Grinding noise while driving that gets worse when braking.

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2014, 07:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Grinding noise while driving that gets worse when braking.

Well the title says it all. It comes from the left rear I believe. When I'm driving next to buildings or other cars I can hear grinding coming from my left rear wheel echoing off and coming back to my ears. Then it gets really bad grinding/groaning when I step on the brakes...bad brakes? Insight would be awesome right now.

Old 09-04-2014, 08:11 PM
If pads are not completely worn, I'm thinking wheel hub/bearing.

Old 09-09-2014, 12:45 PM
have you looked at your bakes yet??? that would be the first (very obvious) step.

Old 09-10-2014, 02:22 PM
Ford Customer Service Team
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Screwthat
Well the title says it all. It comes from the left rear I believe. When I'm driving next to buildings or other cars I can hear grinding coming from my left rear wheel echoing off and coming back to my ears. Then it gets really bad grinding/groaning when I step on the brakes...bad brakes? Insight would be awesome right now.
Hey Screwthat,

I'm happy to look into this for you. Which model year F-150 do you own and what's its current mileage?

Nick

Old 09-12-2014, 10:02 PM
Sorry for the late response. I just started a job as a service tech at David McDavid Acura of Plano Texas (for any potential local members that know of the area). Quite a feat for an 18 year old if you ask me :P

Anyways, the problem was most definitely my brakes. The outside pad was definitely low, but was definitely still functional with 2-3mm of friction material left. The inside pad however was toast. No friction material left what so ever. I had driven on it enough that the rotor was no longer a nice smooth surface. Instead it was like gouged out in several places in a nice circular pattern. It probably could have been saved, but I went ahead and replaced the rotors and installed ceramic pads in the rear. Noise is definitely and completely gone.

It blows my mind though that this is the second time the rear pads have been replaced. The front brakes haven't been touched since it came off the factory lot. But their time is coming up being a 2002 year model. Only 82k miles on it though.

Old 10-02-2014, 10:42 AM
Check to see if the pistons in the front calipers are compressing properly and all the way down sounds like the fronts might be seized up al little bit

Quick Reply: Grinding noise while driving that gets worse when braking.