bearing question?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2014, 02:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bearing question?

2001 F150 2WD manual trans, step side short bed, V6.

The truck needs front brake rotors replaced, did when I bought it!

I suspect front bearing replacement also needed. Do wheel bearings come with a new brake rotor assembly? The parts guy said he thought they did.

He asked me if its 2 wheel or 4 wheel ABS?
He said if I bring one in we can figure it out.

Also will the bearings come packed with grease?

Does anyone happen to know what size the axle nut happens to be, I may need to take one home from work.

Thanks

Old 05-07-2014, 03:20 PM
glc
Received 763 Likes on 706 Posts
No, the rotors only come with the bearing races, not the bearings. When you buy bearings, they do not come prepacked.

Old 05-08-2014, 09:04 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Also don't forget to include the seals.

Old 05-08-2014, 10:31 AM
Former Sponsor
I can answer the ABS question if you shoot me your VIN, I can also get you the best prices on OEM parts if you'd like to go that route.

-Steve

Old 05-09-2014, 12:16 PM
Got it done yesterday with my little brothers help.

Replaced both front rotators one caliber and a plugged brake line.

Bearings turned out to be fine, I did go ahead and replace one set just because I had bought them. I would recommend in hind site that a person replace at least the outside bearings because the OEM have plastic and the replacements are all metal.

The caliber on the drivers side was stuck, so I removed it and with the help of my bench vise I was able to get it retracted, but pinched the boot in doing so and didn't want to risk a leak later. So I went and got a new one (this would be the second trip to the parts place). The new all went back together nicely put anti seize on all the bolts.

Go to bleed the line and conclude finally that the line from that caliber to the ABS control is blocked 100%. Even after removal and 150 lbs of air I couldn't get anything thru it. So two calls to find a place with one in stock. (Third trip to parts place, this is the second parts place, 30 mile round trip). Finally line replaced and bleed and test drive complete.

Sure does drive smoother in the front end! And yes I included new pads.

Also, I have several socket sets from different manufacturers, none of my sets had an 18mm socket. I used a wrench to remove the caliber, but picked up an 18mm on my trip out. Might check yours, I was surprised. (you don't need an 18mm for just pads, only if you remove the rotators.)

Thanks for all the help!

Quick Reply: bearing question?