Aftermarket wheels and vibrations

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2015, 11:36 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aftermarket wheels and vibrations

As much as I want 22” wheels with 305/40/22 tires it seems they always tend to have a bit of vibration even after balancing. Is this normal? On my 08 Regular Cab I had Boss 330 wheels and Nitto NT420s tires. A combination I was contemplating putting on my new 14 SCAB. But, even brand new they had a vibration from 60-70MPH. I always thought it was maybe a defective tire or something. Is this actually normal for larger rims/tires?

I really like the nice smooth ride of the stock tires and wheels but they are ugly so I plan to upgrade. But, if there is a threshold of sorts I am crossing that gets me this eternal vibration problem I will do what I can to avoid it. Any advice? Any of you have a 22” wheel / street tire combo that doesn't have this issue?

Old 02-05-2015, 05:22 PM
Bigger wheels are much more sensitive to where weight is placed compared to smaller wheels. To get them 100% balanced, you'd want to find a place that has a RoadForce Balancer. They usually charge anywhere from $60-100 depending on the place.

But doing that is the best way to balance bigger wheels and will get you the smoother ride you're looking for.

Old 02-06-2015, 06:56 AM
My Boss 330's ended up being road force balanced and while I admit it did help it was by no means a cure all. So this is normal. Would say a 20" or even a OEM 22 be less apt to have this issue? I really want the look of the bigger wheel but I don't miss that vibration. If a road force balance every 6 months or so fixed it I could live with that. With my Boss wheels though it was never gone and that got old.

Old 02-06-2015, 09:52 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
No, it's not normal to have vibration issues in aftermarket wheel/tire packages. I've had several and only once had an issue that I could never solve. It was with a set of 35 inch BFG AT KO's on a set of 16 inch wheels. I know it was a defective tire because the previous set of 33 inch BFG's didn't vibrate on the same wheels, the set of aftermarket wheels that I first purchased or the OEM wheels that they were briefly mounted on. I'd also suggest Road Force balancing but I'd also add a set of hub centric rings to the wheels if you don't already have them.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket wheels and vibrations