2004 F-150 SuperCrew FX4 - soft brakes - Aftermarket options?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2018, 11:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 F-150 SuperCrew FX4 - soft brakes - Aftermarket options?

I did a search of the forums but didnt see anything that addressed this. 2004 F150 SuperCrew FX4. 5.4 engine. 44,000 miles (I don't drive much). Front has the 3" lift and 33" tires - a bit larger than stock but not really oversize. No other modifications to the truck. Brake pedal is mushy. Took it to Midas and they replaced the master cylinder and booster two years ago because the pedal was mushy and at a stop light I sometimes wondered if I could stop even with the pedal on the ground. Worked okay for a couple years, then I was told the fluid was dirty so they drained the fluid again. Said the two year old master cylinder was shot. Not under warranty, so I had them replace it again and replace the contaminated brake fluid. Was nice for two months, now it feels like I am not going to stop again. Not as bad as before, but still not solid. I rented a Home Depot Ford F250 Super Duty today and the brakes were "OMG, I am going to go thru the windshield" good. And that was with 3000 pounds of tile in the back. I have replaced the rotors, pads, fluid, booster and master cylinder twice. Still isnt good. Have any of you replaced the stock brake mechanisms with something after market? The tires are not huge, but wondering if the technology in 2004 just isnt as good as today? I Googled for after market brakes but they all seem to be the same thing I have, but more spendy. I dont like mushy brakes especially when someone else drives my truck. Not sure where to take the truck to get this solved, but a big 4x4 with no stopping power is not really a good thing. Would love suggestions either on what is going on with my stock brakes or alternatives. Thanks all.

Old 03-02-2018, 10:18 AM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
If it were mine, I'd replace all 5 of the flexible brake hoses and all 4 calipers. It's old enough that the hoses should be replaced and one or more of the calipers just may be sticking.

Old 03-02-2018, 11:05 AM
Originally Posted by Roadie
If it were mine, I'd replace all 5 of the flexible brake hoses and all 4 calipers. It's old enough that the hoses should be replaced and one or more of the calipers just may be sticking.
Thanks. I was wondering about the hoses and if they were what was causing the contaminated brake fluid. Apparently my power steering fluid is contaminated as well. Maybe time for a hose rebuild.

Thanks for the reply.

Old 03-02-2018, 02:05 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
Brakes and power steering lines are totally different.

In any event, I would replace your rubber lines, calipers, pads, rotors, and check your power steering hoses. Then flush your power steering system and bleed your entire brake system.

My 2007 is about due for it's flush of fluids. It will be this summer's project.

Old 03-04-2018, 11:27 AM
Originally Posted by ManualF150
Brakes and power steering lines are totally different.

In any event, I would replace your rubber lines, calipers, pads, rotors, and check your power steering hoses. Then flush your power steering system and bleed your entire brake system.

My 2007 is about due for it's flush of fluids. It will be this summer's project.
Thanks. I realize they are different - but both are contaminated. So putting 2 and 2 together I am betting that the rubber hoses on both are breaking down and contaminating the fluid in both reservoirs. Now the question is... stock or braided lines :-).

Thanks again!

Old 03-17-2018, 04:07 PM
Just as a followup - I replaced the stock brake hoses with Russell Street Legal brand hoses. Took a few hours to do. Well, the first front one took about two hours (due to the "figuring it out" time) and the other front side took about 15 minutes :-). Pretty easy once I figured out what needed to be done. Rear was easy but weird. The Russell hose only goes from the main line to the "T" on the axel. From there there are lines and short hoses to the calipers. So I got all the rubber out... except by the wheels, and for the life of me, i cant seem to find that part. Going to call Russell (Edlebrock) on Monday. Flushed the lines and bled everything. Brakes seem better. Will have to see if the fluid contaminates again. The stuff that ended up in the bottle was pretty dirty even though Midas supposedly flushed it last time they replaced my Master Cylinder about three months ago. I am betting they didnt actually flush it properly. The truck has ABS and I hear there is more to flushing the system than most people understand.

Anyway - just wanted to throw the follow up out there in case anyone visits the post. Thanks again guys.

Old 03-17-2018, 05:14 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
It sounds like Midas didn't know what they were doing or they were rushing.

I think you will be good for a while.

Quick Reply: 2004 F-150 SuperCrew FX4 - soft brakes - Aftermarket options?