Emergency brake/parking brake adjustment done...OOPS.

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 10:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Emergency brake/parking brake adjustment done...OOPS.

So, I decided to adjust my parking brake tonight, because I use the parking brake all the time, and I was tired of having one that would hold the truck if it were on a completely level surface, and the transmission was in Park. Also I had a nice heated building I could drive into to work on it.

Driver's side went fine, turned the wheel about 3/4 turn, and put the plug back in.

Passenger side was a little more hassle, the hole is in a poor position to get at it, but such is life. A shorter screwdriver would have helped, I think. Got it adjusted also, about the same amount, and put the plug back ... $#it! I pushed it all the way in!

So, the question is, do I need to take the wheel/rotor off to retrieve the plug, or should I just go to the dealer tomorrow and get a new one, and forget about the one in there?

I can't really imagine it doing any damage to anything, the absolute worst I can picture is it melting and making a bad smell.

Any thoughts?

Oh, and I need to adjust some more, as it still is a bit weak. Rolls a foot before binding up on my driveway, which has a fairly gentle slope.

Old 12-28-2010, 10:19 AM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Slacken the adjustment, take off the wheel, remove the caliper and bracket and pull off the disk. Plug should fall out. Reinstall and try again. While you have it off you can inspect the hardware.

Old 12-28-2010, 12:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JMC
Slacken the adjustment, take off the wheel, remove the caliper and bracket and pull off the disk. Plug should fall out. Reinstall and try again. While you have it off you can inspect the hardware.
Yah, that's what I decided to do last night after posting. Just have to wait a couple of days to have access to that nice heated building again.

The hardware does need some cleaning, it was cranky about adjusting, so a thorough cleaning before adjustment will do it good.

Just being lazy, that's all.

Quick Reply: Emergency brake/parking brake adjustment done...OOPS.