The "End All" pad/rotor discussion............

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2002, 02:28 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink The "End All" pad/rotor discussion............

O.K. I did a search on brake install & type of pads & such and I found some good answers, bad answers and vague answers.

Here's my dilemna! I've got a '98 F150XLT 4.6L supercab and I'm at 44,000 miles. Fronts are starting to give me the rythmic "woob, woob, woob, woob" indicating warping, but not bad enough to feel in the steering wheel yet.

Now, on my '98 Camry I've played the pad/rotor game 5 times already and found that the "best of the best" has boiled down to OEM pads and OEM rotors......period!!! I'm on my last set of the Raybestos "QS" Quiet Stop 'ceramic' series pads which do work well, but there is just not a rotor made that can handle what the "QS" pads can dish out. (i.e. CONSTANTLY warping rotors........which BTW.....can hardly be turned more than once anymore!!!! Grrrrrrrrr!!!)

Soooooooo, considering cost, convenience, availability, etc. etc. is this the same case scenario for my f150 pads too? BTW, I've even considered that today's rotors are almost about to turn tables on the pads where we (truck/car owners) may end up replacing rotors and keep using pads instead of the opposite when I used to go through 3 sets of pads before even "thinking" of turning/replacing rotors!!(years ago) Am I wrong?????? Is anyone else noticing the same trend??????????

TIA~~~~Randy

Old 01-13-2002, 01:11 PM
agree, somewhat

Randy,

Yes, I agree that it seems the life of pads are nw outlasting the rotors. That doesn't speak to highly of OEM rotors...especially where a 4600lb. truck is concerned. I've read soooo many posts of the POS Ford OEM rotors warping within the first 40K miles to feel comfortable in my decision to replace them with aftermarket ones at the time of my first brake job.

That last point is where I disagree with you. You feel the OEM rotors and pads, given their availability and low cost are the best route? I couldn't disagree more, especially where something so important as stopping is concerned. Why deal with warping, pulsing and maybe even cracking rotors (read one post wher they cracked and caused an accident) when there are alternatives, albeit slightly more expensive (some waaaaaaaaay more expensive). And if you've read many brakes posts, you'll see that folks are warping the Ford rotors with factory pads. Seems to me there is an obvious problem with the engineering on the rotors.

For me, I'll be looking to Stillen or, if at the time I need rotors I have enough extra $$, I'll go with a Baer setup. Yep, I'll spend more $$ on the brakes but I'll get lifetime warranty against warpage and a pad/rotor combo (and in the Baer case a caliper) that'll stop my truck much sooner than the OEM rig (hopefully).

Just my .02

Natty

Old 01-13-2002, 09:55 PM
I would surmise that the OEM pads and rotors are designed as a set, various characteristics engineered together to cause them to work in concert together.
Slowly the days of factort OEM over-built componets with the ability to operate with aftermaket upgrades are coming to an end. To often the factory warns of warranty violations - safety issues when we attempt to perform normal periodic maintance on our trucks.
Brake pads which outlive the soft rotors of today.
Anything to reduce cost & weight.
I think I would go the complete pad and rotor route if I could. Replacing both of course if the ABS would still operate correctly.

Old 01-14-2002, 02:06 AM
Get some Bendix, Aimco or Wagner rotors.

For the pads, get the Autozone Carbon metallic units.

Old 01-14-2002, 02:53 AM
I just installed a set of the raybestos ceramic pads on my dad's 99 xcab 4x4. at 36K miles, the rotors looked alright, but the pads were shot. Was this a mistake? Should I start rotor shopping now?

Mitch

Old 01-14-2002, 01:23 PM
Wink

O.K., Natty, I hear ya'! I'm a newbie to this board so I'm sure you've seen more "horror story" posts than I. That said, my next question would be which rotor/pad setup to use specifically??? I think the OEM calipers have enough stopping pressure for what I need. (I tow a 600lb jetski at the most) So, I think I just need good rotors and good pads to keep going. Actually, my originals kind of laugh at my Camry dilemna!! LOL!! (Been through 5 sets already and only 54,000mi on the Camry!!)

And as for Aimco rotors?? Well, Matt, I don't know about Bendix or WAgner, but the Aimco's warped faster than OEM on my Camry and even though I've had them turned, the metal seems to be toasted throughout so I just can't recommend them suckers. Maybe somebody's had better luck?? IMO, I may have a heavier foot than most folks and I'm fine with that so now I just need to know what the "hot" setup is for pad/rotors since I really don't plan on using these OEM's again. (i.e. I don't even think turning them is worth it as warped rotors seem to *stay* bad once they've gone bad!?!)

Again, my .02~~~Randy (P.S. Bronco, I wouldn't worry about your dad's setup unless you start to hear/feel warping. I, however, don't like metallic pads. Raybestos QS ceramics are barely tolerable for me still seem to be way too much pad for OEM rotors, but as good as store-bought get I suppose!?!?!)

Old 01-14-2002, 04:03 PM
Randy,

I hope I didn't come off as a know it all...nothing could be further from the truth and my apologies if I sounded that way. Actually, before I found this site (and World) I had no idea there was a problem with 150 rotors (mine has only 3400 miles on it). So I became very interested in the topic and read all the brake posts then did some on-line research into alternatives.

If your need for replacements is immediate, I'd say to check out Stillen for their rotor/pad combos. Talk to them an ask about the warping problem and their warranty. If you can get by with turning them, Baer will have replacements in 6 months or so and for my money, Baer would get the call. One thing though, Baer will certainly be pricier than Stillen.

Not having first hand experience with the Stillens, I can't honestly say I KNOW for sure how they'll last but I can go by what I've seen here and elsewhere and that is the Stillens will be waaaay better than OEM.

Good luck, let us know what you decide.

Natty

Quick Reply: The "End All" pad/rotor discussion............