All-terrain tire advice

Old 02-18-2019, 09:00 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
All-terrain tire advice

I’m new to the forum, and I’ve read around and everyone has their own opinions. I’m sure this has beaten to death but what the hell!

I need new tires. Here’s my situation. I live in the Adirondacks. 6 miles from a main road. 1 mile of it dirt and gravel. My driveway is a steep winding 250 yards. Aside from the challenges of my daily commute especially in these winter months (if they call for a foot of snow I’ll get 15”) at the house due to elevation), I frequently travel to remote destinations to hunt, fish, and hike. I need a capable tire for off road. However, 70-80% of my daily driving is on maintained roads.

On my Jeep, I had horrible experiences with bfg a/t. Lasted between 20k-30k. Terrible traction on road. Once sent me spinning with a dusting of snow. And yes, tires were rotated every oil change. From there I moved to duratracs, best tires I have ever owned.

Now my conundrum. I don’t intentionally go off-roaring in my truck like I did my Jeep. And I care about my mpg and somewhat about road quality.

Ive been interested in the Goodyear Adventure, but because of my driving conditions should I consider the LT or will ride comfort go out the window?

yes I’ve considered duratracs as well, but I’ve heard of losing 3-4 mpg when switching to them.

What other A/T tires have you had success with?!

Last edited by ADKsasquatch; 02-18-2019 at 09:09 AM.
Old 02-18-2019, 09:40 AM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
They may not be what you need but the Firestone Destination AT P rated tires I bought for my truck are very quiet. I've heard they wear quickly but I don't care because I'm retired and don't put that many miles on my truck.

Old 02-19-2019, 11:55 AM
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
I'll pass along my brothers experience with off road tires. He is a trapper and ranch security guard for one of the largest ranches in Texas. He drives about 99% offroad in a Tacoma. Goodyears, he calls them goodlucks because you're lucky if you get there without having a flat. He claims they get concrete hard in about 2 years with traction going away. Coopers, he can't hardly make it around the fences on one set of Coopers. They wear horribly. Bridgestone, they are his second choice but they are prone to rock bruising and side cuts. His choice of tires that last the longest and he has the least issues with is the Goodrich T/A KO2 all season. Works in the rocks and works in the mud. And he can get them to last longer than the others. I'm sure the environment has a lot to do with how the tires wear but I've seen like the Coopers he tried that the tred was all but eat off of the tires from rocks cutting the far too soft rubber compound. FWIW, I don't recall the model of tire but the rancher gave him a new Chevy truck 4x4 in 2014. It came with street tires which didn't last a month. His rancher had General offroad tires put on it and they lasted until the Chevy truck at 8 months old shelled out the transmission and front axle. They were a heavy cleated design tire. So he's back driving his 96 Tacoma with the T/A KO2 tires. Where he is at, cell phone rarely works. Sometimes even satellite phone is worthless. He has to have dependability in everything to do with a truck. It can easily take days to have to walk out of some of the places on the ranch with summer temps at 110F+.

Old 02-19-2019, 02:53 PM
glc
Received 756 Likes on 702 Posts
What are your truck details, and what size is on it?

The KO2's are the all-terrain tires that seem to be the standard that everything else is compared to. However, you do pay for that, they aren't cheap.

Old 02-19-2019, 03:15 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My 2 cents
I had bfg TA/KO on my 05 f150. I thought they were great. When they wore out I did some research and decided to try Michelin’s Defender LTX AT2. First thing I noticed was much better tracking of the vehicle, way smoother ride and responsive steering. They don’t look like an off road tire and the ride is amazing IMO. If you’re concerned about mpg, check them out. I also have never had a problem in snow. We don’t get much here, but I have no problem in up to 15” so far.

Old 02-19-2019, 05:25 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
I'm a Michelin fan too, but don't have off-road tires. My all weather ones have worked well in moderate snow. I'd go with Labnerd's advice if you decide against duratracs and need traction in heavy snow.

- Jack

Old 02-21-2019, 03:41 PM
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
If the tires are for the truck and you don't go offroad much, I've had the Michelin LTX MS2 tires on my Bronco going down the continental divide. I did manage to cut one sidewall but if you are offroad savy and run into a bad spot in the road, you know to put the tire on it. Rarely will you ever do damage to a tire thru the bottom when offroading. The biggest issue is sidewall cuts. But they are not a 3 star rated tire for snow and where I'm at, if it snows, they roll up the sidewalks as it doesn't snow here but once every 20 years. If an all season tire will work, I just took the Bridgestone Alenza tires off of the SCrew and put on a set of Vogue SCT Black tires on it. Ride quality is outstanding as is handling. I wouldn't hesitate to take the truck on gravel or ranch roads. But rock climbing and running thru the brush isn't going to work. Vogue is pretty much a luxury custom tire maker. Their tires are rated as good as you can get. Mine in 275/55/20 are AA rated with Utog at 460, speed rating at 149 mph. They are a 60,000 mile warranted tire. If a gravel road and snow are the issue, the Vogue should work great. Rock climbing won't work. Take a look:
https://www.voguetyre.com/products/t...e-v-black-sct#

Old 02-21-2019, 04:17 PM
glc
Received 756 Likes on 702 Posts
The LTX MS2 is not an all-terrain tire. They are all-season highway tires. The LTX AT2 is all-terrain, that's the one you should be looking at if you don't want KO2's.

Old 05-02-2019, 11:04 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I’ve had Michelin LTX AT2 tires for a bit over a year. Didn’t care for them in wet/snow conditions. While they handled great on highway, the compound was too hard and tread design is minimal for off road and snow/ice conditions. I recently switched to Falken Wildpeak AT3. Call it an inexpensive version of BFG if you like but these really worked well, in light off roading, snow, sand, and handling, as well as pulling my travel trailer. Surprisingly almost no noise difference over the Michelin’s. Price is very good over Michelin’s and BFG’s. 55k warranty.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: All-terrain tire advice