Quality Black Spline Lug Nuts - Who's got 'em???

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2012, 01:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quality Black Spline Lug Nuts - Who's got 'em???

Who has purchased aftermarket black spline lug nuts that have held up to tire changes/rotations?

I purchased a set of eBay (I know, hold your comments) and within a few months, the "black finish" started flaking off.

I'm wondering if anyone has purchased anodized (typically aluminum) aftermarket spline lug nuts that are holding true to their color. Since the anodizing process goes into the aluminum - any chips/scratches/dings would not show the raw aluminum material (depending on the severity of the damage)

My second thought would be to sand/rough up the lug nuts and apply a few coats of primer – then spray paint. I’m unsure on how long that will withstand any abuse. I currently rotate my tires every 5K along w/ an oil change.

What about powder coating? I’m not sure on the costs involved, but would it be worth it to try?

Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated!

Old 03-04-2012, 04:10 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think that even the best of nuts would fail if exposed to an impact wrench. Whatever you decide to do, (and I'm in favor of P/C option) I think the old fashioned snipe and a ratchet will be your best option to remove them. However, it is also just as important to consider which socket you choose to use. A 12 point socket only contacts the outside edges of the nuts, applying more pressure to a specific point of contact. A perfectly fitting 6 point distributes that force better. Have you been using the proper METRIC socket thus far? Even if you decide to P/C them, I am sure it will ultimately change the appropriate size socket you will need to use. Choose wisely.

Old 03-04-2012, 04:27 PM
canadianelbow, good call on the powder coat thickness. As for using the correct socket, these are tuner (or spline) lugs that require a key. Regardless, the powder coat thickness issue is still applicable.

Old 03-05-2012, 04:43 AM
Pro Comp wheels makes 'em in black. I am using them with no issues so far.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PCW-26104B/

Quick Reply: Quality Black Spline Lug Nuts - Who's got 'em???