Painting Brake Calipers Tutorial?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2010, 08:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Painting Brake Calipers Tutorial?

Hi Guys and Gals! I'm new here and .. YEAH!

I have owned my truck for a year or so now and I want to find a tutorial on painting brake calipers for the 99 F150. Can't find anything else online, so it basically forced me to join this forum. Maybe it will be fun here though.. Never done this sort of forum thing before.. mostly facebook lol

Help is appreciated

Old 06-30-2010, 10:21 PM
Old 06-30-2010, 11:26 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Welcome to the site. Check out the rest on the threads in our How To section.

https://www.f150online.com/forums/ar...-articles.html

Old 07-01-2010, 07:40 AM
Technical Article Contributor

You can do the spray method but you have to take parts off vehicle and cover overspray areas.

I used Duplicolor brush on paint kit. You can get it at your local autoparts, walmart, fred meyer etc. Its a brush on method that includes brake cleaner, paint, brush etc. Everything you need.

I have pictures in my gallery from mine. Basically you will need an afternoon, a floor jack and jack stands work great. I cleaned mine with a wire brush attachment on my drill to remove all the rust, then brake cleaner, then 3 coats of paint letting each one dry for 30 minutes between coats. Still looks brand new almost a year later. Really easy to do if you have a jack and stands.

Pictures in my gallery, just click on my username and go to "public profile"

Old 07-02-2010, 12:18 AM
God, you guys got me painting my calipers now.... I've got the front painted and letting it dry good over night. Shoot it again in the morning and reassemble the caliper and possibly move on to the back tomorrow. Idk though I'd hate to get right into the middle of it and have to leave to go to work. I think what I might do is just wait till monday to do the rear because I want to clean the insides of my rims to give it that extra blang bling!

Old 07-02-2010, 05:45 AM
I can't help you at all with painting calipers. I have never felt the need to do that. But your in for hassles when/if the day comes where you must replace a caliper. Now you'll want/need to replace it with a matching assembly. There's a guy here (sorry can't think of his name) who had a heck of a time finding the OEM replacement for a fair price so he could keep a visually matched set of calipers on this truck.

Ya, with some wheels, it just might make sense to spiff the old calipers up. But I'd be thinking twice about it due to the hassles of down the road repairs.

Quick Reply: Painting Brake Calipers Tutorial?