Abs Light,and Brakes Lock

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2001, 04:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Abs Light,and Brakes Lock

A few weeks ago my abs light came on when it was raining,the brake would completely lock up,instead of skid and release with the abs working.the light went off after about 45 minutes.but now the brakes don't work near as good as they did before,and lock up very easily,the abs light hasn't come on again though.i let the rear pads wear out really bad,no squealers on em,and the right rear rotor is grooved a little on the inside,could that be a factor? when the abs light came on it was a couple thousand miles before i changed the pads and noticed the groove in the rotor. just to make sure it's not just a faulty brake system,does anybody else's abs make the truck start to skid then release in rain?cause this is my first new truck,and i figured it was just the way they worked,any help would be greatly appreciated,i really don't want to have to go to the dealer,for price,and i don't trust them over myself

Old 09-15-2001, 12:03 AM
have you checked the fluid in the master cylinder reservior? Did it run dry by chance? Any leaks around the ABS unit or the entire braking system? Is the rear ABS sensor connected to the top of the pumpkin?

Old 09-15-2001, 02:05 PM
the reservoir was full,where is the abs unit located? i haven't checked the rear abs sensor,i was planning on checking everything today

Old 09-15-2001, 05:19 PM
the ABS module is basically on the frame under the master cylinder. Check all the fittings there, make sure they are not leaking. Also check all the hoses and ABS connections

Old 09-16-2001, 10:32 PM
thanks for the help,i haven't checked all the fittings yet,i think i'm gonna pull the wheels off tomorrow and check everything,i need to check all the bolts/nuts on the suspension anyway.there's only one wire on the rear diff. so i'mm guessin it's the one for the abs sensor,right?it's on the top of the housing in the back.if i unhooked it(to drive the truck and see if that's exactly what happened)would that damage any of the electronics or brake units?

Quick Reply: Abs Light,and Brakes Lock