Dont waste your time and money on EBC Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2012, 08:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am the author of this thread. Andy, the owner of EBC has attempted to block this thread and wants to make things right only after I exposed how he treated someone that spent over $1200 on a complete four wheel rotor and pad installation. I posted his actual email he replied sent to me for all to see. I am a professional engineer in my mid 50's and have a above average knowledge of mechanics and automotive, construction, and marine equipment. I do not want anything from EBC to recover my losses and have switched back to OEM rotors and Pads that are working just fine for my not-so-rough driving habits. All I can say to you readers is beware of what EBC claims, its a bunch of bull...

Old 12-09-2012, 03:03 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
i have the ebc slotted and dimpled rotors with the green stuff pads on my 08 and had them on my 04 with braking issues. on the 04 the wheel bearings went out in a few months on the first 2 sets and they were replaced with no questions asked both times.

Old 12-10-2012, 04:07 AM
EBC Brakes picks up pace on quality

Hi Again

Bit surprised to see this one raise its head again but as my first post for a year let me give folks a quick update.

First as a result of this complaint we revisited our rotor casting quality and made some changes plus built and installed a rotor runout machine at all locations to 100% check castings after machining, on our website is a photo of that machine. One operator alone in Los Angeles reported a run of 7045 rotors without ONE rotor being outside our runout tolerances using our new methods.

We have also made numerous changes to all pad compounds to improve compressibility and noise dampening, just summer 2012 a new ingredient being "Latex coated aramid fibers" came on the market, we tested it and adopted it in all pads and this helps against noise and improves brake feel.

There still however remains a concrete fact that one in seven vehicles has or develops during its life chassis alignment issues, Lexus even offer a "Winter pothole check" to have people submit their vehicle for a check after the winter when road deterioration causes this mis alignment.

Pro Cut as a Company are annually on our SEMA show booth and have sold over 125,000 of these machines costing over $10,000 all over the world. This is the only machine to solve this problem.

Sales of EBC products grow strongly reach year, we get 5-7 warranties a month and fix everyone, in only TWO cases (this being one of them) did the driver not feel totally satisfied with how we resolved his problems.

In the brake business you get two permanent issues to resolve

1) Brake noise happens and in some cases no matter what you do it cannot be eliminated
2) Chassis geometry sometimes goes out and the Pro Cut is the only way to fix it.

I live with these two industry/product problems every day of my life and SO DOES EVERY OTHER BRAKE MANUFACTURER

Merry Christmas to all

Old 12-20-2012, 09:08 AM
This type of replacement rotor is just a stock blank with a pretty CNC design but out of it. Why would it be much different that stock? Especially when they dont even make them all viened for cooling. If the OEM is pillar style then so is the EBC. If I want to improve braking I buy Brembo, Willwood, AP Racing, Stoptech. If I want a stock rotor with a pretty lines cut into I I spend $150 on Rotor Pros...

Old 12-24-2012, 04:09 AM
Every sport rotor is a stock blank but what does stock mean and where else do you think these come from.???

There ARE several ways of making blanks, we do all we can to make sure ours are good quality and we 100% inspect them now for runout, all are 100% balance tested and batch test for metallurgy.

We also make many rotors now in high Carbon material, NOT yet for trucks as frankly they dont need them.

This is a dissappointing thread, basically, we had a problem, did our best to fix it but the customer was not satisfied.

In 2012 we sold well over 100,000 rotors globally and ten times that number of automotive pads. We had maybe 25 warranties all year and fixed all but two of them.

I dont feel we need to change a lot except keep responding tio customers and improving engineering.

Over 2011 and 2012 we changed the Green truck pad compound three times using new to market ingredients to reduce heat spotting, the yellowstuff remains unchanged and for 2013 we launch in March our new EXTRA DUTY pad range for trucks.

On rotors all we have done is improve balance and runout testing and done more regular metallurgy tests.

Its one thing to keep droning on about a problem from two years ago on a product we no longer even make, its another to manufacture hundreds of thousands of parts, keep doing all you can to improve , listening and learning, providing hundreds of jobs in the USA and UK as we do,paying lots of taxes to the Fed and playing the game to the best of our ability.

I dont what else anyone would expect of a Company.

I do wish all customers a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

Onwards and Upwards

Andy Freeman

Old 12-24-2012, 02:29 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have ebc pads in all my cars and they work great.

Old 12-24-2012, 05:55 PM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Andy Freeman

I do wish all customers a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

Onwards and Upwards

Andy Freeman
Hi Andy,

With regards to the customer service aspect, one thing has changed (a couple of years ago now IIRR), and I must admit I am "old school", but EBC will no longer release the CE specs of the linings.....I like many others, will just not purchase an aftermarket product that the performance spec cannot be seen in published docs.....and to rely on PR materials that say "Increased braking over stock", well, that is just a big warning to myself saying stay away from this product line because i cannot properly evaluate the performance to what I currently have and address/verify this will meet my requirements....and quite frankly, your competitors including carbo, FX, even wellman publish and make available all of this info.

Just a suggestion

Old 12-28-2012, 09:21 PM
used ebc pads with my brake performance drilled and slotted rotors. they worked great for the first ten thousand miles. the rotors were shot! bp said the ceramic pads over heated the rotors and voided my warranty. ordered all new rotors and they threw in a set of recommended semi metallic pads.

