HELP! 05 FX4 problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2016, 10:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HELP! 05 FX4 problems

Well.. about a week ago i got new tires on my truck (stock size). The following day I was pulling out of work and heard this clicking noise when I had the wheels turned all the way to the right and in reverse. Didnt think anything about it until I was almost home and had this god awful grinding noise, again from front left. Jacked the truck up, shook the wheel.. low and behold, wheel bearing was bad. Replaced hub,brake line, and caliper due to my caliper sticking on me one day and causing overheating. (Havent heard the noise since) Tried to spin the wheel and it was hard like something was resisiting it from spinning freely (truck was started). So next I checked vacuum lines and replaced, due to the fact that i dont want to mess with it again. Tried to spin the wheel again and had same resisitance as before. Got to looking under the truck as i spun it and noticed the half shaft and the shaft from the differential to transfer case is spinning causing the resisitance (my theory) Looked at my vacuum resevoir and it is cracked at the seam (kinda looks like it could be two peices that snap together but im not sure). rigged it up to hold a better seal and i also replaced IWE solenoid.. now the shaft will only spin sometimes.. But I still have resisitance. Im not a mechanic what so ever but have been around one my whole life (my dad) but all he ever works on is 69-96, never messed with 04 and newer.. kind of stuck in his old ways lol.. "Why would they ever get rid of locking hubs" is what he says.. in which i agree. Gas mileage and torque have drastically changed for the worse... So now that I have told you my whole life story it seems, maybe one of you can answer my questions.

Is the half shaft supposed to turn when in 2wd and started? (Passenger side spins freely)

Could the actuator not be fully disengaged all the way? (4wd works and havent heard grinding noise since i changed wheel hub assembly)

Is the vacuum resevoir supposed to be one piece?

Thanks in advance...

Old 06-22-2016, 11:38 PM
glc
Received 756 Likes on 702 Posts
Is the half shaft supposed to turn when in 2wd and started?
No. The IWE's and front driveshaft should be disengaged.

Quick Reply: HELP! 05 FX4 problems