1997 - 2003 F-150

1997 Ford F-150 Torque Converter Removal Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2012, 09:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1997 Ford F-150 Torque Converter Removal Question

Hello All: I just got a 1997 4.2L V6 rebuilt motor with 40,000 miles on the new motor. It came with everything including torque converter. I have been trying to remove the torque converter but it appears the 15mm nuts are strip a little and the converter is overtightened. Without removing the converter I cannot put it on the engine stand.

I basically bought the motor to clean it up, and get it ready to swap.

Please help.

thanks in advance
msk

Old 10-22-2012, 12:44 PM
Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts
The converter has it's mounting studs go through the flex plate and mounted with nuts.
If the converter studs are stripped the converter is no good.
Best you can do is try a 'nut cutter' from the hardware or auto store to split the nuts.
Last resort is to cut them off with a torch without damage to the flex plate or replace the flex plate if the mounting area gets damaged cutting the mountings off.
Good luck.

Old 10-22-2012, 12:54 PM
I don't remember the TQ mounting nuts being 15mm? Thought they were 14... Been a while since Ive removed one. The nut is what is stripped right? Try another wrench in standard, like a 9/16-5/8-11/16 or whatever is just a size smaller than the equivalent metric size. Heat it up, use the closed end and tap it on there. Careful not to bend the flex plate. Or there will be a wobble from hell later on.

Kind of odd that it came with the TQ converter attached... sounds like someone else already tried to remove it and couldnt.

Yea, I just checked a spare TQ converter I have laying around for a 5.4L (if they are the same lug) and they are 14mm. But... there is one nut on mine that is a bit rounded and the 14 does not fit because the corners are flared out... which would make someone think it was a 15mm. So, if yours are 14 and youve been using a 15, go back to the 14 and make it fit. Maybe a dremel tool with a grinding bit to remove the burs/flares at the stripped ends of the nut.. whatever it takes to get the 14 back on there. And use a quality wrench. Cheap wrenches strip more bolts than anything else.

Last edited by Toyz; 10-22-2012 at 01:06 PM.
Old 10-22-2012, 03:28 PM
RE Torque Converter Nuts

Thank You Guys for the input.

I purchased the engine at a good price. He had this truck rebuilt after the bent connecting rods (1997 leaking intake issue) and then the transmission failed after 40K on the engine. He didn't wanted to put anymore money and sold the truck and broken transmission to scrap yard but kept the engine. He still has the transfer case. My truck is 2WD.

I think he tried to remove it but could not, but this is just my guess. I will go to Sears to get the special kit to remove the bolts.

Toyz: You are correct about cheap tools. Most of my tools are Craftsman. I porbably should have used the air rachet but my compressor being small, it runs out of air quickly. Now I have one more excuse to buy more tools!! I tried the 14 but it would not fit.

I removed the exhaust manifolds from both sides last night. The left side came out, no problem, but the right side, I managed to break two bolts. but they are sticking out about 3mm from the block. I have soaked all bolts that I can see on the engie with PB Blaster. I also removed the alternator, AC compressor and power steering pump. I removed the plugs to see if they are fouled or not and they looked very good just as you expect from a 40K miles truck, no oil or carbon build on them. Plugs seem not so new.

My plan for this engine is to go through inspection of all the parts: Compression check; visual check; change intake gaskits; valve cover gaskets; oil pan gaskets; timing chain inspection and/or replacement, new water pump and thermostat. Anything that I can see an issue with will be repaired or replaced (only if I can remove the TC first LOL). Also new aftermarket exhaust manifolds (which I would need recommendation)

Its a long term project and I will take pictures for each of the task from start to complete.

Please do not hesitate to provide your input/advise on anything you see I missed.

Thanks again
msk

Last edited by msk59; 10-22-2012 at 03:33 PM.
Old 10-22-2012, 08:41 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Make sure you are using a 6 point wrench/socket, you will get a much better bite on the bolt/nut. 12 point sockets and wrenches are not your friend on tight or stuck stuff.

Old 10-22-2012, 11:07 PM
Most of my tools are craftmans. This evening I went and got special sockets for removing stripped bolts. Still no luck. I guess I will try this weekend.

Old 10-23-2012, 12:34 AM
Try and tap a 6 point 14mm or 9/16 (or whatever fits tightly, still not sure how it can be a 15mm) onto the nut and use an impact. The impact should break it loose.

Old 10-28-2012, 12:07 AM
thanks Toyz. I had to get nut extractor tool that had a 12 mm nut extractor. I used impact gun on it and it would not budge but after a short while, but eventually it came out. now I have a good spare torque vonverter.

Does anyone know the Transmission bolt size and what pitch? I need bolts to mont the engine stand plate to mount the engine on the stand.

thanks

Quick Reply: 1997 Ford F-150 Torque Converter Removal Question