New pads & rotors also a new squeak

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 06:02 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New pads & rotors also a new squeak

Hey all. I replaced rotors and pads last week and I went with ceramic pads this time around (I just replaced the front for now). However, after the change there is a slight squeak coming from the drivers front wheel. It's not a constant noise it's like there is 1 small spot rubbing and it only does it when that spot comes around. However, when I first start off from the truck sitting for a few minutes there is no noise. When I have to use full brake pressure the sound starts when I start rolling again and goes away when I apply the brakes again. Any idea what would be causing this? I'm doing the rear brakes this week and would like to tear the wheel off the front but I don't know what I'm looking for. Thanks for any help.

Old 10-07-2010, 03:19 PM
I have had the same problem for about a month now (maybe longer). I took it to our mechanic and he took the wheel off and inspected everything and all he said was that it needed to be washed. I washed it, it stopped for a day, and the very next day came back. He said that the rotors, pads and everything else looked fine. My husband also did the same thing, twice, and said the exact same thing. It does it more on the driver side. Doesn't start til I drive it for a little while. It's louder between take-off and up to 20mph. He also tried some PB Blaster and it doesn't help either. When he jacked it up, he manually turned the driver side wheel and it didn't do then (not sure if it's because you can't manually turn it fast enough to get it going). We have absolutely no idea what it could be. It's driving me crazy and I wish we could figure out what it is without spending another dime just taking it to someone just to tell me there's nothing wrong with it. So if someone has any insight please help us!!! Thank you!!!

Old 10-07-2010, 04:13 PM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
It can a number of items but during operational periods of light braking, brake dust can build up in a tiny ball becoming trapped inbetween the pad and the rotor...causing the squeel. Some types of lining are much more prone to this than others....as the pads' /rotors break in (bed in), this should reduce and go away...if it doesn't, then you need to install stainless steel brake shims that are about 30% thicker then the oem units. most of the time, you have to make them but there is a company out there who is mfg these now...don't knoe the name. That will solve the problem in most cases.

Old 10-07-2010, 07:07 PM
Former Sponsor
Sometimes just the slightest amount of dirt during installation can cause this or even a small piece of rust my get in there when putting the caliper back on. I would take it apart and inspect it. Did you use the grease provided on the backing plate of the pad? I have done it both ways (with or without the grease) and most of the time the sqeeking is due to lack of that grease on the backing plate. Just make sure its all snug when you put it all back together and see if that does the trick.

Quick Reply: New pads & rotors also a new squeak