Advice on replacing pads/rotors on 2001SC FourWD

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2002, 12:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Advice on replacing pads/rotors on 2001SC FourWD

Will the rotors come off by removing the 2 18mm bolts? How do I check the hub bearings?

I live in central FL where there is a lot of heat and sudden rainstorms. Basically hot rotors and large puddles means warped rotors, especially on a 5300lb Ford truck.

Any recommendations on OEM style replacement pads and rotors. Baer and the like are out of the question, too $.

Also, my rims get really dusty and style of pad to remedy that?

Old 09-13-2002, 01:08 PM
Hmm

Ok, i just did mine on my 98 4x4 and the calipers sit in a cradle that needs to be removed to get the rotor off. So you remove the caliper (two bolts) and then you remove the 2 bolts holding the cradle in place. Once the cradle is off you can pull the rotors off.

Sometimes the rotor is seized onto the hub so you need to get creative to get it off. I don't have a big enough gear puller so what I do is place an old shirt over the rotor and hit it with a BFH (Big F**kin hammer) on the bottom and then the top (the face of the rotor) over and over until it gets shocked off.

WEAR EAR AND EYE PROTECTION it's loud and sometimes the rotor starts to break apart

Replacements, buy the best you can afford...cheap brake parts are just that CHEAP. You wouldn't buy cheap condoms so why buy cheap brake parts...always spend the money on safety.

There are all kinds of dustless pads out there, I believe the SVT folks go with ceramic pads....

Hope this helps!!

Old 09-13-2002, 06:32 PM
I am pretty sure that I am going to go with Power Slot rotors when I replace mine within the month. Just was quoted a price of $82.50 per rotor(or 82.95 I can't remember without looking) plus shipping.

Quick Reply: Advice on replacing pads/rotors on 2001SC FourWD