1997 - 2003 F-150

Wet Floor

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2014, 02:16 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Wet Floor

I have a 2002 and have recently noticed that the rear passenger floor board is often damp. I've since removed the mat to help dry it out a little more. I'm tired of having to air out the mildew smell for a couple hours so it's not so overwhelming. Anyone have any ideas where it may be coming from and/or how I can go about fixing it?

Old 04-15-2014, 03:44 AM
From what I recall reading here the usual culprit is a leaky third brake light and the fix is remove it, clean and reseal. A search of the forums will probably turn up several threads on it.

Old 04-15-2014, 08:10 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
It's probably not the third brake light on a 97-03 body style. Mine leaks when it rains good so I checked the brake light. There is no way it was leaking there. The issue with our body style seems to be the seal around the rear window.

Check out the How to articles and there is a write up to fix this.
I still need to do mine........but it's spring time in Calif. so it probably won't rain for another 6 months.

Good luck

Old 04-15-2014, 09:35 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
First off welcome to the forum =) Hope we can be of some assistance to you

Do you have a sunroof?

If so maybe the drains are clogged up there

Or sometimes something as simple as a door weatherstripping is bad

Do you park on a hill that would encourage the water to go down towards the passenger side? Or are you on level ground .... that could hint at which side of the vehicle it is happening on

Old 04-15-2014, 10:41 AM
Originally Posted by Pockets
First off welcome to the forum =) Hope we can be of some assistance to you

Do you have a sunroof?

If so maybe the drains are clogged up there

Or sometimes something as simple as a door weatherstripping is bad

Do you park on a hill that would encourage the water to go down towards the passenger side? Or are you on level ground .... that could hint at which side of the vehicle it is happening on
No sunroof and the only angle my truck really sits at is the low incline of my driveway. It could be the weatherstripping around the door, I'll give that a look.

Old 04-15-2014, 10:44 AM
Originally Posted by jgger
It's probably not the third brake light on a 97-03 body style. Mine leaks when it rains good so I checked the brake light. There is no way it was leaking there. The issue with our body style seems to be the seal around the rear window.

Check out the How to articles and there is a write up to fix this.
I still need to do mine........but it's spring time in Calif. so it probably won't rain for another 6 months.

Good luck
I was thinking either the rear window or maybe the brake light, because the cloth on the roof on the rear passenger is occasionally damp and so it the carpet over there, but what confuses me is the seats and the carpet under the seat doesnt ever feel wet from what I've noticed.

Old 04-15-2014, 02:50 PM
Just poured a cup of water on my third brake light and my rear window and it dripped inside along the top of whole seal. Any clue on DIY or repair costs?

Old 04-15-2014, 08:40 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by YourFalseRealit
Just poured a cup of water on my third brake light and my rear window and it dripped inside along the top of whole seal. Any clue on DIY or repair costs?
There is a how to in the articles for re-sealing the rear window. DIY I don't think it would cost more than $30, but that is a guess. I have heard somewhere in the $125 neighborhood to have a glass shop do it.

Both those numbers are guesses, you can make some calls to get a better quote.

Old 04-16-2014, 04:35 PM
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by jgger
There is a how to in the articles for re-sealing the rear window. DIY I don't think it would cost more than $30, but that is a guess. I have heard somewhere in the $125 neighborhood to have a glass shop do it.

Both those numbers are guesses, you can make some calls to get a better quote.
Thanks to everyone for all your help!

Old 04-19-2014, 08:05 PM
Originally Posted by YourFalseRealit
I have a 2002 and have recently noticed that the rear passenger floor board is often damp. I've since removed the mat to help dry it out a little more. I'm tired of having to air out the mildew smell for a couple hours so it's not so overwhelming. Anyone have any ideas where it may be coming from and/or how I can go about fixing it?
My brake light was fine. It turned out to be the seal on the back glass. I also had mold behind my rear seat after it sat unused and in the rain for 2 weeks so check that after you fix it.

Quick Reply: Wet Floor