1st Post, Brake Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2002, 08:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1st Post, Brake Question

I have a 97 F150 4x4 with 112k miles. I have been through two sets of front rotors, and several sets of pads. Is rotor warpage pretty common? Anything that can be done about it?

Also I have drum rear brakes. I managed to break the rear end, and bought a bone yard rear end to replace it. I was thinking at the time that I wanted to upgrade to disk rear brakes. It looked to me that the rear ends were the same, and it would all bolt on, possibly needing the proportioning valve fron the donor vehicle. Has anyone actually done this and how hard was it? I was told by several people that it was not a good idea, but never really felt I was talking to someone who actually knew about it.

Thanks for your time guys. Great site. I wish I had found it sooner.

Old 11-07-2002, 08:41 PM
Ford is known for bad rotors, I just replaced mine with Powerslot rotors. I don't think there is any reason why you should have a problem changing to 4 wheel discs if you replace the proportioning valve, you may also want to think about looking into the ABS system just to make sure you might have to upgrade it for the 4 wheel discs.

Old 11-08-2002, 09:35 PM
2 sets of rotors in 112K is pretty normal. As far as rotor warpage some of it may be your driving style, also, are you using Ford replacement pads and rotors or cheap auto parts store stuff? The OEM parts tend to have better quality metal that holds up better.

-Jon

Quick Reply: 1st Post, Brake Question