Balance Issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2002, 11:11 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Balance Issue

I've got BFG Long Trail TA's. They're only about 5k miles old. I'm getting a wobbling noise (not felt in the steering). I believe it was the left rear, so I changed to the spare. It seems somewhat better, but not gone. It also gets a little worse when on the throttle. Could this be u-joints or driveshaft? I have the factory aluminum rims. I'm gonna drop the tire off at the dealer and see if they will re-balance for me...

Old 11-19-2002, 11:22 AM
Could this be u-joints or driveshaft?
Yes or differential. Start by having the tires re-balabced and make sure all wheels are torqued correctly. Check your driveshaft/u-joints by parking the truck and leaving it in nuetral with the e-brake on. turn the driveshaft by hand and look for play. You can also have your driveshaft balanced for about $50 if you take it in yourself. This should include new U-joints in it too.

Old 11-19-2002, 10:44 PM
Wedge,

As for your problem, I agree with Spaceman.

On another note, what do you think of your Long Trail T/As? In bad weather, on dirt?

Thanks.

Good luck tracking down that noise.

Old 11-20-2002, 01:45 AM
On another note, what do you think of your Long Trail T/As? In bad weather, on dirt?
Here is my opinion on them,
I had Bridgestone Dualer A/T's and loved them. I got Long Trails a couple months ago because the price was good and most of my time is spent on the asphalt, so I figured I'd give them a shot. I have to say the Dualers were a little meatier but tire noise wasnt bad. They got better grip even in the rain than the long trails and better on soft stuff. No snow yet to compare, but the dualers handled it well. HWY handling and drivablilty is comperable. Both have a 50k tread wear warrenty. The dualers are $25 more/tire. My next purchase will be a bridgestone A/T. Perfect all around tire.

Last edited by spaceman12321; 11-20-2002 at 01:48 AM.
Old 11-20-2002, 11:37 AM
So far, no problems except for this wobble. That may just have been bad balancing, and no fault of the tire. I wish I'd gone wider, as mileage is pretty much gonna suck no matter what with an F series V8. If I wanted mileage, I'd own a Honda, right?

I've had no problems on dirt, but I don't really ever do much more than a gravel road. (I also wish I had a 4x4, but what can I say?)

This will be my first winter on them, and I'm worried they won't do well. My Jeep cherokee last winter had All-Terrain KO's, and most of the time in the snow I didn't even need 4 wheel drive! I was totally impressed with those tires. I was worried about mileage, or I'd have them on this truck as well. I bought these because I liked the KO's so much, that I trusted the BFG brand.

Maybe I'll buy two snow tires for the back. Anyone have any recommendations?

I'm taking them all in to be balanced tomorrow, and I'll see if that cures the vibration.

Quick Reply: Balance Issue