1997 - 2003 F-150

Crazy gauges!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 06:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Crazy gauges!!!

So I'm driving home today and I notice my low fuel light is on but I just filled the tank up the night before and as I'm looking the fuel gauge start going up, when I noticed that I looked at my other gauges and the battery is going up and down rapidly and the temp gauge is doing the something. Anyone else have this happen or know the problem?

Old 03-21-2011, 06:49 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
If I had to guess, it's either battery related or your GEM module has gotten wet.

If you search at all, search "cluster problems". That might help.

Old 03-21-2011, 06:52 PM
Originally Posted by jbrew
If I had to guess, it's either battery related or your GEM module has gotten wet.

If you search at all, search "cluster problems". That might help.
Alright man thanks I searched gauges and battery and stuff I just didn't know how to word it in the search.

Old 03-21-2011, 07:12 PM
I just searched under cluster problems but nothing like what is happening to mine, appreciate the help in advance.

Old 03-22-2011, 07:21 PM
still trying to figure this out.

Old 03-22-2011, 11:34 PM

Did you even try to search GEM ?

I'll do it real quick.... -

Google Search - "F150 GEM,Cluster,Gauge Issues"

Here yuh go, this sound familiar (?) ~

A Ford Truck Forum users post:

Instrument Panel/Gauges Problems 97-F150

1997 F-150 XLT , 4.6, AT, 133K+

It has been a while since I have posted and this problem has only got worse from the initial problem. So I will re-cap everything. First was the fuel gauge problem, changing the in-tank unit did nothing but cost me $$. More troubleshooting, cussing and head scratching. Then the problem spread a bit to my oil gauge dropping off to zero to max when it had a mind to (that gets your attention real fast). Then the tach starts its own dance of jumping up and down when it had a mind to with the speedo doing the same. Then the tach settled back down one day on its own. But the speedo decided that it would work when it felt like it, the gas gauge still doing it own thing and sometimes in sync with the speedo, but the gas gauge never being correct in its readings. Still the faster you went the fuller the tank. Then…yes there is more. The over-temp decided to get into the picture too. Max over temp (gauge not truck) when it was not on max over-temp reading the speedo would jump around from zero to 90 (at any speed). If the speedo stayed on zero then you drove around with the gauge on max and an annoying over-temp light. Now on start ups, everything looked good until you took off and went over 20 mph and everything would start doing its own thing. Did I forget to say that the oil gauge had gone back to working again at this time? Remember this is over more than a few months.
Anyway…I checked more wires and had my dash tore apart more than most employed mechanics probably do in a busy month. FINDING NOTHING. After tracing wires on schematics in the Ford and Haynes manuals over and over (I tried to find a common denominator to tie all these gauges together) An electronic module….Being beaten down, crumpled, mumbling, cussing, teeth gritting and frustrated I ordered a PCM (power control module) $$$ lots of green! After it came in and I got it home, installed it and it didn’t fix the problem. I realized in my haste (and slow loss of sanity by now) that I have ordered the wrong module, actually it did seem to make the truck shift a little smoother or maybe I was trying to console myself? Remember electronic boxes are not a return item (except the high dollar ones for your core charge back). After saving a little more money and getting more sick and tired of driving with this these problems. I ordered the GEM (general electronic module). That I should of ordered in the first place. The book will say nothing to the sorts that the instruments have anything to do with this box. This is what the Ford book reads for this box. “The GEM incorporates the functions of several different modules into one and offers diagnostics to easily locate and repair concerns affecting the subsystems that it controls. The GEM constantly monitors the systems under its control and reports a concern in the form of diagnostic trouble codes (DTC’s). Note: The GEM can only detect open circuit/short to ground faults when it is not energizing a load, and short to battery faults when the GEM is attempting to energize a load. The GEM controls the following systems*Wiper Washer*Warning Chimes*Battery Saver* Illuminated Entry*Power Windows and Transfer Case (7A195) (4 X 4)”.
But I found that it was the only thing that seemed to share a common link to all the dash units (through warning lights) when digging through many wiring schematics.
I changed the unit out (the cheapest thing so far but Not cheap). This is an adventure in its self since it rides piggy back to the fuse panel under the driver’s side dash. You have to pull the fuse panel completely out to change the box which is held in place with three screws. I have since driven over 200 miles (slow, fast, faster, back-roads and interstate, lights on, lights off, in silence, radio blasting…everything but in a ditch) and everything is working right for the first time in months and months! Just thought you might like an up-date. I am now going to run outside to find a big tree so I can knock on wood just to be on the safe side! I only hope that I have nothing more to add to this thread in the future.
You can also check the two grounds behind the drivers side kick panel. The ground bolts 8mm are colored green, can't miss them. Like I said in my first post, I think your GEM got wet. After that happens, they corrode, cause problems.

Good Luck

Last edited by jbrew; 03-22-2011 at 11:47 PM. Reason: Added a few things.
Old 03-23-2011, 01:50 PM
appreciate it jbrew sorry about you having to search it didn't want to seem like i was just tryin to get someone else to do it for me. I googled the cluster problems for 98 f150's the first time then was trying to do research on the GEM because iv never had to work with one so i didn't know where it was or what it did and didn't think to search F150 GEM,Cluster,Gauge Issues but thank man.

Old 03-23-2011, 08:06 PM

No problem. Yea, when the GEM starts to go nuts, so can your truck. Wipers, 4WD system.-- etc..

Your going to have to dig it out, - it's behind the fuse block, -under the dash. There's pics around here somewhere, - you can most likley find them if you go thru a few old threads on the subject. They show where they corrode. - Right at the prongs/pins.

Anyway, that should give yuh a rough idea what you may be in for. I cann't recall how much a GEM Module is off hand. ??? 400-600 buck maybe ? I could be wrong, but I thought they were up there in price.

That guys long quote above, - man , I feel kinduh bad for him. Putting all that time and expense just to locate the problem. Then had to purchase a new one.
If you catch it in time, you may be able to patch the leak (water intrusion, most likely @ front windshield seal) , -clean up the module and be back in business.

That's if your lucky lol.

Good Luck, let us know how you make out.

Any questions , just ask, someone will most likley know around here.

Good Luck.

Last edited by jbrew; 03-23-2011 at 08:13 PM.
Old 03-23-2011, 08:47 PM
Found this one from another site(pic courtesy of green machine @f150forum.com).... GEM is on the left, fuse block on the right:

Name:  000_1758.jpg
Views: 4312
Size:  146.3 KB

Last edited by Red02FX4; 03-23-2011 at 08:50 PM.
Old 03-23-2011, 11:19 PM
Thanks man I looked it up and from what I saw they average from 150-250, this must of happened to the guy I bought the truck from to cause there was one of these under the back seat when I cleaned it out after buyin it! I read some where that our leaky windshields let water drip down near the gem could of happened to the first one and is now repeating itself.

Old 03-23-2011, 11:20 PM
Originally Posted by Red02FX4
Found this one from another site(pic courtesy of green machine @f150forum.com).... GEM is on the left, fuse block on the right:

Thanks for the pic.

Quick Reply: Crazy gauges!!!