need some help, slight pull to the left

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2002, 08:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
need some help, slight pull to the left

Truck is a 97 F150 4.6L with 141500K miles, disc front/rear drum setup
I changed out my pads and rotors a little less than 20K ago. It now feels like when I hit the pedal it pulls to the left just a tad. Would that mean the left caliper is sticking or the hose collapsing or is the right side not grabbing the rotor?
I can also sometimes feel a small amount of pedal pulsation but not everytime. The hub bearings were also changed at the same time and balljoints were done less than 500 miles ago.
After the brakes, rotors and bearings all was smooth for ahile. I was feeling a bump bump bump feeling when turning and the tech first said he thought it might be the lower steering shaft. Come to find out it was the balljoints. The balljoints did help the bump bump feeling a little but didn't solve it completly.

The above is a little confusing so let me recap what I'm asking hlp on
Slight pull to the left under brake application?
Slight bump bump feeling in the steering when turning?
Slight pedal pulsation?

I have warranties on all the brake parts until about Oct, so there's no money out of pocket yet. I am trying to find the time to pull the front wheels of and check everything and to clean and regrease all the calpier slide points. Also, the rear shoes were replaced by the dealer before purchase so they have about 54K on them. I plan to change them out soon as that might be part of the pulsation problem.
Th steering problem can be narrowed down to bad cv's, bad tie rods, or bad steering shaft. I guess it's possiable a hub bearing with less than 20K is already bad.

Old 08-08-2002, 02:29 PM
I had something like that on an 87 F-150.

It had a collapsed hose(cliper to hard line)
Could definately be a caliper also.
Since the new bearings have you retightened/adjusted the rotor, that's pretty important to do.

Old 08-09-2002, 01:33 AM
svtoby
You make a good point. I heard today you are supposed to replace the rubber brake hoses every 100K and that could be the problem. It's not a signifiacant amount of pull, at least not yet, the slight bump bump feeling annoys me more. It seems like when I get one small problem fixed, I find another. My friend is right... I look for problems.

As for retightening the rotor that is near to impossiable. On the front of the 97 which is a 4x4 they use a hub bearing and it's sort of a trapped rotot design. To put it simple the hub bearing sits in the spindle with the cv axle in the center with the large nut. Your rotor then slips over the center collar and the wheel helps to hold the rotor on.
I remember seeing a very small gap around the center hole in rotor and the collar of the hub bearing. I wonder if this is a design defect from Bendix. As it seems to me this would cuase a imbalance when the wheel is tightened down and the rotor is dropped to one side a little. I will check out the factory rotor and hubbearing as I still have both still sitting as a unit rusted togther. I am also might try to pull the wheel off and check everything again along with lubing the caliper slides.

Quick Reply: need some help, slight pull to the left