Another "Stick Out" Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 04:01 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 08FX4
I understand all that and I know that rim width is measured from bead seat to bead seat.
Clearly you don't

However if you're only given offset and rim width you still have to add 1" to the rim width to calculate the backspacing.
It is an inconsistent measurement, some rims have bigger lips ad others smaller ones. That automatically removes it from the calculation because it is not a constant factor. Rim width is measured at the bead because it is a constant across all rims and is where the manufacturers measure their rims for width.

When comparing offset between two different wheels ad figuring out which one will stick out more it doesn’t matter where you measure from (inside or outside the lip) as long as you measure both rims the same way. The solution is in the difference in the two rim widths. Where they are measured from is irrelevant, the difference between the rim diameters/offset will be the same.

Lastly backspacing is a Stone Age way of measuring. It has too many variables. Offset is the only 100% accurate way of calculating where a wheel will sit in relation to the hub or in comparison to another rim. Offset is calculated off of the center of the rim (which will be in the same spot no matter where you measure the wheel diameter from). Measuring for offset eliminates a lot of variables that backspacing can’t.

And one more thing, if you want your argument taken seriously check your temper/ego at the door ad use math to prove your point. Math removes the variable that is human desire and agenda and eliminates opinion and replaces it with fact.

If you can’t show your work your theory is nothing but speculation.

Good luck

This information you posted above is still incorrect and misleading info:
Says the guy with horrible grammar, incorrect punctuation and lots of statements unsupported with facts. Forgive me for not trying to be more like you.

“One is only capable of understanding something as complex as ones self”

A monkey can’t comprehend the complexity that a human can and never will. It does not have the intelligence to understand something more complex than itself. This also takes place in species.

Try reading and understanding my post before constructing a reply. So far you have clearly not bee reading what I wrote……..or you don’t understand.

I've wasted enough time here. Clearly you are not willing to look at situations from more complex and different angles even if that may mean you improve your unerstanding of some situations.

Here's to you having an epiphany someday soon.

Old 04-27-2010, 07:27 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by sqidd
Clearly you don't
Clearly I do.

It is an inconsistent measurement, some rims have bigger lips ad others smaller ones. That automatically removes it from the calculation because it is not a constant factor. Rim width is measured at the bead because it is a constant across all rims and is where the manufacturers measure their rims for width.
Here we go with the rim lip ordeal again. I said that you can add 1" to the rim width (bead seat to bead seat) and figure backspacing from there. Since this doesn't work explain why I can take any given auto wheel manufacturers rim width/offset and come up with the exact backspacing they have listed? I never said it was the right way to do it. I said that's how you do it.

When comparing offset between two different wheels ad figuring out which one will stick out more it doesn’t matter where you measure from (inside or outside the lip) as long as you measure both rims the same way. The solution is in the difference in the two rim widths. Where they are measured from is irrelevant, the difference between the rim diameters/offset will be the same.
That's true. However the math you done earlier doesn't work.

Lastly backspacing is a Stone Age way of measuring. It has too many variables. Offset is the only 100% accurate way of calculating where a wheel will sit in relation to the hub or in comparison to another rim. Offset is calculated off of the center of the rim (which will be in the same spot no matter where you measure the wheel diameter from). Measuring for offset eliminates a lot of variables that backspacing can’t.
I agree fully.

And one more thing, if you want your argument taken seriously check your temper/ego at the door ad use math to prove your point. Math removes the variable that is human desire and agenda and eliminates opinion and replaces it with fact.
I don't have any temperament or ego issues.

If you can’t show your work your theory is nothing but speculation.
Let's look at the steps required to compare the difference between a 17x7.5 with a +44mm offset and a 20x9 with a +18mm offset. One thing to remember here is since we are going to use offset for this calculation and not backspacing we have to work off the centerline of the wheel.

(1) Find the center of the 7.5" wheel: 7.5/2 = 3.75" = 95.25mm
(2) Subtract the offset since it's positive: 95.25mm - 44mm = 51.25mm from where the hub meets the wheel to the bead seat.
(3) Find the center of the 9" wheel: 9/2 = 4.5" = 114.3mm
(4) Subtract the offset since it's positive: 114.3mm - 18mm = 96.3mm from where the hub meets the wheel to the bead seat.
(5) Subtract step #2 from step #4 and you have your answer: 96.3mm - 51.25mm = 45.05mm = 1.77"

Try reading and understanding my post before constructing a reply. So far you have clearly not bee reading what I wrote……..or you don’t understand.
I fully understand and I completely read everything before I post.

I've wasted enough time here. Clearly you are not willing to look at situations from more complex and different angles even if that may mean you improve your unerstanding of some situations.
In my opinion (and apparently in the opinion of others that have posted in this thread) you are the one that needs a little more understanding on this topic regardless of what you've done in the past.

Says the guy with horrible grammar, incorrect punctuation and lots of statements unsupported with facts. Forgive me for not trying to be more like you.
Last I checked this isn't an English class and I didn't sign up for one.

And while we're on the topic of grammatical errors please see the above quotes.

Obviously you know you're right and I know I'm right so lets leave it at that.

Last edited by 08FX4; 04-27-2010 at 10:24 PM.

Quick Reply: Another "Stick Out" Question