Brake Fluid

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2010, 07:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brake Fluid

I found out that you have the choice of 6 or 7 mounting holes when purchasing new rotors. Is there any way to tell what you need without removing wheels?

The service rep at my local dealership is an idiot and had no idea what I was talking about. He thought I meant the lugs lugs. I know I have 6 lugs, I want to know how many mounting holes on a 2007 F150 4wd FX4.

I also saw a truck on the lift and the tech just left the brake calipers hanging by the hose for at least the 5 minutes I was there. To the best of my knowledge that is a big NO-NO. This deaelership is helpful, knowledgable, and at least one tech seems in my opinion to be careless/negligent.

Thanks,

Sorry this was supposed to be titled Brake Rotor mounting holes

Last edited by FX4Nick; 03-15-2010 at 07:39 PM.
Old 03-16-2010, 12:01 PM
Originally Posted by FX4Nick
He thought I meant the lugs lugs. I know I have 6 lugs, I want to know how many mounting holes on a 2007 F150 4wd FX4.
... if you have 6 "lugs lugs" then your rotor should have 6 holes for those 6 lugs to pass through. (7 holes if you count the one in the middle) The rotor mounts on the same lugs as the wheels.

and no, you shouldn't let the caliper hang... use some wire or a zip-tie to support it while you change your pads and rotor.

Old 03-17-2010, 05:49 AM
THe 7 lug is part of the Heavy Duty payload package. That package is only available on XL or XLT's with 8 foot boxes (regular or supercabs). This combination of bed/cab configuration holds true for 2010 trucks back to 2004 New Body Styles. The Heritage Body Style had many more configurations that could have the Heavy Duty payload package. In the case of your FX4, you have 6 lug hubs.

Hanging the caliper by the hose is a sure sign of work being done by someone who doesn't care.

Old 03-17-2010, 12:59 PM
SVT,

Thanks for the info. I pulled the wheels off yesterday morn and confirmed I have 6 holes on my rotors. The guy at Napa figured that the 7 hole rotors would be for a HD or lightning truck possibly.

At this small dealership the service desk is right in the shop. The first rack isn't more than 12 ft from the desk. I was shocked to see this caliper hanging from the hose, and left like that. The "tech" walked away for more than 5 minutes with it like that. I wanted to say something, but I couldn't get any usefull information out of them, I figured I might as well be talking to the wall.

Quick Reply: Brake Fluid