Old 12-31-2012, 04:20 AM
Originally Posted by beechkid
Hi Andy,

With regards to the customer service aspect, one thing has changed (a couple of years ago now IIRR), and I must admit I am "old school", but EBC will no longer release the CE specs of the linings.....I like many others, will just not purchase an aftermarket product that the performance spec cannot be seen in published docs.....and to rely on PR materials that say "Increased braking over stock", well, that is just a big warning to myself saying stay away from this product line because i cannot properly evaluate the performance to what I currently have and address/verify this will meet my requirements....and quite frankly, your competitors including carbo, FX, even wellman publish and make available all of this info.

Just a suggestion
Hi Beech.

Sometimes these specs can be lengthy and technical and also we do not have access to other peoples specs to compare. When we say IMPROVED BRAKING it is that the simple FMVSS grading system of letters shows us that our friction levels are normally ONE FULL GRADE higher than most OEM pads.

Many US car OEM pads are EE graded and ours are minimum FF and sometimes GF graded so the friction is higher.

There have also been numerous independent tests done by even consumers on stopping distances and we always come out well. These sit on you tube.

The issue of pads overheating or BLUE SPOTTING rotors was rectified long ago with material adjustments but of course there is some old stock around. If anyone has an issue with our products, old or new all they have to do is e mail us at warranty@ebcbrakes.com and you might be pleasantly surprised, we are here for the long haul not some flash in the pan Company.

In the brake business a success rate for a more high end brake product is in the 90's percentile, the rest we work on.

In 2012 we did lots of good things

1. Removed toxic sulphides from all our pads - a WORLD first.
2. Started removal of all other heavy metals that US law will require in a few years
3. Spent over a $million introducing the NUCAP NRS hooked plate system for stronger bonding
4. Invested $13 million in a new headquarters in the UK including a new QC testing department for even higher quality controls.
5. Launched FOUR new materials with an other one for trucks to launch March 2013 called EXTRA DUTY
6. Introduced a 100% runout testing system for rotors at our USA plant
7. Installed FOUR new rotor machining lines in our USA facility

EBC is a very progressive Company and moving forward nicely

Happy New Year to all

Old 01-24-2013, 07:25 PM
OP is a cry baby. Plain and simple. I have the slotted and dimpled rotors on my truck with yellow stuff pads and they work like a champ. I upgraded to these to improve performance at the track and they did just what I hoped they would. No problem slowing this nearly 3 ton rig down from triple digits time and time again.

Old 01-24-2013, 09:40 PM
Ebc ftw

Old 01-24-2013, 09:46 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I think there's enough guys like us floating around here that don't spend a single second or a single brain cell thinking a company is total junk because one dude had a bad experience and jumped on the Internet to flame on. I got suckered into (and currently running) the Wagner ThermoQuiets due to all the hype on here...they are inferior to the EBC 7000 GreenStuff in every category and I will be returning to them next time I need brakes.

Oh, and on another note...I've dealt directly with Andy off line about another subject that I don't think I'm at liberty to discuss and can tell you the customer service is bar none and he's a class act chap!

Last edited by Galaxy; 01-24-2013 at 09:49 PM.
Old 12-01-2014, 04:22 PM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I think there's enough guys like us floating around here that don't spend a single second or a single brain cell thinking a company is total junk because one dude had a bad experience

I think that is a good thing...but, with the numerous postings like this out there it should make anyone stand up and take notice about this issue and EBC's response "EBC Brakes picks up pace on quality"....

The first of which is....if EBC was so on top of QA, when a "single" event occurred, why was there a broad search and cost induced response to such a one time issue? More importantly, this was not just a one time occurance and then the question comes.....why did EBC take a "response" engagement versus the #1) Prevention or mitigation effort which is suppose to occur before "response".....

The standards by which brake components are inspected prior to shipment is been in existence for 20+ years and the QA standards...well known.

By SAE standards, 1% failure rate is unacceptable in US production standards (this is also ISO, Sigma, TQM, TPM, I could go on).....the US standard is 1% internal (not external ie customer), Chinese standard for example is 15% failure rate (internal). This does not nor should be implied to say that this should mean there should be no failure at the customer level, that is just not realistic as everyone would agree. But let's assume that EBC's 1% failure rate in the marketplace is acceptable, by comparison this would mean every day 100,000 prescriptions would be incorrectly delivered to customers (statistics provided by FDA & Harvard).......would this be acceptable to anyone- of course not. Per both GM & Ford, if each production run of any single vehicle series was built 99% to standard (ie 1% failure rate @ market/consumer deliverable), no less than each vehicle would have on average 15 defect's (published data available). Now before anyone says it, I will- yeah, we all know of certain vehicles that everyone considered "lemons" and everyone has known more than one person who bought one of these that had at least 15 defects of more. In summary, consumer's simply do not accept 1% failure rate in any significance of large scale consumer population.

Therefor, if correctly stated by EBC as such, this validates, their production quality risk management practices at the time were shifted from manufacturing internal controls onto the consumer.

Good for profits on the short term, bad for long term branding and consumer confidence

Old 12-08-2014, 05:17 PM
It has been over four years since I started this thread. As you can see above my dealing with EBC (including the email response to the problem from the owner of EBC) was less than stellar when it comes to folks like you and me spending $$$$ for simple automotive brake elements. The fancy advertising (even EBC hay bales at the Supercross) hooked me in. I bought the Greenstuff pads because they were the greatest thing of all time, then told by the Owner of EBC no use the Yellowstuff in the front after the rotors were warped and blued, then turned by Pep Boys as I as told to do. I still own the 2008 F150 and it now has well over 150k miles running on the OEM pads and rotors, still tows my 23 ft trailer and 23 ft Malibu boat. Enough said; Give me a brake, literally.. EBC is still overpriced junk. If you want real brake systems, try Brembo ....

Quick Reply: Dont waste your time and money on EBC Brakes