WTF is wrong with my tires? (ProComp)

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2002, 09:15 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
good points mitch! Yeah low up front pressure is deffinitely a car set up!

I was just guessing on what the front ot back weight ratio is on these trucks. the rear weight could very well be better (or worse!) than 35%

My door sticker says 35 front and rear. I do believe I read a TSB somewhere that said some door sticker were wrong.

I got rid of the lousy Crapstone HT's and got some load range "E" BFG long trails and I run 35 all the way around and the trucks rides great on/off/towing etc.

Like you said run what you feel comfortable with and be safe.

Old 10-14-2002, 09:52 AM
kev
Ok first of all, I run a 35" off road mud terrain tire on a stock ford 7.5" rim. So the factory specs on tire pressure will not hold in my case!

So this is my method:

I pumped each tire up to 40psi. Then using a piece of chalk, I completely covered about 3-4 treads on each tire with the chalk going width wise. Then I drove the truck on a perfectly flat surface (my driveway) up about 25 yards and stopped. The marks in the chalk showed exactly what was contacting the road and what wasn't. From there I dropped the pressure in 2 psi increments and kept driving forward/backwards on each iteration until the chalk was wearing evenly throughout the tread pattern. I ended up with 30 in the front and 28 in the back. This procedure is also on 4wheelparts web site.

It makes sence that the back is less because there is less weight to bulge the tire, thus tire tire remains ballooned.

Again I have 20,000 miles on these tires and I have perfect wear. My handling is great considering the size of the tire. It performs well on the street, in rain, in snow, and of course off road. I couldn't be happier.

I don't believe that higher pressure in the back is more dangerous. The engineers do design the truck based on a single tire pressure all the way around because they know that is what mose people run. However to correctly account for the weight transfer, the fronts need to be a different pressure then the rears. If you make your contact area the same, you essentially make the effective pressure in the tire under load the same.

However if you use your truck for hauling load a lot, you will want to increase your pressure even more because of the extra weight. I very rarely carry things more than 200lbs in the bed of my truck, thus I want my tires to last, handle, etc. the best when unloaded.

kev

Old 10-14-2002, 10:26 AM
Just checked the pressure now that the temps have dropped. Looks like 33 ft. / 25 rear. The fronts seem to be doing alright, but the rears are still wearing in the middle. I just dropped the rear to about 23.

Looks like my ave. cold pressure for these tires is going to be 32 ft. / 22 rear. Does this seem right to you guys?

So you have 35x12.50R17's on stock 17x7.5 rims? At your pressures, do the front tires buldge / squish quite a bit?

-AR

Last edited by Jackal; 10-14-2002 at 10:48 AM.
Old 10-14-2002, 08:45 PM
Hey Jackal,

You know those guys that just have to rub it in? I must be one of them. You turned me on to the BFG's sized in the 285X70X17's in the A/T. Best move I could have made, couldn't be happier. I'm running 35 lbs. front and rear and they run a full contact patch on the road and lood good doing it. Thanks again and sorry you've had problems.

Last edited by GearHead_1; 10-14-2002 at 08:51 PM.
Old 10-14-2002, 09:11 PM
Hahaha...is there a "Flip-Off" icon anywhere? Good to hear man, I love the ProComp's otherwise. Will get the BFG's next time.

-AR

Old 11-19-2002, 07:16 PM
Cool

Well I am glad I read this post. I am in need of tires and want to go 285/70/17 or buy the 1st Blem Procomps 33/12/17 from www.4wheelparts.com for under $600 I am going to add a 3" PA lift this spring and within a year after the lift get 16x10 rims with 305/70/16 BFG Mud Terrain KM's.

This means the tires I am buying now will go on the stock 17x7.5 rim and be my winter tire. The 16" would be my summer tire. I am going to have to get by with the tires I have now for around a year. I think the stock 265/70/17 with 3" lift will look too small, what do you think the 285/70/17's would look like??

I can get the BFG Mud's 285/70/17 for $180....BFG A/T for $200 plus whatever shipping would be...or the Procomp AT for under $600 with shipping included. What would you guys do??

I am leaning towards picking up the BFG Mud's locally and using them. How do you think they would go in the snow??

Sorry for all the questions, I would just hate to be unfortunate like Jackal and learn the hard way. I am going to buy two sets of tires and would hate to have to end up buying 3 cause I made a poor decision. Any help?

Old 11-20-2002, 07:54 AM
kev
Well I have the Procomp mud terrains but they are similar.

To answer your question about the snow:

For light snow falls (less than 2 inches), they are like ice skates
For heavy snow falls, they are the best tires you can get because the snow never packs up those huge lugs.

In conclusion, if you want a good snow tire go with the all terrains. But I drive my mud terrains in the winter too, just have to be carefull as with any vehicle in these conditions.

Comparing procomp MTs to BFG MTs:
(I never had BFGs on my truck but have driven many other types of trucks with these tires)

I'd say they are compatible in every way except the Procomps are much much quieter on the road. Why, I haven't the slightest clue because they look identical. Maybe the rubber is different, I dunno, but the Procomps are sure quieter.

You will be happy with either brand, go for the best price and availability. I ordered my Procomps from 4wheelparts and they were at my door in 3 days if I remember correctly. THey also had the buy 3 get 1 free deal but I had to pay shipping. I think they have a sale now with free shipping.

Oh the stockers on the 3" body lift doesn't look right, believe me. I have 35s on mine. I don't think I would ever drop to 33s even. The 35s are perfect for this truck with this lift.

kev

Old 11-20-2002, 08:39 AM
Update...

Well guys, I got the inflation pressure down and I am loving every mile of my Pro Comps. Just got a Superchip and have been roastin' em' up and they still show no wear. Also they have 18mm of tread height while the GoodYears have 12mm. The Pro Comp compound is really soft, this is what makes them last so long and be so quiet...even while spinning at 40 mph. while the rest of the truck is only doing 10 mph.

-AR

Old 11-20-2002, 08:26 PM
Not to bust on ya but soft compounds wear quicker(or were you referring to the 18mil?)... But BFG or Comps you can't go wrong..

Quick Reply: WTF is wrong with my tires? (ProComp)