem. The down side is cheaper mounting holes on the manifold itself, they are self tapping instead of brass inserts.

I did injector o-rings and spark plugs while I was in there. You'll have plenty of room for that.

Dont forget a length of 3/8" ID hose (2ft) and a bucket, for draining the radiator. A compressor and air nozzle was also very helpful.

Good luck!

Last edited by personmans; 06-16-2015 at 06:14 PM. Reason: typo
Old 06-16-2015, 03:43 PM
Originally Posted by personmans
Sounds like you identified the problem and solution.

I used the Dorman replacement manifold. It is about half the price of an OEM manifold and has built in gaskets and thicker plastic ground the coolant crossover to prevent a repeat problem. The down side is cheaper mounting holes on the manifold itself, they are self tapping instead of brass inserts.

I did injector o-rings and spark plugs while I was in there. You'll have plenty of room for that.

Dont forget a length of 3/8" ID hose (2ft) and a bucket, for draining the radiator. A compressor and air nozzle was also very helpful.

Good luck!
Thanks for the heads up. I just ordered the doorman replacement from summit racing.

I plan on replacing the intake manifold, water pump, upper radiator hose, spark plugs, injectors, and throttle body clean and re-gasketed.

I'm really only keeping the ignition coils ha-ha. It's gonna be hard to find time to work on it with 12 hour shifts!

Old 06-16-2015, 06:53 PM
Sounds like a good plan. Any reason for replacing injectors?

Depending on your memory, I would try to keep the whole replacement under 3 days. I did it in a day (10 hours with a 4 hour break) and still found it tough to remember how everything went back and/or what tricks I used to get parts out.

If you have a repair manual and a garage, or just organize your parts better than I did, you may not have this issue.

Old 06-17-2015, 06:39 PM
Sounds like a good plan. Any reason for replacing injectors?

Depending on your memory, I would try to keep the whole replacement under 3 days. I did it in a day (10 hours with a 4 hour break) and still found it tough to remember how everything went back and/or what tricks I used to get parts out.

If you have a repair manual and a garage, or just organize your parts better than I did, you may not have this issue.
Just replacing injectors because they have some age on them, I mean I'm doing all the necessities to make the truck run.
Air -New Intake
Spark - New Spark Plugs
Fuel - New Fuel Injectors

The only thing I'm worried about is that damn EGR pipe.

Gonna make this truck feel brand new when I'm done.

The following users liked this post:
Old 06-17-2015, 07:40 PM
Why are you worried about the EGR pipe?

Old 06-17-2015, 08:07 PM
Originally Posted by AndersonS
Why are you worried about the EGR pipe?
That's a big *** fitting that I have to get off, which has never been taken off for 200k. I'm sure it's nicely on there.

Anyways, heres an update. I asked my boss yesterday if I could get 2 days off back to back, he said I could on the 27th and 28th. I can't keep paying for a rental car until then so I drove over an hour on the highway (@ 211 degrees and 225 when I was going under 20. It was scary but I made it.

My buddy welded the plastic around the coolant crossover and we pressure tested it and it was within range. Drove it on the same highway on the way back and never got over 193.

This is temporary, until I get my 2 days off. I'm only 19 so I plan on getting my buddy to help me replace the intake and other pieces. I have about a $1k budget so I'll be replacing anything I see is necessary to replace.

Here she was after idling for about 10-15 mins after I got home from work and was about to go get groceries. Heated Throttle Body Inlet Hose Leaking-nehlmbz.jpg

Old 06-17-2015, 08:32 PM
Originally Posted by V8F1504x4
That's a big *** fitting that I have to get off, which has never been taken off for 200k. I'm sure it's nicely on there.

Anyways, heres an update. I asked my boss yesterday if I could get 2 days off back to back, he said I could on the 27th and 28th. I can't keep paying for a rental car until then so I drove over an hour on the highway (@ 211 degrees and 225 when I was going under 20. It was scary but I made it.

My buddy welded the plastic around the coolant crossover and we pressure tested it and it was within range. Drove it on the same highway on the way back and never got over 193.

This is temporary, until I get my 2 days off. I'm only 19 so I plan on getting my buddy to help me replace the intake and other pieces. I have about a $1k budget so I'll be replacing anything I see is necessary to replace.

Here she was after idling for about 10-15 mins after I got home from work and was about to go get groceries.
You can leave the "big *** fitting" attached and just disconnect the EGR where it meets the throttle body.

Replacing the intake manifold is actually a fun job. Lots of little pieces, but everything is a manageable size.

Also, I don't think replacing injectors is worthwhile unless one has actually failed. I just "rebuilt" them and replaced the o-rings.

Old 06-17-2015, 08:35 PM
I did O-Rings on my injectors, but I would skip injectors themselves. Pretty big cost for possibly no gain if they're already working correctly.

I would skip the intake as well unless you're planning to go the custom tune route.

Spark plugs are a good idea if you need them.

EGR should come off easily, it's two bolts and has a gasket, mine popped off with minimal effort at 130k miles.

Old 06-17-2015, 08:36 PM
Also, while you have the top half of the engine off, make sure you do something about the coolant hardline that runs through the valley of the block.

https://www.f150online.com/forums/v8...lant-leak.html

Old 06-17-2015, 10:49 PM
I did O-Rings on my injectors, but I would skip injectors themselves. Pretty big cost for possibly no gain if they're already working correctly.

I would skip the intake as well unless you're planning to go the custom tune route.

Spark plugs are a good idea if you need them.

EGR should come off easily, it's two bolts and has a gasket, mine popped off with minimal effort at 130k miles.
Definitely gonna replace it, since I want to have peace of mind about it being fixed. After 200k, this will be the biggest repair on her yet, and it wouldn't have to be if the Coolant Crossover was replaceable.

All said and done I'll hopefully have better MPG's and my spark plugs changed.

I think I'm going to listen to you guys and not buy new injectors, but new o-rings for them.

The truck does have 200k on her, so I may need that money for something in the future.

Il update the thread when I can after getting the intake replaced.

Old 02-14-2023, 07:32 PM
Leak on a 2 inch valve above the Crossover Tube above the alternator

I thought It was the same leak as yours but it's not. It's some kind of valve

Thats it right there. The alternator is removed. It's wet. Not sure if it died cuz it was it's time, or it died because it's been getting wet from the small j on the valley being damaged. I can't find what it's called. So far I've learned it warms up the throttle body to burn fuel better. And it's attached to the Crossover Tube.

It has a hole on the j style tube. Right on tje corner

This the hose attached to the (valve) with the thin j style hose attachment

This is a pic i found online. The closest to being similar to mine. Cant find a thing anything else

Runs to the back of throttle body

Its steel so i ended up welding it. Its steel. Worth a try no?Other option was find it at a junkyard. Couldnt find the single part online. Read that id have to get the whole entire manifold in order to get it new. Autozone didnt know what the part was either.

Last edited by Sergiodoesit; 02-15-2023 at 01:20 AM.

Quick Reply: Heated Throttle Body Inlet Hose Leaking