intermittent brake squeal

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-1999, 05:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
intermittent brake squeal

My 97 F-150 XLT has recently developed an intermittent squeak in the R front brake area. It has recently had new pads and presents without any change in brake performance. The squeal does not occur when the brakes are applied, applying the brakes actually stops the squeak. I am not able to identify any precipating causes that seem to aggravate the problem. Any chance it is the caliper sticking?

Old 07-02-1999, 06:07 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Could be that there isn't enough anti-squeal goop on the backside of the pad. The stuff I use comes in a spray can. You could try that and then sanding the pads down smooth to get rid of any glazing that might be on them. Hope this helps.

------------------
'97 XLT Reg. Cab, 4.2V6, 5spd, Superchipped, K&N Air Filter, Lund Deflector, Dash Mat, MagnaFlow Muffler, Hellwig Rear Sway Bar, Edelbrock Shocks, Duraliner, Extang Saber Tonneau, Bell-Tech 2" Rear Drop, Amer. Rac. Atlas Wheels Clad in 275/60/17 Eagle GTII. Likes straightaways, loves twisties.

Old 07-03-1999, 08:26 AM
I'll give that a shot. Appreciate the advise

Old 07-03-1999, 04:08 PM
Here another one for you, I had the exact same problem you had after installing a set of performance friction pads and been squealing for 2 months, put the goopy stuff on lasted only 2 days and finally found out it was the shims that came with the pad were slightly scuffed. Called the company and they gave me the mumbo jumbo, I got fed up went to Advance and put on a set of Ferodo pads and been happy ever since.steve

Quick Reply: intermittent brake squeal