2wd Owners - Winter Traction Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2002, 10:32 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Sorry if I mis typed that post, the Flame part was about using the Generals, as it seems there is a lean towards ATs around here, not the part about wider is better.

I re-read my post, and it seems if I am promoting the use of wider tires, that was not what I meant.
Read what I mean, not what I typed, you all know I can't type worth a pi$$ .

The not sinking part was trying to be the negative part, akin to hydro-planing, again the post did not read this way.

The with of a 255 vs the width of a 225, you are talking
about 30mm, 25.4 mm to the inch, this is a delta of 1.18 inches.
Seems minor, but read on.

With the tire surface on the ground of a 255 at ~ 7" x 7" this is 49 sq" per tire, for an approx total surface of 196 sq" for the weight of the truck. I just saw a post the other day where the weight of the SCrew is ~ 4,900#s, so if I use this for the example...

This gives 25# /sq".

Contrast this to a 225.
This would give a surface area of ~ 7" by 5.82" for an approx surface area of 40.74 sq" per tire and a total of 162.96 sq".
Same weight of truck yields 30.07# / sq "

So in short order, for what might seem minor, can actually make a huge difference. This applies to using a 235 also, but it would not be a 20% increase in # /sq"

Given these are eye ball measurements, and normalized weight distributions, the same idea still holds true and tire that is ONLY 30mm narrower, can actually make a huge impact on traction.

In Chicago area, where I live, there are few times that the snow is left on the roads, as I live next to O'Hare airport, and between cities, county and state, the roads are almost always clear, unless we get another one fo those 25" in 24 hours hits.
So this was the comment on Buffalo NY or NE IN, where they always seem to get clobbered with snow.

So Flame me for the tire choice ( saying the Generals are not that bad ), not for my crappy typing.... I still know better then to try to run my L wheels with 295/45R18s on them in the snow ( can you say skating across the road into oncomming traffic )

I guess I am getting to that age, where I need to start using the post preview, and read the post

Last edited by SSCULLY; 12-06-2002 at 10:41 AM.
Old 12-06-2002, 10:47 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'd also like to agree with everyone who is saying that a narrower tire is better in the snow. Just look at a World Rally Car (WRC) and see what they run for snow and ice. They look like bicycle tires! That's because they put more pounds on fewer square inches so you sink down to pavement where the real traction is.

One other point I'd like to make. Although a Limited Slip rear end will help you in the snow because it sends power to the wheel with less traction, it can lead to some problems. With a regular rear end where one tire is generally not spinning, that non-spinning tire helps keep the vehicle heading in a straight line. When they both spin (like with LS), you can loose some lateral stability. (The tail end wags easier.) I still prefer having limited slip, but be aware of what can happen.

Old 12-06-2002, 08:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just to add to everyone's posts concerning narrow tires. Narrow is what you want for snow. Big fat wide tires only plow snow. You want to cut through. Tall and skinny will get ya where ya need to go.

Old 12-17-2002, 09:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
O.K. same theory with narrower tires being best... Just make sure that you have a stronger reinforced side wall.

I had a little Ranger a few years back and bought some narrower and slightly taller snow treads. They worked fine for that! But watch out when you have the dry sunny winter days. I carried some weight and started to drive similar to summer weather around roads and curves. I noticed the rear end wound reset during a curve when the sidewall would give. (nothing fast, just regular traffic speed with everyone else) It just felt like the rear would squat down and shift over a bit, and I was running a good air pressure.

They were General Grabber AP or AT. They were a lot better than the Firestone that came with it for traction. I hadn't had a crapy sidewall in a LT series before though.

Currently on my F150 2wd,
I run a stock sized Les Schwab Winter Master Plus studded tires on the rears.
Actually they ride in the back for weight and I put them on when our first snow or Freeze comes. I just swap them and put the regular ones in back for weight.
This worked well for a couple trips the the mountain for Skiing, (Typical weather and worked fair for a bit of snow. I didn't need to chain up, but had chains with me.)

Saw lots of wrecked 4x4's from idiots thinking that pushing a 4wd switch means "impress others with warp speed..."

The PNW area usually goes above and below freezing duying the day when it snows. Unless your on a main road, you need studded tires to get to work in the morning due to frozen water from rain or melted snow... I would have had to chain up if I didn't have the studs.

Where you drive (region), the typical winter weather, and how you drive really matters when picking a tire.

Quick Reply: 2wd Owners - Winter Traction Question