Tire size question

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2010, 02:10 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Tire size question

I love the look of my 33X12.5/17 's all terrains. The ones I have now have an aggressive off road pattern and very noisy going down the road. About ready to buy new tires, I want the same look but with more of an on road tread to cut down on the noise. Any Ideas? Pics?

Old 08-20-2010, 09:45 AM
I posted this yesterday in response to someone else's question, but it is still valid:

Taken from the Tire Rack web page - "The LTX M/S is Michelin’s Highway All-Season light truck tire developed for vans, pickups and sport utility vehicles, as well as commercial light truck applications to combine long tread life with all-season capabilities. The LTX M/S is designed to deliver a smooth, quiet ride along with traction in dry, wet and wintry conditions, including in light snow.

The LTX M/S features a long wearing, all-season tread compound molded into a symmetric design featuring Michelin’s MaxTouch Construction to produce a contact patch shape that promotes good wear by evenly distributing acceleration, braking, and cornering forces. A symmetric tread design featuring offset circumferential grooves, independent tread blocks and high-density siping delivers grip in almost any kind of weather..."

I put that tire (in a 17" size) on my 2002 F-150 and was very pleased with it. There is now a LTX M/S2 available that is rated even better. A 315-65-17 would be very close to the size you have now. Granted, you don't need the "all season" part, but it gives you good wet traction and a slightly agressive looking tread pattern that will soften the blow of parting ways with your all terrain tires.

Last edited by 06 So Comfort; 08-20-2010 at 09:51 AM.
Old 08-20-2010, 12:03 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The Nitto Terra Grappler and Toyo AT are pretty quiet. What tire do you have now?

Old 08-20-2010, 12:32 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Depending on what tire you have now. The Nitto Trail Grapples are a pretty damn good looking, aggressive tire with not too much noise.

Old 08-23-2010, 02:32 PM
The truck came with PRO COMP ALL TERRAINS. I have Cooper ZEONS on my girls Dodge but I want to see what other options there are.

Old 08-23-2010, 10:35 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The Cooper Zeons would be a good choice. I've read mixed reviews on the original Pro Comp AT's but the new Xtreme AT's get great reviews. If you want quiet, I'd suggest looking at the Toyo's, Nitto's and Coopers. Also keep this in mind. If your AT's are "cupped out" they can get really loud. There used to be an older F-150 in my neighborhood that sounded like it was running on Super Swamper Boggers. You could here it coming a mile down the road. But to my surprise he had a set of cheap AT tires that were cupped out badly.

Old 08-24-2010, 02:59 AM
Yeah I just bought the truck and the tires are worn pretty good. Needs brakes, tires, the door locks make an attempt to open and close but not enough push. And autolamp is blowing the fuse.

Quick Reply: Tire size question