Front Right Brake locked and smoking

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2015, 05:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Front Right Brake locked and smoking

My 2007 Ford F150 front passenger brake is stuck and wont release. Its fire hot, it stinks and its smoking. I just finished replacing the front drive shaft and had the emergency brake engaged during the replacement. I disengaged the e-brake when i was done. Not sure if that maybe triggered something in the brakes. I know when I'm trying to accelerate it feels like I'm pulling a 2 ton trailer. The truck is pulling to the right extremely hard due to the locked brake. Any help is appreciated. I just need to get it unlocked so i can get it to the shop. I'm having a brake job done on it this week. I'm afraid it will catch fire at this rate.

Old 09-21-2015, 12:21 PM
your e-brake/parking brake is only for the rear brakes.
so it is totally unrelated to any issues with the front brakes.

as far as how to get it unlocked so you can get it to the shop - you could try opening the bleed screw, but it is highly doubtful that there is brake pressure. you probably will have to pry the pad back from the rotor, but it would likely get re-stuck on the first brake apply.

So maybe the best option is to tow it.

Old 09-27-2015, 04:28 PM
Originally Posted by KAM407
My 2007 Ford F150 front passenger brake is stuck and wont release. Its fire hot, it stinks and its smoking. I just finished replacing the front drive shaft and had the emergency brake engaged during the replacement. I disengaged the e-brake when i was done. Not sure if that maybe triggered something in the brakes. I know when I'm trying to accelerate it feels like I'm pulling a 2 ton trailer. The truck is pulling to the right extremely hard due to the locked brake. Any help is appreciated. I just need to get it unlocked so i can get it to the shop. I'm having a brake job done on it this week. I'm afraid it will catch fire at this rate.
In a pinch you can clamp off the line and open the bolt at the caliper to release the pressure. It will get you home as long as the brake pins are not seized. Then change the caliper, lube pins, change rubber hose to be safe. If needed go on and change the front brake pads and rotor while you are there. Done this a few times

Old 10-05-2015, 12:56 PM
Originally Posted by SSGT_B
In a pinch you can clamp off the line and open the bolt at the caliper to release the pressure. It will get you home as long as the brake pins are not seized. Then change the caliper, lube pins, change rubber hose to be safe. If needed go on and change the front brake pads and rotor while you are there. Done this a few times
Just be REALLY REALLY careful... if you have to brake hard it will yank the truck to the side due!

Old 10-05-2015, 06:15 PM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
You need to pry the pads away from the rotor. But they may stick again the first time you push the brake pedal. Have it towed to wherever you can replace the caliper, hoses, and lube the sliders.

I had a rear caliper stick and the RR brake got really hot. I stopped and used a garden hose at a closed car dealership to hose it down until it cooled off and drove it home. For some reason it didn't stick again on the way home.

Quick Reply: Front Right Brake locked and smoking