do you think the larger tires might "spin" on the rims?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2001, 04:33 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
do you think the larger tires might "spin" on the rims?

i just got my tires balanced and rotated tonight and they were way off. no weights were missing and i saw them the first time they were balanced. they were all previously balanced to 0 on the computer spin balancer. one tire was off by almost 12 oz. on the opposite side. do you think it is possible the tires are "spinning" or "rotating" on the rims. with the torque and hp of the 5.4l could it be possible? has anyone ever checked this somehow? i have 35" bfg muds on eagle 589's. thanks. mitch

Old 09-22-2001, 12:47 PM
r6racer,

we used to have that happen a lot with our farm trucks. we aired the tires down for better traction. this works great, but you gotta be careful when you spin 'em. don't know it this applies to you, just my thoughts, Rich.

Old 09-22-2001, 10:13 PM
Possibly

I'd say it's possible, just not likely. The only way I could see it happening is if they were mounted within the last six months (before all the mounting lube evaporates), deflated to under 20psi (you went mudding or something), and you were really punching the go pedal. Otherwise, if it was just daily driving, it's really not likely. Problem is, you have 35" tires, even worse Mt's. They'll always ride rough, and with the extended load range making the tire heavier, they're even harder to balance. 12oz is waayyy to excessive, your tire shop should have spun the tire on the rim to get a better balance. 12ox means they're something wrong, either the rim is out of round or the tire is. Anyway, analyze your driving, make sure the tires are evenly worn, then take it back to the shop. Good luck, let me know how it goes

Old 09-27-2001, 01:46 AM
if you think the tires are slipping on the bead an old drag raceing trick is to run duct tape over the tire and the rim. more likly it's the tires mud type tires need to be rebalanced about every 3000 miles, if yours ere off that far recheck them in 500 to 1000 miles as they wear back to center they will unbalance agian.

Old 09-28-2001, 09:00 AM
Mark The Tires/Rim

Get a white, orange or other color marker and mark the tire and rim. Check after driving a while and see if the marks still line up. Is it happening to all 4 tires? If they are slipping, it could be caused by using wrong lubrication solution when the tires were mounted. If that's the case you need to remove the tires from the rims and clean the beads real good. Then clean the rims and buff out with a buffing tool.
I'm assuming you have the right size tires for the rims.

Quick Reply: do you think the larger tires might "spin" on the rims?