Hopefully my last questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 11:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hopefully my last questions

Okay guys. I've come to somewhat of a decision as far as tires go. Right now I've got pretty new slicks on the front and some cheap mud terrains on the back. (31s) I've decided I'm getting either maxxis buckshot or cooper st or stt. I drive 90% road and 10% offroad(usually some pretty bad mud). The buckshot are the cheapest with the st's pretty close to them and the stt's quite a bit more. That said what would y'all recommend?

Once I figure out what type I need to decide on size. I could either just stick 31s on the back and leave the front as is. Other options are to get a whole new set(either 31, 32, or 33). What are yalls opinions on size?

I'm going to be riding my current tires fir most of the summer but am looking at optionsso I can let my parents know.

Sorry for the long question but thanks to any replies!

Old 04-20-2010, 12:40 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'd suggest a 265/75-16 (32x10.50) mud tire. The Buckshots get good reviews. I'd also suggest looking at the BFG MT KM, Toyo MT, Pro Comp Xtreme MT, Mickey Thompson MTZ and **** Cepek Mud Country.

Old 04-20-2010, 01:25 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If you drive 90% road then I would go with the Coopers. We had Maxxis tires on a Jeep Cherokee and they wore terrible and the road manners were not that great. Got twice the mileage with a set of BFG K/M.

Old 04-21-2010, 08:22 AM
Originally Posted by wandell
I'd suggest a 265/75-16 (32x10.50) mud tire. The Buckshots get good reviews. I'd also suggest looking at the BFG MT KM, Toyo MT, Pro Comp Xtreme MT, Mickey Thompson MTZ and **** Cepek Mud Country.
not mud grapplers?

Old 04-21-2010, 12:09 PM
The Mud Grappler performs well, but it's extremely loud and wears quickly. The new Trail Grappler would also be a good choice.

Old 04-21-2010, 06:02 PM
The Mud Grappler performs well, but it's extremely loud and wears quickly. The new Trail Grappler would also be a good choice.
bummer. i was set on getting a set of them when the time came for some new tires because they look incredible but i dont want to have to buy more after 25k miles

what tires wear the best as far as mud terrain are concerned ? i have also been looking at the super swammper all terrains and derek cepeck or however you spell it

Old 04-21-2010, 10:04 PM
I've read mixed reviews on the Super Swamper Trxus AT and would not recommend them. The BFG MT's have always had a good rep for treadwear and I believe the Toyo MT's wear well also. I've read some great reviews on the **** Cepek Mud Country also.
Maybe a very aggressive AT would be a good choice, like the **** Cepek FC II, BFG AT KO or Pro Comp Xtreme AT. But keep in mind, no AT tire is gonna be great in mud.

Trending Topics

Old 04-21-2010, 11:16 PM
I've read mixed reviews on the Super Swamper Trxus AT and would not recommend them. The BFG MT's have always had a good rep for treadwear and I believe the Toyo MT's wear well also. I've read some great reviews on the **** Cepek Mud Country also.
Maybe a very aggressive AT would be a good choice, like the **** Cepek FC II, BFG AT KO or Pro Comp Xtreme AT. But keep in mind, no AT tire is gonna be great in mud.
i know i have the bfg at now and the wear has been great and i havent really taking them out in anything hardcore but i have gone through some stuff that would not have been able to without them so they have been good i was just looking for something a little more aggressive

Old 04-22-2010, 12:10 AM
Are the st's good enough in the mud or are the stt's worth the extra cash?

Old 04-28-2010, 06:49 PM
i have a few budys runing both the st and stt. the st prolly pulls just as good if not better and will last way longer than the stt.

Old 04-28-2010, 07:47 PM
Other than looks and the ability to rotate front to rear, not much need for M/T's all the way around since you are two wheel drive, with the exception of a little help turning (until they clog up).
Things to consider:
Rotating you can go with bigger tires on the rear than you can on the front so if you want to rotate that means smaller tires on the rear (match front). If not go with bigger tires in the rear (32's or 33's)
Motor Since you are two wheel drive you can turn M/T 33's in the rear all day long. So dont worry about going up in size.
Being two wheel drive I dont think you will see much difference between your tire choices, your gonna make it or be stuck reguardless of which one of your M/Ts you decide to go with. I think the real decision here is not so much which tire but if you want to go with just 2 of them or 4 of them. Keeping in mind what I said above regarding looks and proper rotation.

Old 04-28-2010, 08:39 PM
Originally Posted by mdhawkin
Other than looks and the ability to rotate front to rear, not much need for M/T's all the way around since you are two wheel drive, with the exception of a little help turning (until they clog up).
Things to consider:
Rotating you can go with bigger tires on the rear than you can on the front so if you want to rotate that means smaller tires on the rear (match front). If not go with bigger tires in the rear (32's or 33's)
Motor Since you are two wheel drive you can turn M/T 33's in the rear all day long. So dont worry about going up in size.
Being two wheel drive I dont think you will see much difference between your tire choices, your gonna make it or be stuck reguardless of which one of your M/Ts you decide to go with. I think the real decision here is not so much which tire but if you want to go with just 2 of them or 4 of them. Keeping in mind what I said above regarding looks and proper rotation.

Thanks. Right now I'm leaning towards 4 ST or Buckshot in a 265. I'd really like the stance of a 285 but its gonna suck power and they're more expensive.

Old 04-28-2010, 08:59 PM
Originally Posted by triathlonrunner
Thanks. Right now I'm leaning towards 4 ST or Buckshot in a 265. I'd really like the stance of a 285 but its gonna suck power and they're more expensive.
Yea, keeping them turning and cleaning is your friend in mud. I think its a good choice.

Quick Reply: Hopefully my last questions