Really Confused

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2001, 09:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Really Confused

Allright, now i'm starting to get really, really annoyed. I just put my 315/75/R16 MTR's back on to my truck after a little incident and the loss of five lug nuts. (long story) The lugs that were sent to me to replace the missing ones were too short and did not hold the front wheels in place, letting the wheels wobble. These tires are mounted on Eagle alloy 143 lug centric wheels. I thought i might have had a warped rotor but put the longer lugs on the front and solved that problem, or at least i thought. I went to the local goodyear dealership/service place and had all four tires static balanced, or in other words, the weights are only on the inside of the wheel. The truck drove great for about a day. Today, i took the truck over about 45 mph and the steering wheel oscillated back and forth a good two inches. This scared the hell out of me. I had my passenger look out his window at the front left tire while i peaked out my window. Neither one of us could tell if one of them was wobbling. Now the truck does not pull to one side so the allignment is good. I am just about to say screw it and run the stockers but I would hate to do it. Could it be a balance problem or what? Do i need a steering stabilizer? This is really eating at me so if you guys/gals could let me know what you all think, it would be great. These tires kick *** but I need to drive a long distance in a few weeks at highway speeds. I'm petrified to even think what's going to happen then. Sorry about the long post. Eric

Old 09-08-2001, 10:11 PM
How do you like the lift? Do those tires fill the wheel well nice? I have basically the same setup as you, I have a body lift in my house, I'm just waiting for a time to put it on. I have the 285's on right now and I think they might be a little small when the lift is on. I hope it will look Ok so I don't dislike it myself or have to buy tires to replace my 1 month old 285's. Here is what it is like now....

Old 09-08-2001, 11:54 PM
I remember correctly the wheels for the F150 are hub centric. If that is true then running lug centric wheels can cause all kinds of vibration/shimmy/shake problems.

Old 09-10-2001, 11:47 PM
As of 2000

I am 99% sure that as of 2000 model year the wheels are lugcentric.

Old 09-12-2001, 02:01 AM
Reasons for vibration

If you were having a problem with the rim not lineing up correctly, than you would feel the wobble at all speeds. Likely your problem is that the tires are out of balance. Static balance is great for looks, but is the Worst Balance Available. There a a variety of different balancing techniques that your installer can use. My suggestion is that you march right back down your your tire shop and tell them your problem. First, tell them (especially since you have new rims and very large tires) that you want the tires match mounted to the rims. This involves mounting and re-mounting each tire in different positions on the rim to harmonically allign the high point of the tire with the low point of the rim reducing the amount of Balancing needed. Then have them do a different alloy Wheel balance, something that places a weight on the inside flange in addition to tape weights on the inside.

If they put up a big fuss about the match mounting (wich they will, it's a pain in the ars) put up a bigger fuss. They want your money, if they won't do what you want, go somewhere else and get a refund.

Either way, I'd try this first, i'd save you $$$ before you go and have bearings/etc checked. Good luck

Prayers to all invlolved in our nations tradegy...

Quick Reply: Really Confused