305/65/18's without a lift???

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 03:34 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My local shop didn't have any prob getting these tires after putting in an order last week?

On the alignment consideration, ok I'll give you the benefit of the doubt if you have a truck with some miles on it it's prolly a good ideal. But only because the alignment may already be off. Changing wheels/tires technically, should have zero effect on the existing alignment. Or am I missing something here?

Old 05-19-2011, 10:05 AM
Originally Posted by SkiDood
My local shop didn't have any prob getting these tires after putting in an order last week?

On the alignment consideration, ok I'll give you the benefit of the doubt if you have a truck with some miles on it it's prolly a good ideal. But only because the alignment may already be off. Changing wheels/tires technically, should have zero effect on the existing alignment. Or am I missing something here?
You seem to be getting what we were saying now. The point of the alignment is not to fix anything that new tires would be responsible for, but more to just make sure the truck is in alignment.

Old 05-19-2011, 12:02 PM
Originally Posted by GTRider245
Hopefully you would have the alignment done whether or not you had the leveling kit put on. Not to mention you could do the install yourself with basic hand tools in about 2 hours.

I stand by my original opinion. It makes no sense not to go ahead and do the leveling kit now.

I'm not in the country right now, so it makes it a little tough to install the level right now. When I get some "leave" it would be great to just be home and enjoy the truck on my short visit home. The current rebate would more than pay for the leveling kit and the truck has about 2000 miles, so Im not overly worried about the allignment or the few miles I would put on before doing the level and alignment. Which is why I asked "will they fit" not "what order I should do things in", thanks.

Old 05-19-2011, 03:03 PM
Originally Posted by Toddman_29
I'm not in the country right now, so it makes it a little tough to install the level right now. When I get some "leave" it would be great to just be home and enjoy the truck on my short visit home. The current rebate would more than pay for the leveling kit and the truck has about 2000 miles, so Im not overly worried about the allignment or the few miles I would put on before doing the level and alignment. Which is why I asked "will they fit" not "what order I should do things in", thanks.
All of this information in your original post would have helped out a lot...

Old 05-20-2011, 04:51 AM
Whew, hostile in herrre

Old 05-20-2011, 09:02 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just read in that listing that BFG suggests a 8.5 - 11 inch wheel to mount these on. The 18's are only 7.5. I know people do it, but it doesn't make it right.

You looked @ Nitto?

Old 05-20-2011, 10:02 PM
Originally Posted by canadianelbow
I just read in that listing that BFG suggests a 8.5 - 11 inch wheel to mount these on. The 18's are only 7.5. I know people do it, but it doesn't make it right.

You looked @ Nitto?
Here we go with this crap again. Many people here have been mounting 12.5 inch wide tires on 7.5" wide wheels for years. Whether on the newer trucks or the OBS trucks, it never had a negative effect. I guess you think that since the name brand leveling kits say you should run a 33" tire that all of us running 35s are wrong too huh?

Whatever.

Old 05-20-2011, 11:06 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow. A little over sensitive Dude. I just pointed out a fact.

And don't assume you know what I think. My wife plays that game. I don't like it when she does it either.

I'm guessing that tire manufacturers have reasons for making wheel size recommendations. I'm not going to pretend to know why. Maybe you know. Or perhaps you could guess what BFG thinks too.

Old 05-22-2011, 03:05 PM
Originally Posted by canadianelbow
Wow. A little over sensitive Dude. I just pointed out a fact.

And don't assume you know what I think. My wife plays that game. I don't like it when she does it either.

I'm guessing that tire manufacturers have reasons for making wheel size recommendations. I'm not going to pretend to know why. Maybe you know. Or perhaps you could guess what BFG thinks too.
Manufacterers are notorious for putting out conservative recommendations. This way, they can't be liable when they tell everyone a 35" tire will fit with a leveling kit and Johnny's truck rubs for some reason. If they say to run a 33" tire they should always be in the clear.

But frankly, it really doesn't matter. Those of us who know better know what will work and what won't.

Quick Reply: 305/65/18's without a lift???