20" Roush rims.. basically buying cheap and will deal with them

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 02:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
20" Roush rims.. basically buying cheap and will deal with them

So I have been searching for awhile for tires and rims… well mostly tires, but wanting to upgrade rims at the same time. Now inspection is due in two weeks and I feel I may be settling for what I found, but also think it may be a decent deal too and I can make it work.

I found 20” Roush chrome clad that need TLC. The tires are Pirelli Scorpion ATR and I can get at least a year or better out of them. The set of 4 with lugs is $300.00.

Now my question is.. how expensive is it to re-chrome wheels.. or am I better off powder coating them? Or take my 18” FX4 with dead tires and take the 20” roush and sell them off and buy myself decent 20’s and put the Pirellis on them.

I do not want to spend hundreds and hundreds. I could have bought new tires for my fx4’s for 700 installed, but thought I might get a better deal if I bought used.

What would you do.. without spending another $500 on them.

Here is a photo of the rims and tread:

Old 07-12-2010, 02:32 PM
I'd get them blasted and pc'ed all black..

Old 07-12-2010, 02:36 PM
That might look good.. or a dark shadow grey... here is my truck.

Old 07-12-2010, 04:32 PM
Yup, those look just like mine. Same condition., actually I think a couple of mine are worse.
The quality of chroming on the Roush wheels just plain sucks. Both Roush and Ford should be ashamed of themselves for having their name connected with them.
I to was wondering what it might cost to have them powder coated black.

Old 07-12-2010, 04:37 PM
I have been reading decent reviews on the Dupli-color paint.. if I can find someone to blast the chrome off these wheels.. I might try the dupli-color process.

Old 07-12-2010, 05:32 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
dont go black do it diffrent and get DSG!!!

Old 07-12-2010, 10:17 PM
I would get new tires for the stock rims. Way safer bet than getting those rims which might be bent out of shape and paying to have the tires taken, the rims PC'd then the tires put back on...

Meh - too much hassle for me.

Old 07-12-2010, 10:39 PM
Mine look exactly like that and it makes me sick to look at them. It is really sad because they do look really nice. I have been tossing around the idea of p/cing them black and leave the chrome ring once I get a set of wheels to run while I do the work.

Old 07-12-2010, 11:11 PM
Originally Posted by pedrotothemax
I would get new tires for the stock rims. Way safer bet than getting those rims which might be bent out of shape and paying to have the tires taken, the rims PC'd then the tires put back on...

Meh - too much hassle for me.
I gotta agree.. spend the money on NEW tires, problem solved. Your getting yourself into a headache imo.

also i agree ford chrome wheels are junk!

Old 07-12-2010, 11:12 PM
You did good dude! I did something similar about 8 years ago on a used set of 20" KMC Venoms (wheels and tires for $900 and keep in mind this is when 20" wheels were a really big deal). Well basically the wheels were so filthy, so stained looking, that the owner was actually happy to get them off his truck. He thought they were done, but truth is he just didn't take car of them.

Well the I cleaned the dog out of them with wheel cleaner and a very mild degreaser and warm or hot water on the cool wheel, melts the built up right off. Then I polished them repeatedly with Turtle Wax chrome cleaner (about $2 at wal mart). This stuff works great, its polishes and removes rust. You just apply a thin layer and let it dry, then buff off. Polishes and removes rust little by little. I did this about 5 times in a row over the course of a couple of days, then every was thereafter. Lets just say the next time I saw the guy who sold them to me his jaw dropped! I was able to restore them to about 85-90% and you couldn't notice any defects unless you were really up close, too close.

My advice is save your money and just spend some time cleaning and polishing those bad boys and I think you'll be more than satisfied!!!

Last edited by Bluejay; 07-15-2010 at 10:06 AM. Reason: Do not circumvent the language filter
Old 07-12-2010, 11:30 PM
mine look pretty bad too, so if anyone knows how much it cost to rechrome them that would be great

Old 07-14-2010, 09:39 PM
Got the Roush 20's

At first glance I thought clean the SNOT out of them. You got a deal for four wheels that can be cleaned up with decent tires for $300. Then I saw the next pic. with the cracking. thats on the surface where you can see it. If your looking for decent tread that will get you through inspection and maybe a year after that for short money. you got it . if you start getting into refinishing them, re balancing them. If they will balance. you could be in for a world of hurt. I've got a set + 1, all look great on the outside. one has a whole lot of pitting on the inside. I thought about pc ing them on the inside . silver or black. Then thoughts of all black pc with all terrrains for the winter came into mind. my thoughts now. As said by someone else " Buy what you need " Good luck.

Old 07-15-2010, 09:59 AM
Well I bought them.. the tread is good and should last me another 25k or better. The rims are straight and true, just messy looking. Some of the flaking is around the center and the lip.. so what I may do is isolate those areas and sand, scuff, tape off and paint the centers. Maybe do black around the center and leave the lugs chrome. The 6 spokes I will leave chrome because they seem decent, and paint the inner lip. For 300.00 they will do just fine for me.

So I have not decided to sell my FX4 18’s yet or keep them around and if I come across decent tires mount them for a better winter tire.. or possible future truck sale.

Old 07-16-2010, 10:11 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
good choice! those roushs do have a future i wouldnt part from havin them in for ideas!!

Quick Reply: 20" Roush rims.. basically buying cheap and will deal with them