What would you do?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2001, 08:54 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question What would you do?

I need new tires. I decided to go ahead and go with custom rims and tires, but now I am not sure which tires to go with. If you all had to decide between the Pirelli Scorpion P-Zero's and the Yokohama AVS S/T's, which would it be? There isn't much of a price difference, (AVS's a little higher) I just need a little help with the tires.
Thanks!

Old 09-20-2001, 01:34 AM
Tires

Hey Adamski.

I got a question first. What size rims and tires are you planning on going with? I have some 18" wheels and I was in the market for some 255/55 R18's. I priced the Yokohama AVS's, the Pirelli Scorpion's, Toyo Proxies, and Michelin Pilot's. Out of the four, the Toyo Proxies have the best treadwear rating (420), and the other ratings were all the same. Plus, the Toyo's were also the least expensive tire out of the four. The price ranged from 620 (Toyo's) to 1100 (Michelin's). Also, I don't know if you like the look, but the Toyo's also have a meaner tread design. Hope this helps!

Audiofreek

Old 09-20-2001, 10:01 AM
Adam,
I would go with the Toyo's like the Freek said or go with the Pirellis. I've heard a lot of bad things about the Yoko's. One tire shop around here told me not to get those because they were having a lot of customers returning them for defects, and high road noise. I have the Michelin's as you can see in my sig and I absolutely love them. Best all season tires I've ever owned. They cost a little more as Audio pointed out but they are worth it. Plus they will last longer than the Scorp's or the Yoko's. Tread rating on the Scorp's and Yoko's is around 200 to 300. My Pilot's are rated at 400. I asked that same tire shop about the Pirelli's and they said they will last 20 to 25K miles. The Toyo's and Pilots with their 400+ rating will last 50K+ miles.
Hope that helped.

Old 09-20-2001, 10:26 AM
I plan on going with 285-60-17's. I am getting them from Discount Tire, and I have worked a pretty good deal on the Pirelli's. Over the past few years I have run about 8 sets of wims and tires through this guy, so he's giving me a really good break.
I really like the looks of the Scorpion P-Zero's, and from the best I can tell, they actually have a higher load rating than the Yoko's.
As for the Toyo tires, I refuse to deal with them again. We put a set of their "top of the line" Z rated tires on my moms Mark VIII and they lasted all of two months. All of a sudden the side walls started giving out. Within three weeks we had to have all four tires replaced. We dealt directly with Toyo and they wouldn't warranty the tires because they felt there was a problem with the car and not the tires. It's no been over a year since we put the Yokohama's on the car and they are still going strong!

Old 09-20-2001, 11:16 AM
Don't buy the Yoko AVS's. They are a unidirectional tire that gets very noisy after about 8-10K miles.
I have Michelin Pilots 285/60/18 that are great. Currently have about 25K miles on them and they still have lots of rubber left and are wearing very evenly.
Also, the type of tire you purchase depends on your needs, ie: off-roading, snow, highway, city, etc. I mainly travel on the highway so my needs were for superior traction, smooth and quiet ride. No snow here either. Thus the Michelins.