Rear drum locking up - 98'

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 05:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear drum locking up - 98'

Hey all,

I've been dealing with this issue for years now and luckily I barely drive my truck but it's finally getting to the point where I can't trust it in the winter anymore.

Problem: The passenger side rear drum brake is seizing up while driving. It will start kind of stiff and I can hear it rubbing. Once I've been driving for 5mins, the heat causes the rubbing to get worse and the car will shudder from the extra friction. It locks up as soon as I touch the brakes and kicks in the ABS and boom, I loose braking power.

History: The parking brake cable was replaced when I got the truck because it was sticking. I avoided using the E-Brake after having it replaced because it would still stick once in a while. I live in Toronto with a ton of salt on the road, no surprise there. My father moved the truck one day and set the E-Brake after not having used it for 2-3 weeks and sure enough it locked up the next day when I went to use it and my brakes overheated and smoked a little. I replaced the drums, cylinders and shoes but the problem came back a few months later.

Recently, I replaced the shoes and drums and cleaned everything inside. I made sure the brakes were adjusted nicely and it was fine for a day but now the problem is back full force.

I'm stuck as to what the actual issue is as I'm surprised the brakes would be able to overtighten themselves. The adjuster paddle even has a notch in it from the adjuster teeth forcing themselves back when the car jerks while the brake is locked up so it feels like they should back off easily.

Help me Obi-Wan Kenobi!

Old 09-09-2010, 01:15 PM
I have the exact same problem, I have replied on a few other threads about this issue but no one has answered, This problem seems to be popular enough, I cant figure why there isnt much talk about it.

Old 09-09-2010, 02:07 PM
Have ya replaced the wheel cylinder also? Is the parking brake cable installed properly? Are the brakes adjusted properly?

Old 09-10-2010, 02:02 AM
i have a 98 and i have a similar problem. my rear drums are locking up. I have had multiple brake jobs but all they have done is replace parts such as rotors and pads or drums and shoes but i don't think that they have solved the problem. my last brake job was a bit of a successful one though. they started out by replacing those basic parts but they took the whole brake system apart and looked at every little part. they came back to me and said that they have found the problem but that no one made the parts they needed to fix it so they had to fabricate parts with liquid metal. it sounded crazy but after it was done i noticed a big difference inthe brakes. i thought they were fixed for good but i guess the liquid metal didn't hold up or something. i don't want to take it back in so if ANYONE knows what could possibly be going on then please help me.

HELP HELP HELP HELP
thanks

Old 09-10-2010, 02:30 AM
I had the same problem, replaced the wheel cylinder and the problem went away. You can always try that, its a pretty cheap part to replace.

Old 09-10-2010, 02:39 AM
is it doable at home or would i have to take it to a shop?

Old 09-10-2010, 03:00 AM
very doable at home. it took about two hours for both, and that included bleeding the lines.

Quick Reply: Rear drum locking up - 98'