Final Tire Rack review

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2010, 08:11 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Definately know about breaking pads in correctly. I definately let the pads mate to the rotors. I'm back to OEM pads and rotors and they are perfect.

Old 04-26-2010, 07:31 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by migdaddy
.........the customer service is horrible, and I don't recommend buying from this company at all. TRASH.
Easy Mike. I think our customer service team has been more than accommodating here in crediting you two sets of rotors in 6 months.

In seven years here I have never seen a customer cook 2 sets of rotors, any rotors, for any reason other than mechanical issues with the brakes or abuse. I have also sold dozens of sets of Powerslot to F-Series owners of all variants and they have solved heat related issues, not created them. I don't blame our technical dept. for wanting to look at them, would you?

Your second cooked pair is due in for inspection tomorrow. We're trying very hard to satisfy you, and really want to.

Last edited by Damon@tirerack; 04-26-2010 at 07:41 PM.
Old 04-26-2010, 09:07 PM
Cool

I don't drive or brake hard, so these rotors warping leads me to believe they are just not quality.
If that's the case, why even bother with slotted rotors then?

Old 04-27-2010, 02:30 AM
Originally Posted by Damon@tirerack
Easy Mike. I think our customer service team has been more than accommodating here in crediting you two sets of rotors in 6 months.

In seven years here I have never seen a customer cook 2 sets of rotors, any rotors, for any reason other than mechanical issues with the brakes or abuse. I have also sold dozens of sets of Powerslot to F-Series owners of all variants and they have solved heat related issues, not created them. I don't blame our technical dept. for wanting to look at them, would you?

Your second cooked pair is due in for inspection tomorrow. We're trying very hard to satisfy you, and really want to.
I definately hear you on that. Its just frustrating on my part about the whole situation. But hey, as long as i get my credit, everything is gravy. Like i said, Im suprised this all happened too. I thought the 1st set was just a fluke, and then the second pair happens? Also, the rears being warped more than the front? I never towed on those rotors and pads, and even had my mechanic remove everything and re install it all, just to make sure everything was correct, before we thought they were warped.

Old 04-27-2010, 04:59 AM
i wanna see how this thread turns out

Old 04-27-2010, 09:25 AM
Originally Posted by Lorne
If that's the case, why even bother with slotted rotors then?
He has lots of added rotating mass with those 20" wheels. Not to mention that if he has 20" wheels he's probably concerned with product appearance. Besides, I always buy products that are built to take much more abuse than I'm going to give them, based on the assumption that this will result in fewer problems.

Frankly, I'm very surprised he's having a better experience after going back to stock rotors. That'll probably change the first time he has to turn them, though.

Old 04-27-2010, 02:04 PM
Originally Posted by ucfperspicere
He has lots of added rotating mass with those 20" wheels. Not to mention that if he has 20" wheels he's probably concerned with product appearance. Besides, I always buy products that are built to take much more abuse than I'm going to give them, based on the assumption that this will result in fewer problems.

Frankly, I'm very surprised he's having a better experience after going back to stock rotors. That'll probably change the first time he has to turn them, though.
Appearance was one thing, but i would much rather have better braking performance then better looking rotors. Ive done a hell of a lot of research and talked to many guys who specifically deal with brakes, and ive come to the conclusion that by just changing to a rotor with slots is gonna be minuscule difference. Without changing the rotor size to a bigger size, or paying 3k for a big brake kit, ive been told by numerous guys that difference is so small. Im just happy to have my truck stopping like it should. Motorcraft rotors and pads are quality, which is what i would much rather have over appearance. Dont get me wrong though, I would love to try out SBCC, Baer, or even Brembo if I have to get new rotors and pads again on a different truck.

Old 04-27-2010, 02:18 PM
Appearance was one thing, but i would much rather have better braking performance then better looking rotors. Ive done a hell of a lot of research and talked to many guys who specifically deal with brakes, and ive come to the conclusion that by just changing to a rotor with slots is gonna be minuscule difference. Without changing the rotor size to a bigger size, or paying 3k for a big brake kit, ive been told by numerous guys that difference is so small. Im just happy to have my truck stopping like it should. Motorcraft rotors and pads are quality, which is what i would much rather have over appearance. Dont get me wrong though, I would love to try out SBCC, Baer, or even Brembo if I have to get new rotors and pads again on a different truck.
No offense mig, but as far as I'm concerned motorcraft pads and rotors are junk! Especially the pads. After 20,000 miles my front rotors were warped and the pads were gone. I've had motorcraft pads on other vehicles before and they wear out VERY quickly. As far as the rotors are concerned, I had not experienced anything before like I did with this truck, but I'm not taking any chances and am going to stay away from motorcraft rotors, at least on the front of the truck.

Old 04-27-2010, 02:43 PM
Originally Posted by mitch150
No offense mig, but as far as I'm concerned motorcraft pads and rotors are junk! Especially the pads. After 20,000 miles my front rotors were warped and the pads were gone. I've had motorcraft pads on other vehicles before and they wear out VERY quickly. As far as the rotors are concerned, I had not experienced anything before like I did with this truck, but I'm not taking any chances and am going to stay away from motorcraft rotors, at least on the front of the truck.
Thats how i felt with the Powerslot. Nothing i can do now. The pads and rotors have a warranty if something is to go wrong.

Last edited by migdaddy; 04-28-2010 at 02:36 AM.
Old 04-27-2010, 05:06 PM
I had Powerslots on my Trans Am a few years back. I put 60,000 HARD miles on them without an issue. Perhaps they have changed manufacturing processes since then. That sucks you have had such problem with yours. It can be frustrating.

However, i will say i have bought my last two sets of tires from Tirerack, and had no issues.

Old 04-27-2010, 05:19 PM
Damon- I mean this with the up-most respect- To say that your company has great customer service is a little bias because you work for them. Coming from a customer i can honestly say ive had better. It took over a month to have everything settled, with week periods of receiving no phone calls back or emails. I fully understand that you guys are busy and cant focus on 1 customer, but I felt it could have been handled much better. Best way to put it is lack of communication. Sucks to say, but I dont think I will ever order from Tire Rack again. I went through a period of speaking to 3 different customer service reps who had no idea what my issues were. On a positive note. I did get a call back today notifying me that everything was inspected, and that were hot spots on the rotors, obviously. I was told it had nothing to do with my driving, but was really just a manufacturers defect, which I knew all along. The refund was issued, just waiting on the 3rd one to come through. They did stand by their word on giving me my money back, so I have to give them a thumbs up for that. Im not going to blame Tire rack for the issues with the rotors. Its just a lesson learned when buying anything online really. So as soon as I get my 3rd and final refund issued, this will be all over. This whole thread is just meant to show everyone what CAN happen when buying brake components online. If you have ANY issues, it is far more of a PITA to deal with, rather than having a local shop install everything. If you have any issues, you can go directly to them,. without having to deal with emails and phone calls and not getting back to you for a week. Realistically this could have happened with any online vendor, it just had to be Tire Rack If anyone has any questions regarding any of this, go for it.

Last edited by migdaddy; 04-28-2010 at 02:35 AM.

Quick Reply: Final Tire Rack review