Braking Bad- Literally

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2013, 09:08 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Braking Bad- Literally

Hi. All,

I'm hoping that someone hear can help answer a few questions for me.
Truck: 2007 Rwd Lariat
Issue: changed front pads and rotors Saturday, when taking it for test drive the abs system started acting up, traction control going on and off, as soon as you touch the brakes the peddle chatters like crazy.

After 3-4 minutes of driving the abs/trac control light both come on in dash, once the light come on everything works fine(except no ABS or Trac Control). So I immediately start reading and find that sometimes after doing brakes you can get crud dropping on abs sensor so I decide to pull it and wipe it off. I take the bolt out of the driver side, get in behind the sensor with a flat screwdriver and start to gently pry it. That thing is really wedged in there. Kept working on it till I thought bit was coming loose, turns out I just broke the plastic coller. (not a good day so far I decided to call it a day at this point) Also my PHP Gryphon won't read the error codes to help me figure out which side is throwing the code. So I have a number of questions:

1) Is it true that no OBDII scanners read the codes for the ABS errors?(read this on line) Do I need a specialized tool?
2) Any suggestions as to how to get the Sensor out if I need to take the Passenger one out?
3) I’ve been looking on line to try and find a replacement for the driver side sensor which I cracked, anyone have luck with Aftermarket ones? I’m tempted to go to the dealer and get it but I suspect it’s going to be a fairly pricey part, but don’t want to go the aftermarket route if people have had problems.
4) Lastly, does anyone know which fuse I can pull to disable the entire system until I can get this fixed. Every time I shut the truck off the error resets, and then when I start up again the brakes act funny for 2-3 minutes till it throws on the dash lights.

Thanks in advance
Benny

Old 11-04-2013, 09:29 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 11-04-2013, 09:55 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
ABS used to be a dealer only scanner. The aftermarket is starting to come around, but can be pricey.

I'd bet one of those rotors doesn't have the reluctor ring on it

Quick Reply: Braking Bad- Literally